The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 98 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#177692 - 03/20/09 09:30 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
lola

you and i posted same type of stuff from or about what pope saying what he did and that its just stuff no diffrent from other religons

and Northern ireland not being a holie war or a fight about religious diffrenses but being ecconomic and political and about british colinisasion of ireland scotland and weales.

your right to say to ask poppie for experinses as she had this all her life me just adulthood. Childhood in this environments totalie diffrent and potensiolie life forming.

If it dose go back, i will leave as i am not having L near this, i can as my families elsweer. I understand why local peoples has not left

#177703 - 03/20/09 10:48 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: celtic_flame]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Celtic, Edel - I have heard nothing of these incidents here. It a wonder, as global as our communication may be, that we really know little about what is happening in the rest of the world.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#177714 - 03/20/09 11:49 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Its the same in the states news wise ladies, we only know what the main stream media wants us to know. Unless you're smart enought to listen to the other TV people like O'Reilly, Hannity and Limbaugh, or radio personalities like Dr. Savage. They tell it like it is!

Gods blessing to you with my prayers for all of your safety.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#177721 - 03/21/09 09:05 AM Re: frend shot at [Re: chatty lady]
Mij Offline

Both the St. Patrick's Day rioting and the German school shooting were at the top of the World News Section on Google News. Google News is a compilation of news stories from all sources, including BBC, Al Jazeera, Reuters, Associated Press, pick your paper, they are all listed, and you can get whatever slant you like. Stories are also carried in tons of languages. You can skim and read what interests you in a lot less time than watching a TV broadcast.

I'm getting really tired of hearing these gross generalizations of what news is available in the U.S. and what is not. There is no excuse for not getting news from the rest of the world if you want it.

Sorry to hear about the situation in Northern Ireland, Celtic, I'm sure we have all been hopeful that peace would continue.

#177725 - 03/21/09 01:02 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: Mij]
Ellemm Offline

Celtic, I'm sorry about the renewed tensions in N. Ireland. I have been there several times when the helicopters were overhead all the time, the army and police patroled the streets in saracens, and people were checking for bombs under cars. And tit-for-tat shootings of Protestants and Catholics was common; sometimes these idiots plugged the wrong people by mistake. It was very menacing. For those of you who haven' traveled to this part of the world, police stations are basically bunkered: virtually hidden behind concertina wire and sandbags, and the police vehicles are armored personnel carriers -- or they were back then.

I had no trouble learning this information on the mainstream news, by the way. Ditto the shootings in Germany. I check CNN, msnbc, FOX news, BBC, etc. FOX likes to pretend it's not mainstream but it's as mainstream as anything else. Most of us get cable television and it's just another channel. They're hardly some underground source. And I don't view talking heads as regular news sources regardless of political leanings. ,

And celtic, the tensions between Protestants and Catholics aren't anything like they are in your neck of the woods. We're just too big and too diverse. Our Catholics are made up of a number of ethnics groups: Irish, Italians, Poles, Latinos -- a huge group -- etc. And our Protestants divide, very roughly, into more formal and mainline groups like Lutherans and Presbyterians and Episcopalians, and evangelicals like Baptists, who are predominant in the South. And then there are the nondenominational churches, which frankly confuse me a bit in terms of theology, but they are Christian and bible-based. And just to round it all off, we have the Mormons. I haven't even touched on the more unusual sects!

There are plenty of people who consider that others are going to hell or members of cults, but those views tend to be more personal than political. The basic view of Americans is that they are Christians and Protestant. Jews tend to be concentrated in larger cities. (For example, there are at least 50 churches in my relatively small town and there never has been a temple. And believe me, in this part of the Bible Belt we have some of the, uh, more fringe people for sure!) In recent years, the evangelicals have held sway in terms of public discussion. President Bush was an evangelical; ditto Mike Huckabee, etc. The big issues are homosexuality, abortion, and evolution. Now, evangelicals absolutely cannot stand Catholics, but they will unite with them politically on social issues. We are not, however, shooting at each other for any religious reasons; that activity is entirely secular -- and practiced all too regularly.

#177726 - 03/21/09 01:02 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: Mij]
celtic_flame Offline

googlie news thanks i certinlie try that.....poppie was talking to me about cnn and the main news groups you get and that they can be acessed via the internet, but if google say or do it all from all the world i delighted about that. As sometimes i onlie get to hear things in usa on world news on tv and many stories must be compeating for reporting and they probablie pick the most shocking witch leaves a lot not reported.

thanks mij for the info.

yea theirs a lot heer thats not reported or given a strange slant on them not to couse panic or inflame the situasion and again in the way terrorist work normale folks are told (ie poppies siter) not to go polic, so they certinlie won't be reported. I understand that but creepie at same time why stuff not reported.

i still wake up hopefull pece continue its trying to go to bed i same way that worries or troubles me.

#177727 - 03/21/09 01:08 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: celtic_flame]
Ellemm Offline

Sorry, that post was too long anyway. Following up on Lola's Irish comments, one of the reasons that the Irish are so overrepresented in the US is that they had nothing to return to. They couldn't own land, had no voting rights, etc., so once they set sail they were stuck whether they liked it or not. Quite a lot of immigrants returned to their countries of origin, something we Americans tend not to think of. But not the Irish.

My own family obviously made it through the famine because my grandparents did emigrate until about 1910. But they were in the same situation: once you left, you left. I have actually found my family on ship rolls. (My people are from County Limerick, for what that's worth, and boy, do we look it!)

#177728 - 03/21/09 01:37 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: Ellemm]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: Ellemm
Celtic, I'm sorry about the renewed tensions in N. Ireland. I have been there several times when the helicopters were overhead all the time, the army and police patroled the streets in saracens, and people were checking for bombs under cars. And tit-for-tat shootings of Protestants and Catholics was common; sometimes these idiots plugged the wrong people by mistake. It was very menacing. For those of you who haven' traveled to this part of the world, police stations are basically bunkered: virtually hidden behind concertina wire and sandbags, and the police vehicles are armored personnel carriers -- or they were back then.

thats what it was like and one joke was how to spot a torist...thir the ones looking up at helecopters. That noise and trying to sleep throw it went on for mounths well all summer and i used to live beside big polise stasion so it was very bussie with helecopters. The memories those noise produce in me is shocking and i onlie been heer my adult life. They onlie bring the copters out for trouble, the armie has stoped patroling the streets, their always has been road blocks but not as frequint as thir once was and not like they used to have them, its more spot cheks just in case not becouse they think...a sutile diffrence.

The polise stations are still barraks and like they were. When thir cheekie enough to go shoting into them last week then its understandable why thir barakes and fortress like.

Now we have normale marked and unmarked police cars but a few of older style ones for riotes but the face that some polic cars are normale cars was amazine. Now police is everyweer, thir back in thir fortrise jeeps (not everyone though) but thir back in bullet proof vests and was always armed like your owen polise (this is diffrent from rest of uk) but they re-issued the rifles and thir going about in groups of 4 6 and 8 again.

I worked in a plase that was targetted quite a lot by troubled youths and first time i called police for assistanse i nearlie fainted when 8 big lads with rifles and bullet proof vests jumped into place. It seemed extreem but was normale then. So seeing that back is dishartening allthough necassarie.

i glade you been heer but i hade't taken it on boared and i would't know how to describe the diffrenses heer as to whats in usa. I just glade you know and understand the significancse of helecopters and policemen and policse stasions and such and why the noise and presense is just so dishartening...

ellman what had you heer work or familie? if you can say

#177730 - 03/21/09 02:09 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

my goodness i found the anderstowen news within the search, big mainland papers one would expect but not wee local papers, but i know to cheek bbc and stuff without knowing that id been lost..Also i know the outcry at the students that were arrested so knew to cheek that and found a storie. I think the police were too lenient and many more should have been arrested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7949145.stm

this above is one of the side streets off one main road called
ormou road. On the ormou road was hundreds almost too bisie to get a car up the road and throw the people and its a big road.

i can't find anything on shooting two nights ago and i expected that too be their, as it was reported to police so media shoudl have picked it up by now. I will keep cheeking.

Belows a good overview articale about all thats been going on the last lot of weeks.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0318/p07s02-wogn.html

#177731 - 03/21/09 02:10 PM Re: frend shot at [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

EW could you do the same for the shooting in genrmany? As i could't find a search within the news area or i would have searched for its name...thanks if you could do that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved