The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 53 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#17967 - 10/18/04 03:12 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Sher,
Please keep us all informed. I'm so glad Nancy was able to answer so many questions. This boomer home is worth it's weight in gold, is it not? We will all be with you on Nov. 1st. [Smile]

Hugs - JJ

#17968 - 10/18/04 05:44 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Sher,

Please keep us informed . Glad that I could help . We have to get the word out about this . A lot of women our age have thyroid problems and nothing is said.

The thyroid doctor will probably do a biosphy of your lump on you neck . They doctor did one on my neck to make sure it was not cancer. They have a find needle that will extract fuild from the lump . It will not hurt . At least It did not hurt me.

Take care, Want to hear after you have been too the doctor.

Nancy

#17969 - 10/19/04 01:30 AM Re: Thyroid Surgery
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ladies under this same TOPIC I posted and NO ONE bothered to read it. Its a sort of joke and rather funny if I say so myself. Please read under Estrogen Pregnancy and Women, it'll give you a chuckle. [Wink]

#17970 - 10/19/04 05:51 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We have to get in the habit of opening the topic side. Yesterday there were about four topics going in one forum. [Wink]

Sher, I'm glad Nancy is able to shed some light. Please know we carry you in our prayers. Come running back after the first of November and update us.

Heck, come back before then and post in the other forums. [Wink]

#17971 - 10/22/04 02:42 AM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Dana_dup1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
HI. I have Graves disease, and had a sub-total thyroidectomy almost three years ago. I understand your concerns and would just encourage you to read and research, and make sure you have a doctor who knows about thyroid disease. Most people do well with the meds and or surgery, But you must be in charge of your own health. I hope I don't sound snitty (certainly don't mean to), it's just that I have had a lot of rocky experiences, as I have never followed the text book with my disorder. But let me say, that I'm a very rare case, as I said most people do well with treatment. Just read and learn as much as you can-and make sure you have a doctor that listens! You must insist on the best care! Dana

#17972 - 10/22/04 03:24 AM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Sadie Offline

Dana,
Have you gotten in touch with the The Thyroid Foundation of America, Inc. in Boston, MA.
I will send you there web site. Or I have posted it on this site. I had done reseach before I had the operation on my right lobe. I had a wonderful surgeon . If it had not been for the Tryroid Foundatin Of America. I would not have not know as much as I know now about Thyroid conditons. I was lucky I was told that I did well. I went into this operation with no choice , but to have it.

You have to be positive at all time. At least that helps.

Nancy

#17973 - 10/22/04 02:20 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Dana_dup1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks Nancy for the info. I have literally been in touch with medical personnel from all over the country since the beginning of my disorder. I knew "things" weren't going right from the begining. My surgery went very well and I have no complaints there, however my levels never have remained stable, and herein lies the problem for me. It has come down to having my levels drawn all the time in order to adjust medication. Almost two years ago I had a medically induced thyroid storm, because a dr. did not listen to me-it has left me with some problems. But I am happy to report that my GP is now realizing I know when my levels are off, and we are able to catch it a bit faster. It still is frustrating, but at least she is listening, for the most part . Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll be fine! Dana

#17974 - 10/22/04 05:37 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Sadie Offline

Dana,
I had my surgery July6th . I went to my thyroid doctor and ran a blood test to see if my right lobe of my thyroid was working normal . I did not have to take thyroid medication . I will have to be checked each year . This is to make sure that since the the right lobe took over that it continues to work normally. I keep having normal thyroid reading. I am truly greatful . I had a cyst/Goiter removed .

I think our bodies tell of when something is wrong and I am glad that you got your doctor to liston to you . I hope that you continue to do well also. Stay postive that always helps.
Did you see the Post Vicki Taylor has graves Disease also.

P.S. Just on same note; I went into this surgery and was determined to do well and stayed postive . I had read the risk and they were low and talked to my primary doctor who new about the surgery and the surgeon that the thyroid doctor had recommed for me. You have risk with any surgery . Still like to be postive . it helps a lot.

Nancy

[ October 22, 2004, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#17975 - 10/22/04 05:48 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dana, you are so right about being our best advocates. We know when something isn't right with our bodies. We need to communicate until we get the right answers. I think speaking with other patients who have similar conditions works miracles. Sometimes they can be more helpful than the doctors. You can pick up little tid-bits that can be life changing!

#17976 - 10/22/04 06:03 PM Re: Thyroid Surgery
Sadie Offline

Dotsie,
That is why we are here to help each other in the worst of times and through the best of times. Now who said that. Was it Edgar Allen Poe? I agree with you.

Nancy

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved