The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#180518 - 04/20/09 10:14 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: DJ]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
my sister found this info on Wikipedia. My mom had many of these symptoms. We're trying to keep her away from Tylenol now!

side Effects from (Acetominophen)
Increased Blood Pressure
Depression
Confusion
Severe Itching And Rash
Extreme Dizziness With Hypertension (See 1 Above)
Muscle Pains
Liver Damage/Failure
Easy To Overdose: It Only Takes A Few Days Of Maximum Dosage To Achieve Liver Failure, especially with other OTC drugs containing acetominophen or ibuprofen
Stupor, Coma
Death.

Side Effects from (Acetominophen + Aspirin + Caffeine)

See 1 To 10 Above
Stomach Ache, Diarrhea, Vomiting
Shakiness, Jitters
Insomnia
Rebound Headaches (as the drug wears off)
Tinnitus, Ringing Of The Ears, Hearing Loss
Blurred Vision
Anxiety, Paranoia, Nervousness
Unusual Bleeding, Bruising;
Swelling, Difficulty Breathing, Closing of Throat, Etc.
Sensitivity To Sunlight

Side Effects from (Ibuprofen) Include:
Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Seizures
Vision Loss And Blurred Vision
Liver Failure
Chest Pain
Difficulty Breathing
Fast Heartbeat
Fever, Chills, Muscle Aches And Pains
Skin Rash, Redness, Blistering, Peeling or Itching
Stomach Pain, Cramps
Swelling Of Eyelids, Throat, Lips, Feet
Unusual Bleeding, Bruising
Unusual Tiredness, Weakness
Weight Change
Seizures

Side Effects from aspirin (Salicylic Acid):

In Very High Doses, Ringing Of The Ears, Stomach Bleeding.

#180608 - 04/21/09 02:25 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, how is your mom doing these days?

#180936 - 04/26/09 11:23 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: Dotsie]
DJ Offline

oh my gosh -- she's back to her normal self! Her memory isn't so great, but who's is any more? Seriously, we thought she had dimentia there for a while, and got her completely off meds, including Tylenol etc. Everything except vitamins.

My sister made an interesting observation. I copied her email here. Ross might be interested in this theory:

"I have a new theory of Mom's hospitalizations.They seem to coincide with her retinal exams. She had at least 4 trips to the ER last year, and she gets 4 eye exams a year. For the last 2 hospitalizations, she had an eye exam 2 days prior to going to the ER. For these exams she's injected with a dye into her arm. It's called Fluorescite. I was with her last time but I didn't catch what was going on until it was too late to stop it. The eye doctors don't know not to inject into her right arm, her breast cancer side, so that's a problem.The Fluroescite is shellfish based and Mom's allergic to shellfish. So am I. I've had it for an MRI and had a really bad reaction. But the worst part is they shine lights into her eyes to photograph her retina. At this point I think she becomes hypnotized, loses her memory, etc.

"Here are the contraindications of the Fluorescite from drugs.com: Nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal distress, headache, syncope, hypotension, and symptoms and signs of hypersensitivity have occurred. Cardiac arrest, basilar artery ischemia, severe shock, convulsions, thrombophlebitis at the injection site, and rare cases of death have been reported. Extravasation of the solution at the injection site causes intense pain at the site and a dull aching pain in the injected arm

"The last eye doctor was a total total moron, and had a really hard time with Mom. When he called me into the exam room to help, he was having trouble with his computer, he was sweating, and he seemed more confused than Mom. Throughout her hospitalization I was kinda sorta thinking these bright lights shining into her eyes may have caused some sort of stupor but it didn't really kick in until I saw that on December 2 she had an eye exam and on December 4 she was hospitalized."

#180947 - 04/27/09 07:46 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: DJ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
DJ, I'm a big advocate of investigating medical decisions, especially in cases where high medical costs are involved. My own research has literally saved me from a total operation to an artificial knee replacement.

That’s wonderful news that your Mom is back to her normal self.

#180982 - 04/27/09 05:09 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: Edelweiss3]
fernal Offline

Loc: CA
Wow, DJ- you are truly your Mom's advocate and thank goodness for your compassion.
I had my husband near my side when they wanted to put me in a nursing home and he stopped the process and got me into a rehab facility that while helping me walk again- was the scariest nursing care I have ever encountered. Thank God,he was there for me.
Tip for You- Constantly get copies of her medical records-it is your right and it will keep them on the ball since they know you will be overseeing what they are doing.
Warm Wishes to you and your mom,
Fern Alix LaRocca CFP
www.wholeheartedway.com

#180999 - 04/28/09 12:51 AM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: fernal]
DJ Offline

Yes -- we have a family friend who's an osteopath and we gave him copies of all her medical records. He's been a great assist. And my sister is absolutely brilliant. Here's the irony of it all -- when mom was a kid, her parents were Christian Scientists. I pointed out to her that she grew up never taking any medication so why was she taking everything that doctor dreamed up. She actually said she didn't think it'd affect her at all. Another time she said, Maybe I like it. Hmmm. So my sister and I were thinking we might have to go to Al anon meetings for a mom who wouldn't give up Ambien! But yes, thank goodness we detoxed her!

#181062 - 04/28/09 05:45 PM Re: What Would You Do? [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, I printed your post and will share it with Ross. I'll also lwt you know if he has any feedback for you. Glad to hear your Mom is doing better. It reminds me of an aunt. Her children pretty much thought she was on her last legs, but it was all medicine related. They found a doctor who stripped her of all her meds and began adding back what he thought was appropriate. She lives on with a clear mind.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved