The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#175198 - 02/19/09 11:20 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am glad that you found an opening, Edelweiss. I, too, hope that she will meet others who are able to think and talk and fun to be around, for her.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#175199 - 02/19/09 11:24 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

By the way, I am also glad that you intend to get your mom some medicine to deal with the obsessive parts of her personality. I have a touch of it myself, and would wish for a gentle approach to my mental health.

#175231 - 02/20/09 12:59 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
The doctor gave me the anti depressants for Mom today. Boy hope this works. If she starts to throw out the mail herself, then I will fall on my knees and thank the medical industry.

Anno, have you tried any kind of medication to help you?

Anne, you are most likely right about my Mom being mentally unstable. I think I try to see the half full glass than the half empty…

Chatty, I will have a talk at the senior facility about my mother’s mail. Maybe they are willing to arrange some mail detour.

#175256 - 02/20/09 04:17 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Edelweiss3]
Ellemm Offline

I hope things go well with your mother and heartily agree with the suggestion to intercept your mother's junk mail if need be. For one thing, it's a serious fire hazard and likely won't be tolerated. For another, there's no need to add to your mother's stress if she truly can't manage the paper. Don't feel guilty: whatever you do to keep your mother safe is a good thing. My own MIL is mentally ill; we had a terrible time getting guardianship over her and getting her settled into a home, but in the long run it was worth it. Her money is protected and she is safe.

#175264 - 02/20/09 04:57 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Ellemm]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Edelweiss,
I'm glad you got the ADs. Yes, AD's can alter OCD behavior with regards to ANY OCD action. It also has been shown to help dementia a bit as well.
Once she is on the AD, after about two weeks, she will communicate better and can be talked to about her hoarding and other OCD behaviors.
OCD is a SYMPTOM of a myraid of other illnesses of the mind. Usually it is depression or trauma. The symptom of OCD can be controlled, also, with an anti psychotic. I've seen it control OCD with very, very low doses of anti psychotics. I think you are on the right path with the med's, Edelweiss!
Also: Keep in mind that medications can be switched until she has the right one. If this one does not control some of her urges, just tell the doctor and he can try another. Again, at times it is an anti psychotic that controls this symptom.
OCD is a symptom as are other coping stratagies the mind has to block out the real illness. Is she likely depressed?
If she is healthy bodily, she needs to be looked into as far as psyche meds to level her thinking and help her to be happy. Remember, Edelweiss, she cannot help her OCD or depression, etc, it is a disease and there is medication for it. It's not uncommon and I run into a LOT of patients of her age on psyche meds.
There is a back lash about taking psyche meds that some people have, they think that means people are "crazy," or "out of control," but indeed, they are just sick and the SSRI AD's provide for more clear thinking.
Other coping skills besides OCD are all the "phobia's," and panic attacks, etc... Now panic is an illness unto itself though, called GAD, (Generalized Anxiety Disorder.)
Watch to see if she tries to replace her behavior after about two or three weeks and if so, to what. I suspect that if the dose is high enough and the AD is the right one, it will change her for the better straight off.
What AD did the doctor give you? Remember that she must take the med every day to have the effect that you and she need. Sometimes the elderly have issues with such medication.
There is a problem if your mother REFUSES medication, and many, such as myself, have mothers that do just that.
You say her mind is sound and that is great, she just needs a bit of stirring up in the serotonin way and she may be just fine.
Please keep me informed, there are other things to try before you try control.

Best to you, Edelweiss,

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#175284 - 02/20/09 09:38 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Thanks Ellmann. That statement about not feeling guilty, made me feel better. I have caught myself getting impatient with her. I hate that, because I love her dearly. Patience is truly a virtue, and I have to learn to count to ten more often before I respond to her irrational ways.

And it’s true, Dancer. I have to see my mother’s behaviour as a sickness. That helps me deal with it. I don’t know what the medication is called. I can check it out tomorrow if you are interested. She has to take it a week, and then the doctor will decide if she should change it.
I can’t thank you enough for your valuable information. Hopefully this will make a big wonderful turn in our lives, and if not; at least we tried.

Hugs to all my friends!!!!!!

#175419 - 02/22/09 05:47 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Edelweiss3]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Edelweiss, you are a wonderful person and I'm happy I could help in any way. You are doing something and more than many children do for their parents. I admire your devotion. Make sure you do things for yourself as well when caring for a parent! It's too easy to forget our own needs when it comes to a sick parent. I've seen it in the hospital when people come in with their parents to the E.R.. They are tired and emotional and have been care-taking so long it's the only thing they think about.

It's important to think of you, the next generation, you are very, very important too!

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#175442 - 02/22/09 09:39 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss3 Offline

We had our three year old granddaughter with us for four days. Tomorrow she goes back to her parents.

We also partially moved my mother to the senior home this weekend, while sweet “A” entertained the whole residential wing. She rolled her little red ball along the wide halls, smiled at each and every resident that crossed her way, and got the whole staff pampering and playing with her.

The weekend was full of contrasts; observing the joy of living diminishing in my mother’s eyes, and literally feeling the exuberance and fascination of life through my grandchild’s eyes.

The process of living; - the way it enters and leaves makes so much sense. That last stage, where we become weary, apathetically waiting for death to happen, comes on silently padded feet. It’s all a game, and we are the figures on life’s board.

Every day where we are healthy and still feel the excitement of life’s challenges is a gift. I’ve never been quite so aware of that as in the past weekend. I felt like a spectator between two stages.

Sorry, I just feel a bit melancholy. Thank you for your kind words Dancer. And you are right,..I would love to just get away for a while and tank up.

#175457 - 02/22/09 10:19 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anno Offline

I can only imagine how bitter and sweet the last few days have been for you.

I continue to hold you very close in my heart, Edelweiss. You are a gem of the rarest and shine bright.

#175474 - 02/22/09 11:50 PM Re: Moving mom to the senior home. [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My prayers are with you and your mother too. I can't even imagine being taken from my home and put somewhere else. But as you said, it is life, we will all probably have to come to grips with it one day. Ours isn't the generation that keeps the old ones at home with the family as they once did. I fully expect to be in a home of some sort myself because my children aren't of a mind to keep me around when unable to care for myself. I don't blame them and understsnd fully. Plus things have a way of working out, hopefully your mom will find friends there she will be able to relate to and enjoy the friendship of. You are all in my prayers.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved