The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#171492 - 01/15/09 10:35 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: Dotsie]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Saundra, this is just soooo bad! I'm so sorry. You reel for a long time. I came home today to find Frank busying himself....cleaning the pellet stove like it's never been cleaned, installing a new bedroom ceiling light that he's had to put off for so long. The calls kept coming in today....people he worked with and love him. There's a lot to be said for such support. For that, we are grateful. I returned his uniforms after work today. Such a sad place and everyone walking on eggshells wondering who will be next. A very frightening time in history it is! My supervisor offered me overtime and I gratefully accepted for whenever she needs me. Still, Frank thought that was nice but got very tearful saying he didn't want me to over do. He hits men in their ego and self esteem, I suppose. They so want to provide. So I guess we work and wait.

#171502 - 01/16/09 12:18 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: ladyjane]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
LadyJane, I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish I had some good words of advice.

Poet and essayist

#171503 - 01/16/09 12:32 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: meredithbead]
MustangGal
Unregistered

LadyJane, please excuse my question, yet does your husband qualify for unemployment?

A local law firm has cut their attorneys and staff by half, the remaining staff (admin, secretarial, paralegals, etc.) are only allowed to work 30 hours per week and no more health benefits. This is fearful b/c the other law firms seem to follow suit like dominoes. Thus, I'm not certain how unemployment works and the qualifying factors. I imagine it is different state by state.

Another thought, that being how will this affect our Social Security?

#171520 - 01/16/09 08:44 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: ladyjane]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm really sorry to hear ladyjane about your hubby. It is a tremendous shock to be terminated from a job due to economic reasons of a company.

And I feel for you sandra on the latest upset for you. It did happen to me a few years ago to me, but not for economic reasons. I did get a good severance pkg. --probably to shut me up. Anyway that was awhile ago. I did consult (and paid) for advice of an employment lawyer. One of the things he recommended was to request the former employer a good letter of reference which is necessary when applying for and explaining to other prospective employers about your work history.,....when asked.

I'm I glad did the above.

Yes, I do think there can be subtle age discrimination. To counteract that I don't mind mentioning in extra-curricular activities that are relevant that make me....less conservative in thought and that I cycle...a strong message that I am a healthy mature and active person, in addition to the work experience, etc.

And every opportunity to define software and technology skills that you are particularily good/expert with live examples if one has a blog, website with decent/useful content. I try to show a history of software generations/versions..to demonstrate technology application flexibility and to learn, and adapt to change. YOu have to show this somewhere in a resume nowadays minimally-- no employer wants to invest in training a employee with zero computer literacy.

I have been unemployed on an aggressive job hunt for 18 months, and another time, for 2 months.

Edited by orchid (01/16/09 08:14 PM)

#171687 - 01/17/09 01:24 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea iv had a few self employed frends go bust in last two mounths, they also owen a lot of cash too. Again its the mid to small busnesses thats getting the worst kicking.

what is the deal with the banks and car companies, its prettie unfaire ?

lady Jne and sandra i hope it goes werll for you and your son dotsie.

#171690 - 01/17/09 01:53 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: celtic_flame]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
celtic_flame,
There have been many small businesses go belly up 'round here. But, larger factories are also giving employees their pink slips. Almost daily, news reports 600 lost jobs at this plant and 400 lost jobs on the other side of the city. The economy is currently very scary. Obama gets in, in a couple of days. I hope he and his people can turn it around. Fact is, I pray Obama and his staff will revive the global economy, create a national
health care system, and orchestrate world peace! Now, those are high hopes! Don't ya think? I'm at the point in life, where I aim for the moon and reach for the stars! LOL...!

Edited by jabber (01/17/09 01:56 PM)

#171705 - 01/17/09 03:43 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: jabber]
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I live in the Detroit area - so that about sums it up. Actually, just yesterday, DH received a coupon from one of our beautiful ski/golf resort in Northern MI. They are offering a wonderful Valentines Day package for x-country skiing, romantic dinner and brunch next day, unlimited skiing... Unfortunately, every couple that we used to do things like this are now in very dire straits. Even at this bargain price - it's out of the question.

A very dear friend who has his own business (for nearly 30 years) just met with the bankruptcy lawyer last week. His main business is GM related and they are over 60 days in arrears in payment with no promise in sight. The bank that he has dealt with for ages will not lend him a dime. It is just insanity. They have mortgaged everything they own and now it is all teetering on the brink. At 62 - what does he do now?

Another dear friend lost his job after Sept. 11. He never did recover from that. At 54years old at the time, and having been at the high end of his earning years - no one would give him the time of day. He started a business of his own - refurbishing homes for resale - and the housing market died. He lost a bundle on that. His wife has a stable position (if there is such a thing anymore....) but at least they have medical coverage and she has a 'retirement package' for now.

I would just like to see some justice here. All these bankers and CEO's that have walked away with millions (billions) someone should be going to jail - for a long, long time.

#171706 - 01/17/09 04:10 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: browser57]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am so sorry Lady Jane to hear about your husbands lay-off. And Saundra, I am sorry, I did not know that you, too, were laid off.

I don't really know what else to say. I will hold you all in my heart and I hope that you find some bit of treasure in the midst of the devastation.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#171747 - 01/17/09 11:44 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This situation we all are facing in our country today is just awful. Even if a person doesn't work in an industry thats shutting down so many other industries will eventually be affected. Causing a ripple effect spiruling downward.

Where will this end? Many of us have never known hard times before or felt so scared and helpless. I fear the crime rate is going to go balistric when food, and everything else is in short supply.

Possibly all we can do is use our resources wisely, stock pile what we can, and PRAY.....Pray hard!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#171760 - 01/18/09 07:21 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
LJ, I am so sorry to read that Frank was laid off but at the same time, greatly admire him for finding ways to keep busy at home in the meantime. It's also a relief that you are employed.

One prays for all who are unemployed at the moment. We do not know how long this current economic climate is going to be but, one wishes and prays that the bother it causes be light as foam.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved