The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#182400 - 05/17/09 01:27 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Princess Lenora
There are moments that any daughter would desire that I have had the gift to experience. When I leaned over to say good bye to my mother, she said, "I loved you since day one." From a woman with dementia! Who could ask for more? Thank you God!

PrincessLenora, good to see back here with us.

I'm so sorry about your mother. Her condition plus your grandmother's recent death, must draining and tough at times. I'm really glad, she verbalized for you the gift back again as a mother, her love for you despite whatever you might have difficulties have had in the past long ago.

My partner did tell me of some incredible moments of lucidity that his mother had despite her slow decline in dementia before she died last fall.

#182409 - 05/17/09 02:54 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Princess, that's interesting how your Mom touched the spot where the tumours are in her back. And I so love those beautiful words your Mom spoke to you. What an exquisite treasure to hold in your heart!

Sigh. I so love it when you're here.

(Maya Angelou)

#182414 - 05/17/09 12:16 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Princess, welcome home, honey. I know first-hand the ins and outs of dementia, and you were certainly given a gift by her words. I know the distance must seem like a terrible wall for you, and I'm sorry you cannot be closer to your mom where you can see her more often. Selfishly, I am glad to see you back in here though. As Eagle says, you are always missed.

#182420 - 05/17/09 02:50 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Welcome home, Princess.

I am so sorry that your mother needs to endure such pain. I know that it must be so difficult for you to be so far away. My own mother has alzheimer's and I worry for her too. How wonderful that your mom is still able to express love for you.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#182434 - 05/17/09 07:38 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Princess, it must be hard that your mother doesn't live near you. You have alot to carry on your shoulders. Hopefully you can still stop and smell the flowers along the way.

#182441 - 05/17/09 08:07 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Princess, are they giving her anything for the pain? I hope so because in this day and age, one should not have to suffer. I recall Mom seeing a pain manager who pretty much ordered medications and pain patches for her when suffering through her cancer.

Your mom's words to you are an absolute gift.

My FIL suffers from Alzheimer's so I know exactly what you are talking about. There are times when he makes total sense, then there are days when we can't figure out what the heck he's talking about. Currently, we believe he's melding the past with what he sees on TV and his dreams. It's pitiful to witness.

#182449 - 05/17/09 10:39 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Dotsie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Alzheimer's has to be terrible for the family, and my heart goes out to all of you struggling with this. I have been fortunate in not having it in my own family, but I worked with patients in varying stages of Alzheimer's and know how difficult it is on the family. Stay strong, ladies, and don't forget to have some 'me' time.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#182503 - 05/18/09 07:02 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Girlfriends, thanks for the welcome back. I seem to come and go often lately, but I think I'm back here for a while. Yes, we are all touched by Alzheimer's in one way or another. Anno, I did read about your mother in another thread. Dotsie, my mother does not watch TV anymore. I had not thought of her mind rehashing her dreams. I do know that she comes up with a lot that pertains to the past. However, she also tells me horrible things, like, "They put something on a stick in a fire, and then they put the thing into the little child's mouth." I wonder if she mixes up something like a marshmallow on a stick in a camp-fire? It's strange that she does not understand that she has cancer, but she does know where the pain is. Yes, it's best to dwell on the precious moments. xxoo

#182516 - 05/19/09 01:02 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I hate this disease. My mother's long term memory is okay, but her short term memory is horrible. She really doesn't know if she is happy or sad, fulfilled or disastified, hungry or not hungry....

And cancer on top of it all. It surely is not fair.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#182523 - 05/19/09 08:13 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
You would think there must be a way to store the short term memory into the long term memory department; something like a detour. I’ve read that we use only 12% of our brains.
Yes, like short-circuiting present information and forcing it in another department for storage.
Something similar to my heart operation. They built a detour in the chamber, and now the blood flows the right way.

Oh well….just a thought, which has probably been thought of before.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved