The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 213 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#178746 - 03/30/09 11:11 PM Atheists call for 'debaptism'
gims Offline

Loc: USA
check this out... link: De-baptized
Some people are so stupid! Can you be de-baptized? Why would someone need a certificate to turn their back on God?

#178761 - 03/31/09 06:54 AM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: gims]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:
Can you be de-baptized?

I can only speak for Catholicism and the answer is NO. Baptism is a Sacrament that cannot be undone by man. Catholics lapse, cross over to other faith communities and even totally give up on belief in God but, the Sacrament remains as God does not renege on His covenant with man. We even have a saying: "once a Catholic, always a Catholic."

Quote:
The Church wonders aloud why, if atheists and secularists believe baptism is so meaningless, they are letting it upset them.

I have always wondered about that myself and find atheists of this sort rely greatly on the "strawman argument" because they have nothing else to argue against faith.

#178783 - 03/31/09 02:02 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Lola]
Ellemm Offline

Just to play devil's advocate here, Mormons have the practice of baptizing people without their knowledge or consent -- even Jews and members of other faiths. People have protested vociferously against this practice (I think it is confined to the dead but don't really know), pointing out that a church that places so much emphasis on the strength of family doesn't seem to be respecting others' beliefs, upbringing, and wishes.

How do mainstream Christians feel in learning that a church whose beliefs they do not share has them on their rolls? Not too good, I don't think.

While I don't subscribe to unbaptising, it's not my business. I'd assume for some folks it's like having been tattooed (spiritually) when they were children and wishing to have it removed. Or changing their names. Just because it's not important to me doesn't mean it's not important to someone else.

#178785 - 03/31/09 03:35 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Ellemm]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
If they think it's so meaningless, why do they care? I don't mean to sound harsh, but really... Any ideas?

#178804 - 03/31/09 06:48 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK

#178808 - 03/31/09 07:06 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Lola]
Ellemm Offline

I suspect a bit of shock value as well because most people who fall away from religion do so quietly, but the people quoted didn't say that baptism was meaningless. They said they rejected it and church teachings and beliefs (as well as infant baptism because it wasn't a choice), which is a different thing altogether. At least that's the way I understood the link, which is very interesting. Learn something new every day....

#178844 - 03/31/09 10:20 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Ellemm]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The bible states that baptism is by water, so how do Mormons baptize people without their knowledge? Good trick if they could do it.

If someone is dumb enough to walk away from God, why would they need to be debaptized? Just as easy for them to ignore the sacrement of baptism as easy as they do God.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#178849 - 03/31/09 11:29 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Lola]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Originally Posted By: Lola
rely greatly on the "strawman argument" because they have nothing else to argue against faith.

what is that as an argument?

#178853 - 03/31/09 11:42 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Ellemm]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: Ellemm

I'd assume for some folks it's like having been tattooed (spiritually) when they were children and wishing to have it removed. Or changing their names. Just because it's not important to me doesn't mean it's not important to someone else.

i would gess thats a good point of view on it.

Most people are baptised as infants when they have no say or choice on the matter being done in first place and also what faith they are baptised into.

As an adult who disagreed with the faith or was asamed of the faith or perhapps wanted to in a sense diowen that faith then de-baptising might be a big value to them. Or just definatlie just wanted to be non christion, perhapps. Funnie but we seem to acknolage somone as being of that faith when they become baptised into another faith and sometimes not before it. What happens to people who just don't wanbt baptised into a new faith? Their kinda left belonging to a place even if they do not want to belong to it.

A bit like what you were saying about mormons baptising people and how would one feel being "on-role" to said church. Same kinda thing only done by your owen familie.

Also perhapps to stop others overriding thir adult choise by reminding them constantlie that they actulie belong to said church. "oh your not a christion, ok but what church weer you brought up in" those types of conversasions.

Many people just won't accept some people being non christion or non anything.

If thrs a charge for this and it turnes out to be a good busness deal then perhaps we get to know how whished for this was, untill then we never know.

I think perhaps one would have to make it to a place of desiring to be non christion and reasons for that choise before getting into this mindset in the first place.

#178856 - 03/31/09 11:49 PM Re: Atheists call for 'debaptism' [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Dotsie

perhaps in an athiest life it has some meaning as well as belonging someweer they don't want to belong. Perhapps they want to protest agenst the institusion also. So reversing the baptisum might for that indivduel reverse whatever meaning they have put upon it also.

Whys is it news in the first place that some people do want de-baptised?
Why would anyone who is christion care?

Not being baptised dose't mean they turned their backs on God, just a particulare religion.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved