The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17017 - 10/31/05 05:40 PM What do you do for exercise?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hi ladies!

I'm a true gym rat.....I belong to a Lifestyle Family Fitness that is happily only 4 miles from my home, and I'm there 5 or 6 mornings a week. I like to do a variety of the classes (discovered a long time ago that I'm much better about exercising in group sessions -- just have a hard time getting motivated to exercise alone other than walking). I take one of my dogs for a walk every morning (some days longer walks than others, anywhere from a mile to 3 miles) and then I head to the gym for class. I do step-aerobics, Pilates, BodyPump (weight-lifting) and the one day per week that there's no class on the schedule I like, I use the elliptical machine and the treadmill.

I'm always curious to hear what other women enjoy doing for exercise..........anybody else lift weights? Get into Pilates? What are you gals into these days?

#17018 - 10/31/05 06:28 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a sore topic for me. I have always exercised. For years, while the kids were growoing up I walked between 1-4 miles about 5 times a week. My two favorite walking partners moved! Then I faithfully went to Curves for well over a year, but haven't been since June.

We have a family membership at the Y, which I don't use except for tennis. I am still throwing my money away at Curves. I keep telling myself I'll get there.

For the most part, I am doing occasional walking.

Congrats for sticking to it! You're an inspiration.

#17019 - 10/31/05 10:00 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
I just got a full time job as a gardener/groundskeeper (in Russia, in the winter). I like the work but it's really hard on my joints--knees, elbows, wrists. And I just can't keep my hands and feet warm. This could be my last hurrah in this line of work.

It's terrible to get too old to be able to do the work you love. The thought of flourescent lights and grey cubicles and office gossip sets my teeth to chattering. I can't deal with it at all. I guess I'll keep pushing a wheelbarrow till the bitter end. What to do....

#17020 - 10/31/05 10:44 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oh, Burrr... my teeth are chattering right along with you.
I'd be crawling in on hands and knees..begging for warmth.
My feet get cold and my entire self is cold.

#17021 - 10/31/05 11:20 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Mrs. Madness - have you tried using the little "hand warmer" "feet warmer" packets from an outdoors store? We use these when we go camping/skiing, hiking in fall/winter, etc.

There are two kinds - One is small enough not to irritate movement but is a one-time use deal...and the other uses a fluid that you light and heats the unit and reusable. The difference in cost I have seen is $3 for a pack of 3 or 4 or $20 for the reusable unit.

#17022 - 10/31/05 11:34 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
quote:
Originally posted by DallasGal:
Mrs. Madness - have you tried using the little "hand warmer" "feet warmer" packets from an outdoors store? We use these when we go camping/skiing, hiking in fall/winter, etc.

There are two kinds - One is small enough not to irritate movement but is a one-time use deal...and the other uses a fluid that you light and heats the unit and reusable. The difference in cost I have seen is $3 for a pack of 3 or 4 or $20 for the reusable unit.

Yeah, we have a Cabellas catalog and I've seen that stuff but it's such a hassle....I have to order it and charge it on my credit card and wait forever for it to get here and then it won't fit in my boots and gloves.

My husband has a pair of battery powered socks (!) I wore them once but they barely worked and had big old battery packs that didn't fit inside my pants. Winter will be over in April--just 6 months away!

But it's the joints that really take a beating. Dammit, I'm fit though. And they're paying me, not vice versa. I never can seem to drag myself to one of those machines in the gym although I'm always telling myself that one day I'm going to do it, I never have. Normally i'd rather be outside doing something. This time I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

#17023 - 11/01/05 09:29 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I've lifted weigts since 1976. I belong to a gym and manage to get there 2 days a week, plus I teach an exercise class one day a week.

I hike only in the winter, as summer is WAY too hot here! I don't have time until after my work season is over (Dec. 24)

#17024 - 11/01/05 10:46 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Meredithbead...
I was doing a Body Pump class plus Pilates when I became ill. I had lost 58 lbs. (it's still off thank God)but am now stuggling to take more weight off.
I found out I have a bone spur on C-7 in July, and just finised PT.
Started Pilates again, but am afraid of injuring the neck.
I'm asking if there are any exercises where I don't have to lift weights over my head(the left arm goes tingly)and can start to whittle away this belly I have.
It's the only place I need to lose more weight. There isn't much left of the other parts of me, but of course, the skin that hangs, but that's ok, I can live with that.
I belong to the YMCA here in Olympia, but they don't seem to be to interested in helping me.
If there is a web site I can go to to show me exercies I can do I'd really appreciate some directon. I need to lose this belly!!!!
Thank you
Lynne

#17025 - 11/01/05 11:08 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
mellodysmiles Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
LSmith...
I got one of those little bellys too! [Eek!] Right now there is nothing I can do because of a back injury. However, when I am able again I am going to try one of those huge rubber balls. You can get them at WalMart, Target, Sears...I have even seen them at Barnes and Noble Bookstores. I am told that they are really useful in strengthening, reducing and toning a body.

#17027 - 11/02/05 01:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

speakermom.....what do you think of Curves? I've considered going there. Is it pricy? Do they have trainers that really know what they are doing, or is just "cute" little girls with nothing better to do.
Would appreciate some feed back.
Thanks
Lynne

#17029 - 11/02/05 09:17 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I loved the music they played. Kept me going.

#17030 - 11/02/05 09:26 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I try to walk at least 4 or 5 mornings a week. I usually average 2 miles each day. It's wonderful to walk and pray while looking at those majestic mountains. Very peaceful and inspiring...and in this weather, very invigorating!!

#17031 - 11/03/05 02:25 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Wow! Winter gardening in Russia! Anyone would find that difficult on the joints, no matter her age. These days I hike like Bluebird. I try to walk 3 miles a day, sometimes 4.5, in the Colorado terrain. My problem is that I do not do it in the morning. Rather, I like afternoon walks. But it is getting darker sooner, so I am trying to train my body to get going in the morning. I know I need toning and strength building exercise, but I don't want to spend money on Curves, etc. So when we get into our house in December I will pull out the Yoga and Pilates tapes and do exercise at home. I am also interested in the rubber band resistance exercise. You know, exercise used to be incorporated into sports like ice skating, skiiing, swimming, horse back riding. Now I have to force myself to do an exercise routine.

#17032 - 11/03/05 03:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mrs_Madness they also have elasticized wraps that can be worn anywhere and they make heat wherever you put them there are also warming creams that seem to do the same thing. These might help some.....

Xercyse, whats that, how do you spell it again??? Is it anything like fingers floating along the computer keys? If not then I know not what it is, sounds painful to me...LOL !!! [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

[ November 02, 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#17033 - 11/03/05 11:17 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Lynne, first of all -- there is no such thing as spot weight reducing. Period. All those waist wraps and other gizmos to lose weight in a certain area are frauds.

Where you accumulate body fat is genetic. After menopause many women get thicker through the middle (including yours truly) because belly fat holds the most estrogen and this is your body's way of coping with estrogen loss. When you gain or lose weight, it's proportional to your genetic predisposition.

However, you can firm different areas through exercise. Firming won't get rid of the fat, but rather you'll build muscle underneath the fat so you look less flabby.

There are 3 different muscles that we lump as "stomach". In the parentheses are specific exercises that target them.

Lower abdominal (leg raises)
upper abdominal (crunches)
obliques --aka "love handles" (diagonal crunches)

There's also a term -- core training -- that you probably know through Pilates. This refers to all the stomach and back muscles. Walking is good. So is sitting on the big rubber ball.

Lifting your arms over your head works on your shoulders, not your belly.

#17034 - 11/04/05 12:32 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

I've got a question. Can exercise raise the buttocks to their former position closer to the torso versus dropped toward the knees? Pilates really does work the core and helps to keep a trimmed torso.

#17035 - 11/04/05 09:40 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Lynnie, the muscle you want to work is called gluteous maximus (and in my case, it definitely is "maximus" LOL)

Some exercises that work that area:
lunges
squats
mountain climbing
2-at-a-time stair-climbing
skiing
dancing
hurdles

#17036 - 11/04/05 05:18 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

I think step-aerobics is another one you can add to that list.......

#17037 - 11/05/05 08:14 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynnie, walking is excellent for the butt. I was just 10 minutes late for my morning walk with a neighbor friend. I got lost in the forums and she called wondering where I was. Ah...the beauty of working from home.

#17038 - 11/05/05 08:48 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Chatty, you brat you. You stole my line! LOL...does shopping count as xerzize?

#17039 - 11/05/05 05:52 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

If you have to walk around it does...shoping whats that? I am a catalog junkie myself. Brat, what, what line is that Ms Sherri??? [Confused]

[ November 04, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#17040 - 11/06/05 06:18 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

I don't know where I read this, but it was Dianne saying how she lost her butt and then found it on the back of her thighs. I saw that post after I wrote the above one about exercise for the buttocks (gluts). I LOL: seems we all have a similar problem, probably except for Meredith cause she's been working out since 1976 and who started this topic? I saw Dorothy Hamill on the Today Show skating in a skimpie skirt and you could see her arm muscles and back muscles and her butt was in the right place. Oh, how I envy those athletes and their agile, fit, properly placed bodies. Do I have to wait until the next lifetime to take better care of my body and to be fit? Or is there something I can do now? Walking doesn't seem to be enough. It does not show any increase of muscle strength, although it is good for balance and stamina. I don't want to join a gym, but I am okay with working out at home.

#17041 - 11/06/05 07:27 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
To the Divine Ms M....

Okay, let me see if I get this straight Ms M.
I can go work out, do all the exercises in the world, but if I'm in menopause, which I am, these tires I'm carrying around all day ain't going nowhere. In other words, it won't do a bit of good because all of my Aunts had the same thing?

I'm doom to be fluffy. Well, if that don't beat all. Boy am I glad I never started working out then. Trixie, pass the Oreo's...

JJ

#17042 - 11/06/05 07:29 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

p.s. when I tried walking, I could feel my butt hitting the back of my legs and funny sounds were emitted...flap...flap... flap... flap..., the faster I walked, the lounder and closer the sounds.... flap,flap,flap,flap...

I can't win... and all because I had fat Aunts.

Life just isn't fair, is it?

JJ

#17043 - 11/07/05 08:37 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
HA!!

So you thought it was your butt muscles flapping huh?

Actually that flap, flap noise was one of the chips chasing you in his flip flops. He was soooo disappointed that he didn't catch you too.

He says he had a big SMOOCH for you.

Oh well, you cruise you lose.

smile

#17044 - 11/07/05 12:42 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
author from Maine Offline

I also started Curves about a month ago. Since I spend lots of time sitting I know that's not good for me. Curves forces me to get off my butt and move around. Since each exercise only lasts for thirty seconds, I can handle that [Razz]

They charge thirty dollars per month and there's a sign-up fee. But if it'll keep me healthy, then it'll be worth it. If anyone is thinking of joining, check because they have a promotion going on for three days later this month which waives the sign up fee if you bring in a Turkey, or maybe that's just in my area.

Anyway, there's never a deal whenever I decide to do something!

Diane

#17045 - 11/07/05 01:51 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

The best I ever felt and LOOKED recently was when uusing the very low impact Gazelle machine. My butt and thighs were tightening noticably and so were my upper arms but I bought mine second hand and it broke, now I know why they were selling it....Well now (2 months later)my butt and upper arms are flapping again. I need to get a new one but don't have the dinero so i'm waiting till Home Shopping channel has a special on the Tony Little Gazelle....this thing works and I want one NOW!!!! [Eek!]

#17046 - 11/07/05 02:02 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

Chatty, those are exactly the areas on me that have toned and tightened just from brisk walking. And it's freeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

#17047 - 11/07/05 04:32 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

I walk, and my butt and thighs still flip flop. I need toning. Curves for only a dollar a day? That's not too bad. And a 30 second exercise is good for me because I get bored quickly. One of my problems with yoga is that it moves so slow. Do you curves girls really like it?

#17048 - 11/07/05 06:54 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynnie, I was a Curves fanatic for about a year and a half. I loved how I felt while doing it. I could also tell a difference. I felt so strong, but then my legs began cramping a little on occasion and I think it was the machines. I got out of the routine of going and haven't been since June. I'm still (like an idiot) paying my monthly membership. I either need to cancel, or get my flapping butt back there.

The atmosphere is so much fun. I found all the members to be very down to earth and super friendly.

How close are you to Curves?

#17049 - 11/07/05 11:21 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I admire people who can discipline themselves enough to get out there and walk. Its fresh air, its good for you, and its free. It just doesn't make sense NOT to do it. So why do I fight it?

SMILES... you mean to tell me all this time it was a flip-flop wearing guy? Holy Moly... maybe I DO need to get back out there and walk....

JJ

#17050 - 11/07/05 11:38 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

I'm tellin' ya' JJ, it was the same chippendale guy who has been chasing me.
And I'm here to tell ya' just knowing he's back there will get you out to walk--verrry slowly.
smile

#17051 - 11/08/05 02:26 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

OK, lemme explain this in mega simple terms. These are the components of fitness:

stretching
balancing
cardio-vascular (aerobic)
resistance (weight) training

STRETCHING
helps prevent stiffness
helps prevent "pulled-out" injuries
does not burn fat
does not build muscle

BALANCING
keeps our body "centered"
helps prevent falls
does not burn fat
strengthens our core (abdominal, back)
does not build visible muscle

AEROBICS
keeps heart and lungs healthy
burns calories (as in: weight). Aerobic activity over 30 minutes burns calories faster; however, 5 minutes of aerobics is better than 0.
only minimally builds muscle

WEIGHT TRAINING:
burns a small amount of calories
firms areas by building muscle. Even if area is "padded", the muscle underneath will make the contours look better.
helps prevent bone breaks

All of these components help us function better in life. We're less tired, less prone to injury, and more able to do the things we want. For those of you who scoff at weight lifting: do you, or do you not, want to be able to lift your grandchildren without throwing your back out?

no-cost 1-lb. weights for arm exercises: cans of vegetables.
no-cost weights, heavier: empty juice or milk containers with handles. Fill them up with water or sand.

no-cost aerobics: walking, climbing stairs, dancing.

For all of the above, even 5 minutes a day is better than no minutes a day.

I'm off my soapbox, and back to the gym today after a 1-week hiatus due to 80-hour work week last 7 days.

#17052 - 11/08/05 02:36 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I think part of the problem is that many women think of themselves as non-athletic. I was terrible at all sports until I found weight lifting when I was 26. How do we say KLUTZ?

When I teach my class, I tell the women that we're not training for the Olympics and we're not aiming for "perfect" bodies. Rather, we're helping our bodies function better in the real world.

There's a mind/body/spirit connection that makes us whole. Ignore any one part, and the others have to work that much harder to compensate. Imbalance can be caused by illness, or lead to it.

Also: we're all thankful we don't have the personality of a 20-year-old. Maybe we should also make peace with bodies that are no longer 20. I'm not a failure because I'm not in the same shape I was 10 years ago. I'm only a failure if I don't make 55 as good as it can be.

Was I back on my soapbox? Maybe I should go eat lunch [Roll Eyes]

[ November 07, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

#17053 - 11/08/05 06:22 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Meredith, thanks for the exercise tips. Dotsie, I am very close to a curves. What has kept you away for six months if you enjoyed it so much? Boomer Women Speak? Your Sisters keeping you busy?

#17054 - 11/08/05 06:51 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Meredith,
Where does walking "fall" in those categories?

SMILES... what do I do with him if he catches me? My memory only goes back soooo far ya know.

JJ

#17055 - 11/08/05 07:01 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

Hey if he catches you and you can't remember what to do with him, call me. Yep. MY memory is pretty good.

And my imagination is EXCELLENT!!

smile

#17056 - 11/08/05 07:07 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

ohhhhhh no you don't. If I get my big butt out of this chair and walk long enough to catch him--- uh I mean let him catch ME, then I'll figure it out.

There's always the library. They got books with pictures.

But thanks girlfriend. What a friend, eh?

JJ

#17057 - 11/08/05 07:12 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

There is no sacrifice too great. You know, anything for a friend.

And boy if you catch one... I mean if one of those chipendales catches you, for heaven's sake give me a call.

Lots of us boomers have been wanting to see one of those guys up close for years. So don't be greedy.
smile

#17058 - 11/08/05 07:20 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Chips? Did someone mention Chips?

#17059 - 11/08/05 07:26 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

In my twenties, I dated a chips. Or rather he dated me. He was tall, blonde, chiseled, nice, a gentleman, and smitten with me. He was not at all stuck on himself. I was short, voluptuous, insecure, and aloof. If I had my twenties to do over again, I'd be a bit more confident so I could have fun with my chips! Oh, he had lots of friends to double date with.

[ November 07, 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Lynnie ]

#17060 - 11/08/05 07:28 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ahhh...don't think she meant the potato kind hun...

Well trust me on this one, if a Chippendale was to catch me, he'd throw me back... you can take that to the bank. Unles of course, I took HIM to the bank. Then he would probably keep me for a while...

I think they should have some boomer age chippendales, ya know? Those young thangs remind me too much of my own children and I am constantly wanting to tell them to go put some clothes on so they don't catch cold....what's wrong with this picture?

JJ

#17061 - 11/08/05 07:29 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

I'm tellin' ya', that Meredith's right about that exercise stuff. I'm feeling twenty years younger just thinking about running away from a chip (backwards of course).

Lynn, surely you had a little fun with that chip. Tell us more.
smile

#17062 - 11/08/05 07:30 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Lynnie, you lucky thing you!

I think the good Lord knows better than to let me go back and be twenty again...teehee...

JJ

#17063 - 11/08/05 07:30 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

And JJ, don't kid yourself. You catch a chip... I mean he catches you and he's gonna' keep you.

Well unless I can pry him loose for myself that is.
smile

#17064 - 11/08/05 07:38 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Tell ya what... you get me a Bob Villa-type person and you can have the Chip, if I ever get one, that is... give me a maintenance guy...any day. The girl that did my photo shoot for the book use to give TY, that cute young remodel guy, a lift to work everyday. They are good friends. Now...hubba...hubba... A maintenance guy that looks good too? THAT would be heaven, eh?

JJ

#17065 - 11/08/05 07:41 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

Okay, when you're right, you're right. You can have Bob villa, but TY's worth at least THREE chips!!

Yessirree. Ty starts following me in his flip flops and I'm gonna' be RUNNING BACKWARDS for sure!!

Love TY!!
smile

#17066 - 11/08/05 07:47 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

Ty is a doll!

#17067 - 11/08/05 07:57 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

Whoooeee a doll for sure. And he can FIX stuff.

smile

#17068 - 11/08/05 08:37 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

All I can say is that at the time I did not know how to recognize a good thing when it, I mean he, was luring me away in a limosine. I was way too shy and insecure and stupid, stupid, stupid. His name was Michael. Along with a zillion other Michaels in America. I am intimidated by tall guys. I actually thought he was too tall for me. Now I would know to just wear high heels. (see what I mean about stupid!) He had no problems making a date, showing up on time, dressing well, spending money on a date, introducing me to his friends and family. He took me to his parent's house for a Christmas eve party. Isn't that nice? It was late because he "worked" that evening. After midnight. We kissed in the back of a limosine on the way back to my apartment around 2 am. I didn't see him after that because I was too insecure. I hooked up with some loser bohemian type that I knew would go no where, therefore I did not have to invest anything emotionally, or so I thought.

#17069 - 11/08/05 08:39 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Ty is too loud for me. Give me NATE! I want NATE! He can fix things, and design things, and look good too!

#17070 - 11/08/05 09:06 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Lynnie, I can honestly tell you that I can remember ONE SINGLE TIME in my life when I was shy. I had a date with this guy and I just could NOT for the life of me think of anything to say during the entire date. We double dated and the couple in the FRONT seat had NO trouble communicating with each other if you get my drift... I sat there like a log. All night. He never asked me out again. Heck, I wouldn't have asked me out again either. I've never seen that guy since then either.

It was someone I really did want to date, too. For years... oh well.

JJ

#17071 - 11/08/05 10:19 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jazzvt Offline

quote:
Originally posted by CrosstitchQueen:
Hi ladies!

I'm a true gym rat.....I belong to a Lifestyle Family Fitness that is happily only 4 miles from my home, and I'm there 5 or 6 mornings a week. I like to do a variety of the classes (discovered a long time ago that I'm much better about exercising in group sessions -- just have a hard time getting motivated to exercise alone other than walking). I take one of my dogs for a walk every morning (some days longer walks than others, anywhere from a mile to 3 miles) and then I head to the gym for class. I do step-aerobics, Pilates, BodyPump (weight-lifting) and the one day per week that there's no class on the schedule I like, I use the elliptical machine and the treadmill.

I'm always curious to hear what other women enjoy doing for exercise..........anybody else lift weights? Get into Pilates? What are you gals into these days?

#17072 - 11/08/05 11:34 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Danita Offline

J.J.,

There is something to be said for good old fashioned "eye candy".

d.

#17073 - 11/09/05 02:29 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Lynnie, "if if's and but's were candy and nuts..." Darn girl! What were you thinking?

Hey, my maiden name is the same as Ty's. Do you think we're related?

NATE IS GAY! Stop it. You can't go there!

#17074 - 11/09/05 03:56 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think Ty is rather full of himself. I like Nate, he seems very genuine and down to earth.

Daisygirl

#17075 - 11/09/05 04:17 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Eagle Heart Offline

When Nate lost his partner in the tsunami last December, I felt the loss too, as if it were one of my own relatives.

#17076 - 11/09/05 07:31 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, I know Nate is gay. I too think Ty is full of himself. At least we got away from Bob Villa! Who is JazzVT and is she from my other favorite state of Vermont? Hey, speaking of diet and exercise, at least I bought an ice cream scoop and I am putting two scoops of ice cream into a bowl and NOT eating straight out of the carton while reading boomer posts. When I am done with the bowl I let the doggies lick the bowl so I don't fill it up again. Of course, I could always get a clean bowl, but then I would have to get up again and that would be exercise on the way to the fridge.

#17077 - 11/09/05 09:18 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Welcome JazzVT... glad you came onboard. Make yourself at home and start posting where ever, and when ever you want, k?

And don't mind all this talk about "fix-it" men... we are just comparing notes on all the "tool time guys" on the air...teehee.

JJ

#17078 - 11/09/05 06:49 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Well, if Ty is full of himself, that settles it! He IS a relative of mine! [Razz] [Wink]

#17079 - 11/10/05 08:18 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Lynnie:
Of course, I could always get a clean bowl, but then I would have to get up again and that would be exercise on the way to the fridge.

Lynnie, your humour is so delightful. Puts a sparkle in my day, and reminds me to do a few more flights of stairs back and forth to my own refrigerator before the day's over...

#17080 - 11/10/05 05:27 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Just give me a man, just once that knows which end of the hammer to use. None of my husbands were handy and what a pain that is....They couldn't do it right but could always do it over, NOT!!!

#17081 - 01/01/06 12:59 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
tourmaline Offline

Wow! This is a busy thread!

Since this is New Year's Eve, and tomorrow is the day that many of us designate as 'the' day to make changes, I thought I'd share my exercise success story.

My New Year's resolution for 2004 was to lose weight. I weighed 215 and was in a size 24. I found a program called BODYPUMP (it is trademarked in all caps...) and within 8 months I was a size 12 and was on my way to take the training to become an instructor. Here it is, New Year's Eve 2005, and I have kept it off for a year and a half now! This is a minor miracle for me, because I have been heavy all of my life. I was in Weight Watchers when I was 6 years old, and in 40 years, there have only been about three times that I lost enough weight to be considered a 'normal' size. It totally blows my mind that I not only have kept the weight off, but that I also have become a fitness instructor. People are floored when they see my 'before ' and 'after' pictures at my gym. It's so strange to be talking to someone about dieting and exercise, and then they look me up and down and say, "Of course, you don't have any clue what it's like to be overweight."

I absolutely love BODYPUMP, and am delighted to see it mentioned in some of the other posts here. It's a one-hour, weight lifting class that exercises every muscle in the body. You only have to do it twice a week to get fast, noticeable results. (Results are hindered somewhat if you end the day with a Sara Lee cheesecake...) But I haven't had to give up a single carb. The class uses great music, and there is a high entertainment factor. There are rooms full of people who have been doing this for years, and still aren't tired of it. It's an international program, and is much newer to the US. If you want to find a club near you that offers BODYPUMP or other Les Mills (BODYPUMP's parent company) programs, they have a web site that contains a club locator, and plenty of info about their programs. (www.lesmillsusa.com) I've recently started teaching another one of their programs called BODYFLOW, which is a Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates mix. My flexibilty and balance have improved, and I've had improvements in my abs that I thought I'd never see without cosmetic surgery. I've had similar improvements in my bust line, which has become much less 'gravitationally challenged!"

My mother, who used to be an inactive Senior, started taking my BODYPUMP classes as soon as I became an instructor to be supportive of 'her little girl.' My mom suffered from osteoporosis for 7 years, and was taking hardcore medication and eating properly with no success. 9 months after BODYPUMP, she went for a bone scan and her osteoporosis was gone! BODYPUMP's weight-bearing nature is what did it. I'm sure she could have had similar results in a weight room, or with weights at home, but the program is just plain fun. Most exercise regimens fail because they're boring. But I have never even once had to force myself to go to a class, or get excited about a class I am teaching.

I didn't mean to write a novel, but I am obviously a 'raving fan' of BODYPUMP. I'm over 40, and I'm in better shape than most of the people I know who are half of my age. I'm the oldest instructor at the gym, but I'm known for being the most energetic and enthusiastic. Most people don't believe I'm in my 40's, and usually guess my age at about 34. It's hard for me to believe that two years ago I was in a size 24, or that at my largest I was in a size 28. Every month I get to witness both women and men ranging in ages from teens to 75 achieve their goals, and the joy that comes with their accomplishments.

I wish everyone here a happy New Year, and hope everyone is able to find a good exercise regimen that they truly enjoy and can stick with!

#17082 - 01/01/06 02:01 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Tour ,
This is exciting news about all this weigh loss. I had thyroid surgery and lost about 10 pds , but have 20 more to lose . I am still in menapause . I live in Maryland and never hear of this Bobypump. I don't weigh 200 pds I am a lot lower , but still have more to take off I wear 14 slacks . That is heavy enough . Tell us more and those this excersise low key ? Sounds exciting .

#17083 - 01/01/06 03:09 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

tourmaline, this sounds super interesting but where can I get info on where these classes are? I know I need weight training bad.

#17084 - 01/01/06 03:19 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

That is great about your mom, Tourmaline. I didn't know you could reverse osteoperosis.
Gonna go google BODYPUMP.

#17085 - 01/01/06 11:28 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

I took the Body Pump class at my local Y two years ago. IT WORKS!!!
I had to stop because of my medical problems, and the surgeries I had to have.
I was 57 at the time and my instructor told me that he didn't think he would see me back after the first class.
I was able to take the class for almost six months, and I swear you can feel it working the day after you've taken the class!
I'm afraid to take the class now because of the bone spur in my neck, and when I lift my left arm above my head it starts to tingle on me.
I would love to be able to go back to the class at the private gym I just joined, but will work up to doing my water aerobics, and other work out exercises before I think about doing Body Pump again.
If you feel you can handle it, please go for it, because it does work!
Lynne

#17086 - 01/02/06 08:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm with Nancy. I live in Blatimore and have never heard of it.

Lynne, can you do it without raising that arm?

Tormaline, your post is infectious. You must feel like a million bucks. Congrats for making the lifestyle change.

I have a sister who lost over 100 pounds on the Atkins diet. She looks fabulous and feels like a new woman.

#17087 - 01/02/06 12:44 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Dotsie...no you can't. You are lifting weights and have to lift them over your head.
The other exercises that are incorporated into the program are wonderful also.
I could just lift the bar that holds the weights over my head. I just thought of that! I might try it.
We'll see.
But again......find out where you can just go in and watch a class in action. You don't have to do all that they are doing, or you can do it at a slower pace.
As I said before....IT WORKS!!!
Lynne

#17088 - 01/02/06 05:58 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
tourmaline Offline

Hi, again! I'm glad there is so much interest in BODYPUMP. It really does get the job done!
A few of you have asked specific questions, which I will attempt to answer:

1. BODYPUMP is an international program that was developed in New Zealand, and is now being enjoyed by over 4 million people worldwide. It is strictly weight training with barbells and plates, but you do too many repetitions to get 'bulky.' You will gain some muscle, but you also burn fat. Pound for pound, muscle only takes up half of the space of fat. I went through a three month period where I didn't lose a single pound but lost three full dress sizes! Bottom line: BODYPUMP works!

2. You need to do the class at least two times a week to get results, and you need to rest a full day between classes for your muscles to recouperate.

3. Anyone who is physically capable of weight training can do the program. I have women in my classes who are over 70! The class is designed to be all-iclusive for people of all fitness levels. Each class begins with a lesson on how to lift properly, even if everyone in the class has done it before. All muscle groups are exercised, including the abs, and most exercises include both beginner and advanced technique options. If you let your instructor know before class starts that you need the options, he or she will happily demonstrate them without putting you under a spotlight. There are also options available to help people who have issues with their shoulders, knees, mobility, etc.

4. BODYPUMP, and the other Les Mills programs (BODYSTEP, BODYFLOW, BODYCOMBAT, RPM spinning, and BODYATTACK) are newer to the United States. You can find out if there is a club near you by going to the Les Mills website at
www.lesmillsusa.com
Click on the class locator and follow the instructions. You can also read in-depth descriptions of all the programs.

5. The programs are prechoreographed and change every three months so you don't get bored. You can go to any club in the world and be guaranteed the same, fabulous workout! The music is exciting and energizing, and you almost feel like you're part of a show, rather than an exercise class!

6. You can do BODYPUMP in conjunction with any other exercise program you're involved in. In fact, BODYPUMP makes you stronger and helps improve your performance in anything from skiing to walking around the neighborhood. I live in New England and burn with firewood. BODYPUMP has helped me to load my wood rack in less than half the time it used to take, so even everyday tasks are improved.

I am obviously enthralled with these programs and am happy to answer any questions you might have. I have watched them deliver the goods to dozens and dozens of people here in the little town I call 'home,' and I know that they can help anyone who is physically capable of doing them!

#17089 - 01/03/06 08:07 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Only two times a week? I like the sounds of that.

I checked the local classes. All the "hot" clubs offer it, but not the Y. I guess I have to wait for the Y to pick it up becasue I'm not joining another gym. I think I'll mention it to the guy at the desk.

Thanks for being our BODYPUMP resource. I hope you'll jump in other forums and let us get to know you better.

#17090 - 01/02/06 11:10 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
tourmaline Offline

Dear Dotsie,

Not too many YMCAs offer the Les Mills programs, because they are rather expensive for the club to offer. Les Mills programs are a franchise, and each club that offers them has to pay a considerable monthly fee to the Les Mills company. On top of that, the club has to find enough people willing to become instructors. Becomming an instructor can involve traveling to another town, or even another state (that's what I had to do) to find a training seminar. And it also costs the instructor. I had to pay a pretty good chunk of dough to take the trainings, and every three months I have to purchase the new material, not to mention the 'official' Les Mills gear that make the instructors look extra good on stage. Within three months after taking the trainings, I had to submit a video of me teaching a class. The video was then assessed by a team from Les Mills to assure that I was using correct form and technique, and only then did I become an official instructor. The club I work for has to pay me for every class I teach. It costs quite a bit to offer these programs.

But...

Les Mills paid a substantial amount of money to develop these programs. They continue to pay top dollar to top trainers and choreographers to ensure quality control. The fact that they have such a strict policy regarding the certification of teachers helps guarantee that you, as a student, will not be injured because of bad instruction from a teacher using faulty technique. Les Mills wants their programs to be the best, and they do everything possible to keep it that way.

As a certified instructor, I can teach BODYPUMP or BODYFLOW in any club that offers them anywhere in the world! And the fact that everything is prechoreographed means I don't have to spend huge amounts of time trying to develop new routines. The biggest bonus for me has been the sustained loss of 8 clothing sizes!

Note: Some YMCAs do offer BODYPUMP. But there are many that offer knock-off programs. In fact, there are many private clubs offering knock-off programs. If you want to be sure you are taking the real deal, ask if the programs are from Les Mills. If they aren't, it doesn't mean they aren't good, but I can't comment on them without taking the class myself. The only classes I feel confident recommending are from Les Mills, because I'm aware of the intensity of the company's quality control mechanisms.

This is sooooo important: When you get involved in a weight training program, form and technique are critical to your success. If you take any class involving weights, and you're not sure your technique is correct, please please please talk to the instructor after class and make sure you get it right. Your instructor should be delighted to help. If you feel like your instructor couldn't care less, I strongly recommend finding a different class time slot with a different instructor, and by all means make sure the club owner or manager knows about your experience. I have two chiropractor friends who say their biggest boost in new clients comes within the first four months of the year, when New Year's resolution people limp through their doors, looking for relief from issues developed in their new exercise regimens. The problems almost always come from faulty technique.

Most clubs will allow you to pay for a single class of BODYPUMP, so you don't necessarily have to join the club. Also, many clubs that offer Les Mills programs will allow you to try the first class for free, with no obligation to join, so you can 'try before you buy.' Of course, I believe that if you try even one program, and the instructor is doing his or her job, you will be immediately hooked!

And, again, the bottom line is that the programs absolutely deliver on their promises. When I think of the thousands of dollars I have spent over the years on diet pills and potions, crazy exercise equipment from infommercials, Nutri-System, etc., to no avail, I find myself awash with gratitude for discovering BODYPUMP. Other benefits have included a much lifted bosom and improved abs, both of which have suffered from an extreme southern migration that started 20 years ago during pregnancy... actually I have had improvements I never thought I'd see without cosmetic surgery. And I promised myself years ago I would never put myself under the knife unless it was a life-saving procedure. If he doesn't think I'm hot 'as-is', it's simply his loss [Wink] (I'm nobody's Halloween pumpkin to be carved to specification!)

#17091 - 01/03/06 02:29 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

So happy to say we have 6 locations here in Vegas. I can't believe I've never heard of this before but am glad I have now. Sent my info to them via email. If this works for me, it will work for anyone as I am NOT an exerciser... [Wink]
Tourmaline I love your attitude and outlook, especially the Halloween pumpkin bit.

#17092 - 01/03/06 02:34 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

Well I live in the middle of nowhere (and like it!)so no BODYPUMP here. We do have a Curves, though. I may try it someday. Now I'm waiting for some snow so I can try cross country skiing and snowshoeing. That should be good for the thighs and (Boomer) butt!

#17093 - 01/03/06 03:12 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Bluebird.........Please, go for the cross country skiing. It's a ball!
And.....it will have you wondering why you haven't done it before.
It's not only fun, and wonderful to be outside in the beautiful snow(ok I know, I'm nuts)you will feel it in every possible muscle you have in your body.
Go for it girl!
Lynne

#17094 - 01/03/06 03:14 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Dotsie.......I can't believe that your Y doesn't have Body Pump. My little town of Olympia has it at their Y. Sorry to hear it because it's really the thing now. And it works!
Lynne

#17095 - 01/04/06 06:16 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

I'm so happy to see BodyPump mentioned here and find some others who are big fans of it like I am!! I've been doing BodyPump for 4 years and I absolutely LOVE it!! I had been doing step-aerobics and other forms of exercise for many years before BodyPump came to our area, but I saw more change & better results in my first 3 months doing BodyPump than I ever got doing anything else. I have absolutely no problem sticking with it. I do it 3 mornings a week (on alternate days I use the elliptical machine for 30 minutes and then take an hour long Pilates class which I think is a great balance with the BodyPump).
Our gym is introducing BodyJam sometime in the next few weeks and then will be bring in BodyFlow at a later date and I'm anxious to try them all! We have BodyStep, but I'm not much into step anymore........have developed arthritis in one knee and step seems to aggravate it.
When I started doing BodyPump, I was a size 14.......I went down to a size 10 and have maintained that for the last 3 years.
It WORKS!! and one of the great things is that you can adjust your weights to your own abilities........as you get stronger you can increase them. I'm 50 and probably one of the oldest in some of my classes.......and it gives me a kick to be able to lift as much, if not more, than many of the younger ones. (and to be happy with the shape of my body when I look in the mirror!)
I'm really looking forward to when my gym brings in BodyFlow, too. I'm hoping I like it more than traditional yoga classes that I've tried.
Ann

#17096 - 01/15/06 07:50 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
nacheska Offline

Loc: Southlake,Texas
Definitely Belly Dancing and Yoga are top choices for my workout...as a former Ballet and Modern Dancer it is gentler and sweeter on the aging body. It is 7000 years old as an art and workout and I tell my students that anything that lasted that long has something going for it and belly's are welcome! Belly Dance works for every BODY (style) Aside from that I love to walk my dog,Elvis...exercise for us both but time is always the wicked cog in our exercise wheel....

#17097 - 01/16/06 12:32 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Bluebird, supposedly, cross country skiing is the ultimate workout because it uses ALL the muscles in the body. However, it doesn't snow much here in Alabama.

I don't know what BodyPump is, never heard of it. Time for a google.

Nacheska, I have always thought that belly dancing would be fun. I love to dance, even if I do look like I'm dancing to a tune I heard last week.

Your dog's name is Elvis? I love it! Walking is my thing. I love getting outside and clearing the cobwebs out of my head.

JJ

#17098 - 01/16/06 01:40 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chickadee Offline

Bodypump...sounds too much like work for me. Actually work is where I get my exercise. I walk around all day and lift hundreds of loaves of bread...I can feel muscle building up in my arms too. [Roll Eyes]
A dog named Elvis...how cool.
chick

#17099 - 01/16/06 09:37 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

jawjaw, I wish we lived closer. I'd give anything to walk with the queen. I walked 4.4 miles this morning. I finally drove the route a couple weeks ago and learned we were doing quite a hike.

Visit Nacheska's site:
Nacheska Gentry-Combs has extensive experience as an actress and dancer. Her outgoing personality and creative genius have helped Odyssey Theatrical become a premier provider of entertainment services for 30 years. Click here to learn more about her talent and experience in the entertainment industry.

Nacheska, I loved skipping around your site. Your children ar beautiful. You look like you have so much fun as a family.

If you lived in town, I might have to step out and try some belly dancing.

I hope you'll jump in the other forums and let us get to know you.

#17100 - 06/19/06 04:04 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
heavenbound Offline

Loc: Marthasville, Missouri
Greetings All,

Here I am an admitted dinosaur. This is the first time I have joined a forum of any kind. But this Website motivated me! I want to encourage anyone who is of the "I could never do that" mindset. Please for your health and well-being, stop!

At 40 I started running, ran 1/4 mile and thought I was going to drop dead and all the 12 year-olds were going to kick me to the side of the track. As it turned out, I had to honk past most of them, "Granny passing on the left!"

After a few months I got up to 3 miles a day and would have slapped myself on the back, but was afraid I would keel over dead. That was 17 years ago and I continued to run 3 miles a day,5 days a week, certain I was at the limit of my ability.

Then, in 2005, a friend begged me to run a 1/2 marathon with her. After running through a litany of excuses, all of which she would not accept, I conceded, we trained together, and in September, ran our hearts out. Certain it was a once-and-done event, I thought of dipping my number, shoes, stats, and T-shirt in bronze and return to my new 4 mile a day habit. Certain that was the most this body could endure.

Not so. That nagging friend is back. Now wanting to do the full 26.2 miles. Mercy me. I realized that I was only at a 5 mile long run and if I was going to train I had to run 9 miles last Saturday. So after lots of prayer, and a hidden assurance that if I keeled over dead I would not have to listen to my friends incessant nagging any more, I hit the road. Well, my friends, I ran that 9 miles and 10 yesterday. It helped to repeat over and over, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"

When we say, "I can't", no matter what the challenge, we are doubting the amazing power of the human body that was created by God. Sometimes we only relate Phil. 4:13 to our spiritual side. But if our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, shouldn't that body be healthy and powerful? How will the Holy Spirit work through a weak and unhealthy body? We should be giving our health serious attention if we are going to run the race and not grow weary. If God calls me to go out and serve Him, but I can't get off the couch there is a problem.

I'm not saying that you have to run a marathon, but whatever type of exercise you choose, give it everything you have, and you will realize a potential you never imagined. Aging is a state of mind!

(Opps this turned into a book, sorry!)

#17101 - 06/19/06 04:34 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Linda if your post doesn't inspire us all to get going, nothing will. How wonderful to have you here among the rest of us dinosaurs. WELCOME!

I see you are in St. Louis. My uncle owns several bicycle shops there.

I hope you love it here and will post whenever you see something that interest you...Have fun, and keep us on our toes...LITERALLY!

JJ

#17102 - 06/19/06 06:42 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
heavenbound Offline

JJ,

Thanks! I could get used to this!

My REAL challenge is going to come in the fall because I am going back to school full time AND it will be a hours drive each way. That will mean I will have to work hard to fit in. So, talk to me around October, that will be about the time my brain, who is going back to college under protest, and my body that doesn't like to function on no sleep, will probably start a coup!
But, it's all good!

Where are your Uncle's shops?

Cheers,
Linda

#17103 - 06/19/06 08:51 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I have no idea WHERE they are, just that he has three there. His name is Ray Humphries. Does that help any? I think the bicycles are manufactured there in ST. Louis. I know he travels to Ireland a lot and sends them over there. Obviously this isn't a close relative! ha! But he is a sweet, sweet man!

JJ

#17104 - 06/19/06 09:49 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Sorry...I was wrong...his name is Donald Humphries. Ray is his brother. Here is a tad about him and his shops:

Donald N. Humphries president of The Touring Cyclist, an eight-store chain that is St. Louis' largest independent bike dealer. He has three bike rental outlets on the trail in St. Charles, Defiance and Augusta. And he organized 30 bike tours over the summer.

#17105 - 06/20/06 01:42 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
Linda,Welcome and good for you on your running. My daughter works for the New York Road Runners ( they do the big N.Y. marathon.) Maybe someday you will run in the New York Marathon and I can say "hey I know her." I also in my early forties took on some challenges which took a whole lot of physical endurance ( which I don't have much of because of some health issues) and I realized the spititual endurance part of me was stronger than the physical. Now in my late forties, I am not doing much of anything physical and having some health struggles. I am needing to get back into shape to regain my physical strength but more so my spititual strength/endurance. For myself my spiritual endurance gets flabby if I do not discipline myself to challenge myself and "train" regularly. Physical strength is a good by product of spiritual strength.

#17106 - 06/20/06 02:35 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Heavenbound, running wow, how faqbulous to be able to do that. Walking fast makes me breathe hard so I do it in the pool, more resistance with less stress on the joints. If the devil were chasinhg me I doubt I could run away. Bravo to you for your accomplishments and welcome!!!

#17107 - 06/20/06 03:35 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Have you noticed how I've stayed away from this thread? Very telling.

#17108 - 06/20/06 03:55 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Yeah, me too. Exercise for me comes and goes in spurts. Right now I'm on a swimming spurt. We have a little pond in our town that I can swim in, and that's easy on my crummy knees. But the water is spring fed so it's REALLY cold. How many calories do you think I'll burn just by shivering?

I've gone swimming two days in a row now - aren't you all proud of me?? [Smile] I'm proud of me for just getting into that chilly water!

#17109 - 06/20/06 05:43 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
I take aerobics every M-W-F. There's a couple of "cheerleader types" in the class who just make you sick but the rest of us are all doing the same speed and we love it. I found out at my book signing party on Saturday that our aerobics instructor is 60!!! When he told the group at the party, my mouth dropped. I knew he was older but I would've never guessed that. It's obviously a credit to his exercising! He's a hoot and we love him to death. I'm planning to post some pictures from the party to my website and I'll let you know so you can see him.

In addition to aerobics, I do the steps at Wallace Wade stadium on the Duke University campus. There's about 3000 steps in all. I keep pushing because if I sat and did nothing, I'd probably be over 200 lbs and for my height, that would be very, very BAD.

Beverly Mahone
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age

#17110 - 06/20/06 10:34 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
sammom Offline

Curves! I go three times a week during the school year; walk to work (about 1/2 mile), walk on my lunch break (about 1 mile) and then walk home.
Summer: Curves! Usually 4 times a week, walk there and back ( about 1 1/2 miles) We also have a new puppy so I'm hoping to get hubby walking him with me on our new Rail Trail.
Curves as been the best, I've managed to keep going regularly as it is very convenient and I always run into someone I know when I'm there. Additionally, if you don't show up for a few days other members come looking for you.

#17111 - 06/21/06 07:28 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have done classic 'aerobics' since Jane Fonda and leg warmers were hot..... Yikes!! I used to go to the gym but found that I could discipline myself to work out at home with videos/dvd's.

I'm getting back into my old routine of 2/3 workout's a week with walking in between. I have somehow found a few extra numbers on the scale since we bought our new home. I guess the stress of going through another move - plus DH packed all of my tapes/weights, etc. about 3 weeks early, didn't help. Oh yeah, stuffing pizza in the pie hole because I'm too tired to shop/cook - whatever.

#17112 - 06/21/06 07:40 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
heavenbound Offline

I love this, you are all funny! Don't we need that?

Val, believe me, I have thougth about the Boston Marathon. A few years ago (and I think this is what got me to run in 05') when I was feeling pretty full of myself running 3 miles, my son introduced me to his friends grandmother who was 78 and just ran the Boston. Dang it! Talk about raining on my parade. And she had just started running at 55.

But, actually, if I were to dream, I would want to run in the Dublin Marathon. And if I were to really dream, I would win it!
Cheers,
Linda

#17113 - 06/20/06 08:36 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
I've been on the physical fitness path since my mid-twenties, starting with a basic exercise class, then going on to a gym, yoga classes, adult ballet, etc. I was pretty good at the ballet, as my build was correct - the teachers informed me if they had gotten ahold of me when I was 7 or so, they could have made a fine dancer out of me! But I was really glad to have had the opportunity to do adult ballet classes for nearly 4 years. The postural training stays with you too - to this day people pick up on my previous dance training. Movement is wondeful! The regimen I've stuck with the longest is basic bodybuilding exercise(currently with dumbbells and a bench at home, since I live in a rural area)distance-walking(5-6 miles at a time, 5x per week)and a bit of Ashtanga yoga(standing series)if I can squeeze it in. We are very likely going to move out of our rural area, and I will make a bee-line to join a gym! Any kind of running never agreed with me, even when I was younger - I tried, but it just felt like I was pounding my hips and knees to death - nothing about it felt right! I'm one of these people who MUST exercise, otherwise my natural nervous energy goes in the wrong direction, like being cranky and depressed, not to mention sluggish!
Currently I'm looking into some basic Pilates techniques to fine-tune my abdominal work.
I keep having this vision of myself as this healthy, wiry 80-year-old lady(21 years away, though!). What you envision for yourself with full intent, often manifests!

#17114 - 06/21/06 09:07 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Scissorart Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I do turbojam. It is found on Beachbody.com. We saw it on an infomercial and ordered it. Only the second thing I have ever ordered off of tv, so I wsa apprehensive. Turns out, it is the best workout I have ever done. It comes with 5 workouts: Learn and Burn, 20 minute workout, Tone (can't think of the exact name), Ab Jam (my fave), and Cardio Pary. it also comes with a manual and tape measure. I do the standing ab jam almost everyday and I vary through the 20 minute, Cardio, or burn everyday. I want to do the tone but only have one 5 lb. weight. Just haven't bought another yet. The Ab Jam (really every workout) works your abs and obliques (love handles). The ab jam has a second half on the floor but I only do the standing. I can see a big difference. It doesn't take long to see results. I tried curves, but it wasn't for me.

#17115 - 06/22/06 02:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm so busy going to/from work and school, that I drink to much soda to stay awake, which as we all know adds pounds. However, I horseback ride 2X weekly, arm lift 5lb (while blow drying hair) and occassionally side kicks (at sink also while blow drying hair!). Also, yard work is strenuous and good exercise.

I need to incorporate more water to eliminate those 5 lbs I'd like to lose!

#17117 - 06/22/06 05:58 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Pam R. Offline

I exercise 3x a week for one hour and I HATE every minute of it! I have been doing it for the past 2 1/2 years after my heart attack in 2003. First I went to Cardi-rehab, then my home spare room became my gym. My cardiologist insists and explained how there is scientific proof people live longer having exercised. Fear is the greatest movtivator!! Hey, whatever works! I use the treadmill, stairmaster, rebumbant bike, weights and stretching. Not what I call fun, but I admit I feel lots better when I am finished. In fact, I exercise after work, watch the news on TV and really do de-stress myself after a long day. Don't think I will ever get to the point of claiming I like it though!

#17119 - 06/23/06 01:11 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
I know people who hate to exercise, no matter what type it is, and they usually think I'm a "health nut" because I do so and enjoy it to boot! From what I've seen, it looks like the majority of women of our age "hate to exercise". Or it seems that the aforementioned women my age ask me if I'm "still working out". I usually tell them I'll continue until I'm no longer able(hopefully that won't be until I drop dead-LOL!). The more years you work out regularly, the more years you will be able to do so.

#17120 - 06/23/06 01:31 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
flossie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I enjoy my exercise, look forward to my weekly yoga class and also continue to do it at home daily. Treadmill is great for watching an afternoon program I have recorded and of course the dogs always like a walk around the place and I also have a horse to take care of. I'll be doing it forever! My dad still swims and walks daily.....he's 88!!

#17122 - 06/29/06 06:51 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
I find the best way to get enjoyment out of exercise is to carry along my walkman and favorite gospel CD. When I'm in the gym, I fulfill two purposes: Getting a good burn in and getting in tune to my spirituality!

There's where I'm off to right now with my Jennifer Evans CD "Delayed but not Denied"

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
www.talk2bev.com

#17123 - 06/30/06 07:15 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You are all such an inspiration. Look at all the ways boomer women are exercising. It's wonderful. I loved hearing about the woman who began running at 55. Isn't it amazing that we have so many options and the spirit with which to approach them?

I'm a walker. I walk with a friend. We walked about two and a half miles last night. I'm getting back into it since my illness and it feels so good. It actually gives me energy.

Anne, how long does it take you to walk seven miles?

Sammom, I'm a Curves burnout. I did it faitfully for over a year. then I got out of my routine and dropped out and went back to walking. I loved the camaraderie of the women. It was such an uplifting thing to do. Hmmm...maybe I'll go back when the kids all go to school this fall.

#17124 - 07/10/06 09:51 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: ]
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
I recently joined our local country club and I go to the gym twice a week, swim once a week but my love is yoga. I really recommend it, it is a fantastic workout because of realigning the body and a great destresser if anyone is thinking about it.

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#17125 - 07/10/06 11:32 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: positiveliving]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

How did you learn Yoga? Self-taught? If so, tapes? DVD's? Or did you take instructions from someone? Nosey, aren't I? But I really think Yoga is something I would like.

JJ

#17126 - 07/11/06 07:32 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I walk 5 miles daily and do Tai Chi. I used to play pelota when I was much younger (a million years ago) but gave it up when we moved to the UK.

#17127 - 07/11/06 01:21 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm the only person I know of that actually falls off the steps in the "step-aerobics." I've always been coordinated, so it was a shocker to me that I couldn't do the step aerobics. I felt like a spastic. The more I tried, the more I looked like someone on drugs. I love music and I love moving to it, so I thought this would be my ticket. NOT.

Any suggestions?

JJ

#17128 - 07/11/06 02:40 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
JJ, it's the robes. Your queenly attire is getting in the way. To do the step-aerobics you need to shed the long robe and put on some hot pink tight leotards. Then you'll be just fine....

Kathy

#17129 - 07/11/06 02:50 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Honey.....if I could fit inside hot pink leotards, why would I be doing step aerobics in the first place? Hello?

JJ

#17130 - 07/11/06 04:20 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, JJ: Hula hoops might be fine with the robes. However, the crown might have to be put aside while at it...a tiara perhaps...

#17131 - 07/12/06 05:39 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Lola]
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Hello

I go to a class of yoga at the club. Its definately something I think a class would be the best way to start. I love it and it is definately good for the mind, body and soul.

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#17133 - 07/15/06 11:54 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: ]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
JJ, why did I know you were going to say that? LOL
Louisa

#17134 - 07/16/06 02:20 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, WOW, that's amazing. We walk about 3 to 3 1/2 miles in 50 minutes to an hour. It just depends on the humidity.

Positiveliving, I've only taken two yoga classes in my life. That's soemthing I hope to do in my empty nest, even if I do it from a tape at home.

#17135 - 07/17/06 11:07 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I exercise my mind weith my editing, my eyes reading and watching TV and my fingers on the computer when the weather outside is 112 degrees. Even the pool water is a yuk warm. Guess I'll just stay flabby until September...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#17136 - 01/21/07 11:54 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I returned to cycling at 31 ...still at it nearing 48 yrs. now. For the past 25 years of life, I have not lived in a household with a car. So if it isn't on bike, then it's walking and public transit. I average about 5,000 kms. annually on cycling..outdoors. I detest cycling indoors. We live right at the foot of a major bikepath. Where we live it's inspiring to go out and cycle...mountains, ocean, etc.

About 40% of the cycling that I do is solo. Yes, I will cycle 50-70 kms. in a day trip about the city. It's wonderful! Other part is with my partner....who is a well-know cycling advocate in our city. He does double, even triple the amount that I do annually.

A few years ago I was part of a committee for 5 years that ran a women's cycling group. I've led bike rides...we had workshops on cycling for women. ABout 200 women were part of our group.

#17137 - 01/21/07 11:56 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

I should add that I don't know as many women compared to men who cycle. Very true for commuting to work by bike. Usually I am 1 women out of 25 men, who is bike commuting to work.

I would recommend biking to work strongly as a way of changing your lifestyle so that exercise becomes integrated naturally into your routine...if you lack time to exercise.

#17138 - 01/22/07 12:34 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, sounds like you live in an area that is conducive to riding. Around here, you could get killed cycling. There is so much traffic and very few roads with paths. And I don't get it because you can have a great path on one major road that leads you to man yother roads that have no paths at all. This is something Maryland definitely needs to address.

What a great way to get exercise. Sounds like you and your partner have some great fun together.

#17139 - 01/22/07 01:02 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
orchid Offline

Quote:

orchid, sounds like you live in an area that is conducive to riding. Around here, you could get killed cycling. There is so much traffic and very few roads with paths. And I don't get it because you can have a great path on one major road that leads you to man yother roads that have no paths at all. This is something Maryland definitely needs to address.

What a great way to get exercise. Sounds like you and your partner have some great fun together.

And there are alot of walkers and joggers in our area. I live in a city with over 1 million people. Previous city was also over 1 million also. More like 2 million.Have always lived near downtown or near major public transportation routes.

Cycling on roads with some cars does require cycling with confidence and alertness. It's not dallying about unless you are cycling in a cul-de-sac area.

My only wish ...that more women here would dust off their bikes and bike. Some women have literally told me they don't want to bike for fear of messing their hair!

Your fear of busy roads is same as some men. It just helps to go with an experienced cyclist who knows local traffic patterns and good routes, etc.

#17140 - 01/22/07 01:09 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: orchid]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I danced ballet and did gymnastics in my teens. Then started riding horses. From my 20s into my 50s I kept in shape dancing to rock 'n roll and da blues! Since I met the elevator I'm lucky to do the stairs at work and walk out to see the beach (also at work). Live in a 2nd floor apartment and consider carrying groceries and water up the stairs part of my exercise.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#17141 - 01/22/07 02:26 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Saundra]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I have been there - a flight of stairs is a workout! You made me laugh, Saundra.

I have a few girlfriends that bike everywhere 3 seasons of the year. They are in great shape. They ride in several bike-a-thons, too.

Me, I never got into it as a means of transportation. Even when I was a kid, I would rather walk than ride the bike. Maybe it is the shape of my rear end, but no matter the seat, I could never take it very long.

Dancing to the blues? Ooooooh, Saundra, you brought back some great memories. It has been a few years, but I tell you, what a great way to keep off the weight.

#17142 - 01/23/07 04:21 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Anno]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I use my Gazelle. Picked it up at a rummage sale and love it. I can even read while Gazelling.

#17143 - 01/24/07 02:02 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: gims]
Pam R. Offline

Gimster, Do you think your gazelle is working? I have been thinking of buying one for quite some time but read some negative information online about it. Seems they say with the swinging motion you are not really doing the work. What's your take on that?

#17144 - 01/24/07 02:13 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Pam R.]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'd bet it doesn't do the same good as walking. As for walking, we live in a semi-secluded area and I'm just too afraid to go it alone. DH's takes him out of town often, and he can't walk with me regularly. That's why he got me the Gazelle.
I don't keep my actions to a single swinging motion. I push forward, pull backward, and stretch my stride. I also place my hands in various positions, which gives me stretch variances. I like it because it doesn't hurt. I can work up a sweat, tho. Every so often, I pull out my Total Gymn to give my muscles a work out. Haven't had it out since before the holidays... hating myself for that!!!!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved