The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 57 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179103 - 04/03/09 03:06 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is the answer from my friend who owns her own eldercare business:

Hmmm….. if the elderly person is not competent/ vulnerable, etc., and they are being given some additional substance, I'd call Adult Protective Services, and get them involved. (My license requires that I report anything like this)

This can take many forms, but it could eventually remove the person from their current environment, place them in a more protective situation, etc. Guardianship can also evolve, and this would entail appointing an attorney for the client, to represent him/her alone. APS can also bring in the police, etc.

Hope that is helpful. Each jurisdiction has an Adult Protective Services Program, under the Department of Social Services in the county.

-----------------

#179113 - 04/03/09 04:00 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
gims,
I just saw this. Play it cool. Don't let the evildoer suspect
you suspect anything. I made that mistake and blew up before I
thought it through. Get evidence. Get witnesses. Have someone
in authority set a trap and video tape whatever is going on.
Proof you need proof. Or else the evildoer will spin everything
around on you.

#179147 - 04/04/09 01:36 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This is just awful Gims. But Jabber is correct, you need absolute proof as it will come down to her word over yours. Once you have proof go to the authorities but say nothing to the perpetrator or she'll try and cover her tracks.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#179170 - 04/04/09 04:48 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'm doing as jabber said, playing it cool, while gathering info. I want to be sure of the facts before I make a move. As for the visit Thursday, I didn't feel it necessary to take immediate... that is after I took a few steps to make my mom feel and look better.
It's not over, not by a long shot. Thanks chatty and jabber for adding your thoughts...

#179208 - 04/04/09 02:05 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Welcome! Stay cool! Be aware! Stay ahead of the curve, my friend!

#179407 - 04/06/09 09:14 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: jabber]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
gims -- you're on the right path, for sure. Things can only go better for you.

Dotsie -- Your friend's advice does _not_ sound like something we'd do -- calling adult protective services which might eventually get mom removed from her home? She IS competent, which is part of the problem. Except she's old, feeble and can't see very well (or hear for that matter).

Rather, judging from the other stories on here, I think the problem is systemic -- i.e., this is the American way of dealing with the elderly -- and we'd better see that it changes before we're all in that category!!!! Over-medicate, keep them pliable, quiet and hidden. It's a terrible shame. Those institutions need to serve healthy, fresh, nutritious food (which they often don't). And yeah, for that kind of money, someone should be delivering bottles of water daily to everyone, just to make sure they're getting enough.

Edited by DJ (04/06/09 09:16 PM)

#179464 - 04/07/09 04:54 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: DJ]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: DJ
... I think the problem is systemic -- i.e., this is the American way of dealing with the elderly ... Over-medicate, keep them pliable, quiet and hidden.
AND, THIS PI22E2 ME OFF! They are still human beings!

#179465 - 04/07/09 05:21 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: DJ]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: DJ
-- and we'd better see that it changes before we're all in that category!!!!
If what C. theorists claim is coming down the pike, we needn't worry, DJ. Ailing elderly, along with less than perfect others, will be the first to be X-terminated. Note: #7 or 8 (of 13) of the following. (Make sure to catch #11, also.)
For those who have not seen this, and choose to watch, please be WARNED - some of the graphics will hurt. Whether it is entirely true, or not, it's a good idea to watch the whole thing... if for nothing else but information. It may make you think twice when making plans for the future.

#179478 - 04/07/09 06:56 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: gims]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Gims, I would make an appointment with an internist in another town. Bring the list of medication she takes and not mention any of your suspicions, so you won't influence him. It is very possible that her medication dosage has to be changed every once in a while. Hopefully that is the reason.

I would also speak to other families that have their parents there. Just hear them out and not tell them of your own suspicions.

#179481 - 04/07/09 12:23 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Make sure the doctor is a gerontologist because medications act differently in the elderly.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved