The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#170634 - 01/10/09 01:53 AM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thats easy, roasts or meats with potatoes and veges all around them. Also any kind of unusual soup. I am a soup nut.

JJ, you can slice the beets very thin as DJ says but wrap them in foil with a little EVOO and some apple slices. Pop into oven. Let cook for about half an hour and open and serve.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#170636 - 01/10/09 02:08 AM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: chatty lady]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
EH I had a neighbor who was a food photographer for advertisements. Once you know the tricks, it makes in intriguing to look at t he photo, but you also know how fake the photos are! You've probably heard some of these, like using mashed potatoes for ice cream, and putting marbles in soup. In the US the FTC cracks down on this for TV commercials (well, they used to but I don't know any more) but no one regulates magazine photos. So...maybe those are rubber meats and potatoes?

#170640 - 01/10/09 03:12 AM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: DJ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Bwwwhahahah! gastro-p. o. r. n! Too funny!

#171104 - 01/13/09 04:57 PM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: Eagle Heart]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Eagle Heart
How many times have you bought a magazine purely because of the picture of food on the cover?!! Here's an interesting question...what foods are the most likely to entice you to buy the magazine?

Most any kind of food will get my attention on a magazine, except fish....ick! sick smile Just like JJ, I like looking at cookbooks. I'll read them like novels. One of my favorite cooking mags is Taste of Home.

#171117 - 01/13/09 06:46 PM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: Cookie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Cookie, I have to agree with the fish...if I was perusing the magazine rack while waiting in line at the cashier and one mag had a picture of a roast, another had a picture of chocolate cake (or brownies, or cheesecake) and the other had a picture of fish, I admit, as much as I love fish, I would gravitate toward one of the other magazines.

(Maya Angelou)

#171131 - 01/13/09 08:38 PM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This post reminds me of how much I used to cook and bake. It's when I was a stay at home mom and had time. I read cookbooks and cut, copied and tried many. I also cooked bread from scratch, yeast and all. But I rarely do this any more because life is so full. Now I have to rack my brain to figure out what to make for dinner. URG!

I especially like cooking in the spring and summer. Ross uses the grill and I do veggies and salads. I love that, but this time of year, I'm stuck. I think we had spinach salads with cut up chicken beasts three times last week.

#171168 - 01/14/09 01:46 AM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm still giggling over DJ's sister's comment. Cookie, I use to take Taste of Home and have a bunch of the annual cookbooks. Do you, or did you collect those, too? I have to admit that they have great recipes...I no longer take the mag, but will pick one up at the grocery store every once in a while.

Anyone besides me use the CALLING ALL COOKS recipes books? I love those.

#171175 - 01/14/09 02:38 AM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: jawjaw]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ -- my sister is a stitch, it's true.

I use Epicurious.com -- anyone else?

#171180 - 01/14/09 03:03 AM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: DJ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I don't read cooking magazines or books, so covers won't make any difference. I like cooking in the winter or on cool days because it's too blasted hot in the summer to think about eating hot anything. Everything here is nutritious.

Poet and essayist

#171471 - 01/15/09 07:24 PM Re: Cooks survey>>> [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I don't have time to surf cooking sites any more. I ask friends for tried and true recipes. Got one last week for chicken and dumplings which I'll try on a night we're taking dinner to Dad. He's a meat and potatoes kinda guy.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved