The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 104 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#172328 - 01/22/09 07:30 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, I appreciate your comments about spending money on clothes. I'm way too practical. Instead of her wearing designer clothes, she could have given an awesome message if she wore something off the rack. She would look good in just about anything so it really doesn't matter.

I also wish they hadn't shared that the girl's coats were made just for them by J Crew. Again, let them wear something off the rack. I guess I'm not that into clothes or over spending for the sake of celebration, especially during tough economic times.

What an example she could have set if she wore something off the rack. I think women would be cheering from the sidelines.

#172330 - 01/22/09 07:50 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I doubt either Mrs. Obama or her girls have worn anything off the rack since she became an attorney after law school. If you don't have to, why do it? To please some people, I think not. Hopefully she will learn more about coordination and fashion as time goes on.

From all, I have read it seems her main interest has been women and childrens issues so she will be working along those lines. Kudos for her!

I for one find this entire historical election fascinating and say again, we need to all pray for our new President that he has the guidance of God in his decision making.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#172404 - 01/23/09 07:22 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: chatty lady]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
well she is a handsome looking women and all eyes were on the "do" that night i gess she must have taken someones advice on all she had to weer perhapps as dancer said its was inexperinses young ones maybee not.

Is their dress codes for men and women for thse type of things? hence the pale dress no bright colers etc.

i ws just intimadated reading this thread with so many diffrent views lol never mind having to dress or be presentable at it lol.

how important is her apperanses on how well he will be recived or liked?...Honestlie?

#172409 - 01/23/09 08:08 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: celtic_flame]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Celtic, she is in the public eye, therefore it is important. I know it is superficial, but being in the lime light all over the world forces one to take special care and much thought in how one presents him/herself. Clothes DO make people. As the first lady, I think she has the right to wear exclusive clothes, and no one really expects her to buy off the rack.
Now if I were the first lady, I would have worn anything to make me look thinner. How about a barrel? lol

#172420 - 01/23/09 09:00 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I agree celtic, that in the end, it will always be Michelle's character by how she is judged..a gorgeous outfit would not assist if she was inherently an unpleasant person or lacked moral integrity, which she seems not to be at all.

It is a matter of personal taste on what flatters Michelle which results in all our differing opinions. At the very least, she is a fortunate to have a good base...a reasonably healthy-looking and fit body.

#172425 - 01/23/09 10:21 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Personally, I have to have many clothes tailored if they are structured. I have very long legs and am missing a set of ribs so my waist is long. I have to tailor things to make them fit better. I've even taken things in a couple sizes!

I think the first lady should not wear off the rack without tailoring. I think someone will step up with some experience and help her make better choices. One cannot expect Jackie Kennedy in the first run. Remember other first ladies and the changes they went through.

I also disagree and think that girls deserve that special outfit that they wore when their dad became the president of the United States. It is a one time deal and the coats were from an affordable company, not Versace!

Yes, Michelle wore young designers and one is a student still in design school! I believe this was the plan. We cannot know, however, unless we have years of practise with others putting in their ideas, what looks best on us.

Modeling for years, I can go to a rack and pick clothing without trying it on, that is if it's a classic thing, like black pants or shirts, etc.. I know what looks good on me because I've been dressed by designers who told me and showed me until I learned myself what flatters me.

Michelle will gain her footing here. Orchid is right, she begins with a good start. She has a nice flat stomach and an athletic body. She should find much that flatters. Personally, I like her in closer fitting clothing... Also, that dress she wore to the inauguration is a style that is notorious for being hard to look nice in. Jackie O wore it but again, it's hard for anyone. It tends to show the hips and bunch at the waist...

Anyway, yes, what she wears will make or break a designer or a store brand. J Crew has to be packed about now... That's America!

Then there is the French First Lady who IS a retired Model so she's setting her style all of the time. I believe she is Italian, the former Carla Bruni...

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#172439 - 01/24/09 03:02 AM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: dancer9]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Carla Bruni..........yep if thats her name and i sure you are right. she is butifull and very much a trend setter and it adds intrest to some of the more ordinary bits of politices.

i think she looks and dreses well but what a lot of flack that poor man took for marrieing her. In the end will she be able to do any real harm?i think not, BUT THEN AGAIN I SOMETIMES MISS THE POINT OF THE FUSS LOL. (sorry caps again)

it must be nearve wreaching being the first ladie and i belive learning so much and having t do so so quicklie but she seems smart and will learn i am sure and as we all agree has a good base with her figure so it won't be too hard for her to learn to dress.

jakie o (kennidies wife) now she faamed for her dress sense and style and i sure she didn't do it all herself.

maybee michelle obama needs some new best frends for the yep your bum dose look fat in that talkes lol. any volenteres lol.

#172473 - 01/24/09 10:39 AM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I heard the J Crew Web site crashed after the Inaugaration. Wild, huh?

I like that Michelle is not a terribly skinny woman. She has curves and wears them well. Maybe she can do away with some of the anorexic looks carried by many women in fashion. She's also very comfortable in her skin which I think speaks volumes for how you carry off any outfit.

#172537 - 01/24/09 05:50 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I think the First Lady is beautiful and elegant. And with the
whole world watching every move she makes, she exudes confidence
and charisma.

#172554 - 01/24/09 08:43 PM Re: Comments on Michelle Obama's clothing for... [Re: jabber]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I agree that the first lady looks and is confident in her skin. That does make such a difference.
She appears to have no problems with her clothing once she gets dressed, except perhaps the white ball gown by Jason Wu. She seemed out of sorts in that.

It is a lesson to make sure that one is comfortable in what they are wearing and never give it much thought once they get dressed. This allows them to get downt to the business of living instead of being worried about how we look and what we are wearing. I remember this every single day I dress. I never wear anything that gives me the slightest bit of uncomfort, that does not fit well or that I have to watch myself in so I don't show too much skin. This way I look like I dress effortlessly and can get down to the business of living.

I think every woman owes it to herself to get some professional advise as to what looks good on them and why. This way they can buy clothing with confidence and without wondering if it is "them," or if it makes their "butt look big!"

Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved