The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#172979 - 01/29/09 02:21 AM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: DJ]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Update:
My son (age 15) just wanted to find out if his Dad would let him move in. Now that he said he would, this seems enough for my son. He told me he doesn't want to move in with his Dad now. When I look back I realize what my son was doing.

This past weekend my son had a rugby game. He asked his Dad to come. His Dad has never been to a rugby game and my son has played for four years now. He played soccer from age 5 to 12 and his Dad never came to any of his games. I have never missed a game, not one and love to cheer him on, drive his friends take pictures etc.

When my son was playing I noticed he kept looking at the parking lot to see if his Dad showed up. He was not concentrating on the game as he was hoping for his Dad to come. I felt so bad. So, I called his Dad on the cell phone and said if you don't come to this game I am going to "kick your ***" well not exactly but told him I would never speak to him again. I made him feel real guilty so he showed up after my calling him several times but the game was almost over.

My son was happy he showed up but said he missed all the good parts. I told him your Dad just doesn't get it. I always tell them their Dad loves them but he just doesn't get it. I told my son that I called him and that he would have to answer to me if he didn't come. My son seemed pleased about that. It was one of those moments. It instantly made us closer if that is possible.
My son has been clingy since he told me he was moving in with his Dad. Last night he said he decided not to.

As for my daughter. I can't stop her. I believe that this will be a good learning experience for her. She is going to be 17 in a week and has planned a huge party at her Dad's house. He has no idea. I think she is inviting 60 people. You know how that is going to go. The party will get out of hand and my ex and especially his girlfriend will freak. My daughter knows that she cannot have her party here as I will NOT allow drinking. Her Dad will. She is using his place as an apartment for herself and her girlfriend without the responsibilities of paying rent etc. She is going through something and wants to show off to her friends that she is cool or something like that. This will all backfire on her. Like my ex she thinks moving will change things but her problems, issues will follow her wherever she goes. They won't go away just because she physically moves. But she doesn't get this yet.

She is failing in school, has no outside activities, or a job. I am bothering her by pushing her to excel. I have offered to pay for singing lessons, art lessons. I have found her jobs but she doesn't follow up. She wants things to come to her without putting any effort into it. Natural consequences are going to happen for her and these are the best kind of consequences. They are far more effective than all the nagging I can do. So, I have to step back and let it all happen at this point. She knows I am and will always be here for her, I have told her that. She knows I want better for her and she knows she has talent and is smart also told to her by me. Right now she is on a train that is going fast and she can't get off. I believe that train is going to crash. Not because I think my ex is a jerk, just because she has such unreal expectations.

I don't believe she wants to move to be with her Dad. She wants a change and his place has a good set up for her and her girlfriend to set up house. She basically told me she is not moving because of her Dad. She says her room is too small but it is so messy you can't even open the door - her choice. She says she is always late for school and her Dad lives right beside the school so it will be easier to get there. I drive both kids to school so there goes that excuse. I am always calling her to get up. She says she needs a change so instead of getting a job, making new friends, volunteering etc. she thinks moving to her Dad's is the answer. She does not get it. But one day she will and I will be here.

As for my addicted son. He may get out in February and this is a concern as then he may want to come home for a visit. I learned the hard way and have let him come before he goes to a recovery house and then he never leaves. So this time he is going to have to have a place, have his stuff moved there etc. before I allow a visit. There will also have to be strict rules around him only staying for the weekend. Or if it looks like he is going to pull a fast one and maybe this is best. I will go to where he is living and visit him there. I think that is best as after he gets out of jail, treatment he is often on shaky ground and wants to retreat to Mom's place.

Kate

( I am going to get my daughter a gift certificate at the local art college for her birthday)

#173005 - 01/29/09 03:02 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: katebcca]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I never figured out why men leave one family and go to another.
In fact I don't understand men at all. If they weren't so good
with mechanics and electronics, maybe females wouldn't be that
dependent on them.

#173050 - 01/29/09 10:01 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
That may be Jabber BUT neither of my husbands knew which end of the hammer to pound with and I was totally dependant on them but for other more interesting things! My bad?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#173079 - 01/30/09 06:16 AM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Keep us posted Kate. I'm glad your son decided to stay with you.

Your daughter...let us know.

#173109 - 01/30/09 03:42 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

Chatty,
Some of 'em are NOT even good at that; whatschu bein' bad 'bout!

Edited by jabber (01/31/09 01:34 PM)

#173133 - 01/30/09 07:24 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kate, for some sick reason, I laughed out loud when you mentioned your daughter ahving a party and inviting 60 people. Your husband is clueless.

I'm so glad you had that moment with your son. THa'ts cool when you feel that connection. Keep looking for those opportunites to affirm him. Teens need it even if they don't realize they do. They absolutely need our love.

I think you could be right about your daughter. Just be there for her when the train crashes. It's at times like that when we want to run the other way, but it's when we really need to be there for them - with boundaries that they must adhere to.

Visiting your son is a much better idea than letting him visit you. Great idea. I'll pray you can follow through.

#173136 - 01/30/09 08:01 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
Your right Dotsie, and deep down I know I shouldn't let him come here after getting out of jail. It would just be the same old thing. I need to break the cycle and will visit him.

As for my daughter, don't feel bad about laughing out loud, I did too. And be careful, he's my EX, not husband, a sore spot:-)

I was sitting listening to my daughter and her friends on facebook inviting everyone they know. I had to snicker. She hasn't mentioned it to me at all. I know it will get out of hand, and I know my ex will freak out as that is what he does, not to mention his girlfriend who can't handle much when it comes to my kids.

My son said he would go for a little while but will leave before the fireworks. He knows all to well what is going to happen and doesn't want to be there.

The train wreck will happen. It's kind of nice staying in the background just being there for her in a positive way.

Kate

#173149 - 01/30/09 11:47 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: katebcca]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Yep Kate, just hang back on the caboose so when the crash comes you can bail!!! Too funny. It reminds me of the saying:

WATCH WHAT YOU ASK FOR, YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT!!!

I'm sure your EX thinks he has won some victory over you, but won't he be surprised...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#173185 - 01/31/09 01:38 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Good luck, there, Kate! A woman almost needs to be a magician to keep everybody happy.

#173275 - 02/01/09 04:41 PM Re: help teen wants to move out [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Tell us about the party end result Kate. Hopefully the police does not need to be called in for the crowd..

Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 14 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved