The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 100 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17109 - 06/20/06 05:43 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
I take aerobics every M-W-F. There's a couple of "cheerleader types" in the class who just make you sick but the rest of us are all doing the same speed and we love it. I found out at my book signing party on Saturday that our aerobics instructor is 60!!! When he told the group at the party, my mouth dropped. I knew he was older but I would've never guessed that. It's obviously a credit to his exercising! He's a hoot and we love him to death. I'm planning to post some pictures from the party to my website and I'll let you know so you can see him.

In addition to aerobics, I do the steps at Wallace Wade stadium on the Duke University campus. There's about 3000 steps in all. I keep pushing because if I sat and did nothing, I'd probably be over 200 lbs and for my height, that would be very, very BAD.

Beverly Mahone
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age

#17110 - 06/20/06 10:34 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
sammom Offline

Loc: Washington State
Curves! I go three times a week during the school year; walk to work (about 1/2 mile), walk on my lunch break (about 1 mile) and then walk home.
Summer: Curves! Usually 4 times a week, walk there and back ( about 1 1/2 miles) We also have a new puppy so I'm hoping to get hubby walking him with me on our new Rail Trail.
Curves as been the best, I've managed to keep going regularly as it is very convenient and I always run into someone I know when I'm there. Additionally, if you don't show up for a few days other members come looking for you.

#17111 - 06/21/06 07:28 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have done classic 'aerobics' since Jane Fonda and leg warmers were hot..... Yikes!! I used to go to the gym but found that I could discipline myself to work out at home with videos/dvd's.

I'm getting back into my old routine of 2/3 workout's a week with walking in between. I have somehow found a few extra numbers on the scale since we bought our new home. I guess the stress of going through another move - plus DH packed all of my tapes/weights, etc. about 3 weeks early, didn't help. Oh yeah, stuffing pizza in the pie hole because I'm too tired to shop/cook - whatever.

#17112 - 06/21/06 07:40 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
heavenbound Offline

Loc: Marthasville, Missouri
I love this, you are all funny! Don't we need that?

Val, believe me, I have thougth about the Boston Marathon. A few years ago (and I think this is what got me to run in 05') when I was feeling pretty full of myself running 3 miles, my son introduced me to his friends grandmother who was 78 and just ran the Boston. Dang it! Talk about raining on my parade. And she had just started running at 55.

But, actually, if I were to dream, I would want to run in the Dublin Marathon. And if I were to really dream, I would win it!
Cheers,
Linda

#17113 - 06/20/06 08:36 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
I've been on the physical fitness path since my mid-twenties, starting with a basic exercise class, then going on to a gym, yoga classes, adult ballet, etc. I was pretty good at the ballet, as my build was correct - the teachers informed me if they had gotten ahold of me when I was 7 or so, they could have made a fine dancer out of me! But I was really glad to have had the opportunity to do adult ballet classes for nearly 4 years. The postural training stays with you too - to this day people pick up on my previous dance training. Movement is wondeful! The regimen I've stuck with the longest is basic bodybuilding exercise(currently with dumbbells and a bench at home, since I live in a rural area)distance-walking(5-6 miles at a time, 5x per week)and a bit of Ashtanga yoga(standing series)if I can squeeze it in. We are very likely going to move out of our rural area, and I will make a bee-line to join a gym! Any kind of running never agreed with me, even when I was younger - I tried, but it just felt like I was pounding my hips and knees to death - nothing about it felt right! I'm one of these people who MUST exercise, otherwise my natural nervous energy goes in the wrong direction, like being cranky and depressed, not to mention sluggish!
Currently I'm looking into some basic Pilates techniques to fine-tune my abdominal work.
I keep having this vision of myself as this healthy, wiry 80-year-old lady(21 years away, though!). What you envision for yourself with full intent, often manifests!

#17114 - 06/21/06 09:07 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Scissorart Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I do turbojam. It is found on Beachbody.com. We saw it on an infomercial and ordered it. Only the second thing I have ever ordered off of tv, so I wsa apprehensive. Turns out, it is the best workout I have ever done. It comes with 5 workouts: Learn and Burn, 20 minute workout, Tone (can't think of the exact name), Ab Jam (my fave), and Cardio Pary. it also comes with a manual and tape measure. I do the standing ab jam almost everyday and I vary through the 20 minute, Cardio, or burn everyday. I want to do the tone but only have one 5 lb. weight. Just haven't bought another yet. The Ab Jam (really every workout) works your abs and obliques (love handles). The ab jam has a second half on the floor but I only do the standing. I can see a big difference. It doesn't take long to see results. I tried curves, but it wasn't for me.

#17115 - 06/22/06 02:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm so busy going to/from work and school, that I drink to much soda to stay awake, which as we all know adds pounds. However, I horseback ride 2X weekly, arm lift 5lb (while blow drying hair) and occassionally side kicks (at sink also while blow drying hair!). Also, yard work is strenuous and good exercise.

I need to incorporate more water to eliminate those 5 lbs I'd like to lose!

#17117 - 06/22/06 05:58 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Pam R. Offline

I exercise 3x a week for one hour and I HATE every minute of it! I have been doing it for the past 2 1/2 years after my heart attack in 2003. First I went to Cardi-rehab, then my home spare room became my gym. My cardiologist insists and explained how there is scientific proof people live longer having exercised. Fear is the greatest movtivator!! Hey, whatever works! I use the treadmill, stairmaster, rebumbant bike, weights and stretching. Not what I call fun, but I admit I feel lots better when I am finished. In fact, I exercise after work, watch the news on TV and really do de-stress myself after a long day. Don't think I will ever get to the point of claiming I like it though!

#17119 - 06/23/06 01:11 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
I know people who hate to exercise, no matter what type it is, and they usually think I'm a "health nut" because I do so and enjoy it to boot! From what I've seen, it looks like the majority of women of our age "hate to exercise". Or it seems that the aforementioned women my age ask me if I'm "still working out". I usually tell them I'll continue until I'm no longer able(hopefully that won't be until I drop dead-LOL!). The more years you work out regularly, the more years you will be able to do so.

#17120 - 06/23/06 01:31 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I enjoy my exercise, look forward to my weekly yoga class and also continue to do it at home daily. Treadmill is great for watching an afternoon program I have recorded and of course the dogs always like a walk around the place and I also have a horse to take care of. I'll be doing it forever! My dad still swims and walks daily.....he's 88!!

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved