The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17079 - 11/10/05 08:18 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
quote:
Originally posted by Lynnie:
Of course, I could always get a clean bowl, but then I would have to get up again and that would be exercise on the way to the fridge.

Lynnie, your humour is so delightful. Puts a sparkle in my day, and reminds me to do a few more flights of stairs back and forth to my own refrigerator before the day's over...

#17080 - 11/10/05 05:27 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Just give me a man, just once that knows which end of the hammer to use. None of my husbands were handy and what a pain that is....They couldn't do it right but could always do it over, NOT!!!

#17081 - 01/01/06 12:59 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
tourmaline Offline

Wow! This is a busy thread!

Since this is New Year's Eve, and tomorrow is the day that many of us designate as 'the' day to make changes, I thought I'd share my exercise success story.

My New Year's resolution for 2004 was to lose weight. I weighed 215 and was in a size 24. I found a program called BODYPUMP (it is trademarked in all caps...) and within 8 months I was a size 12 and was on my way to take the training to become an instructor. Here it is, New Year's Eve 2005, and I have kept it off for a year and a half now! This is a minor miracle for me, because I have been heavy all of my life. I was in Weight Watchers when I was 6 years old, and in 40 years, there have only been about three times that I lost enough weight to be considered a 'normal' size. It totally blows my mind that I not only have kept the weight off, but that I also have become a fitness instructor. People are floored when they see my 'before ' and 'after' pictures at my gym. It's so strange to be talking to someone about dieting and exercise, and then they look me up and down and say, "Of course, you don't have any clue what it's like to be overweight."

I absolutely love BODYPUMP, and am delighted to see it mentioned in some of the other posts here. It's a one-hour, weight lifting class that exercises every muscle in the body. You only have to do it twice a week to get fast, noticeable results. (Results are hindered somewhat if you end the day with a Sara Lee cheesecake...) But I haven't had to give up a single carb. The class uses great music, and there is a high entertainment factor. There are rooms full of people who have been doing this for years, and still aren't tired of it. It's an international program, and is much newer to the US. If you want to find a club near you that offers BODYPUMP or other Les Mills (BODYPUMP's parent company) programs, they have a web site that contains a club locator, and plenty of info about their programs. (www.lesmillsusa.com) I've recently started teaching another one of their programs called BODYFLOW, which is a Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates mix. My flexibilty and balance have improved, and I've had improvements in my abs that I thought I'd never see without cosmetic surgery. I've had similar improvements in my bust line, which has become much less 'gravitationally challenged!"

My mother, who used to be an inactive Senior, started taking my BODYPUMP classes as soon as I became an instructor to be supportive of 'her little girl.' My mom suffered from osteoporosis for 7 years, and was taking hardcore medication and eating properly with no success. 9 months after BODYPUMP, she went for a bone scan and her osteoporosis was gone! BODYPUMP's weight-bearing nature is what did it. I'm sure she could have had similar results in a weight room, or with weights at home, but the program is just plain fun. Most exercise regimens fail because they're boring. But I have never even once had to force myself to go to a class, or get excited about a class I am teaching.

I didn't mean to write a novel, but I am obviously a 'raving fan' of BODYPUMP. I'm over 40, and I'm in better shape than most of the people I know who are half of my age. I'm the oldest instructor at the gym, but I'm known for being the most energetic and enthusiastic. Most people don't believe I'm in my 40's, and usually guess my age at about 34. It's hard for me to believe that two years ago I was in a size 24, or that at my largest I was in a size 28. Every month I get to witness both women and men ranging in ages from teens to 75 achieve their goals, and the joy that comes with their accomplishments.

I wish everyone here a happy New Year, and hope everyone is able to find a good exercise regimen that they truly enjoy and can stick with!

#17082 - 01/01/06 02:01 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Tour ,
This is exciting news about all this weigh loss. I had thyroid surgery and lost about 10 pds , but have 20 more to lose . I am still in menapause . I live in Maryland and never hear of this Bobypump. I don't weigh 200 pds I am a lot lower , but still have more to take off I wear 14 slacks . That is heavy enough . Tell us more and those this excersise low key ? Sounds exciting .

#17083 - 01/01/06 03:09 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
tourmaline, this sounds super interesting but where can I get info on where these classes are? I know I need weight training bad.

#17084 - 01/01/06 03:19 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
That is great about your mom, Tourmaline. I didn't know you could reverse osteoperosis.
Gonna go google BODYPUMP.

#17085 - 01/01/06 11:28 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
I took the Body Pump class at my local Y two years ago. IT WORKS!!!
I had to stop because of my medical problems, and the surgeries I had to have.
I was 57 at the time and my instructor told me that he didn't think he would see me back after the first class.
I was able to take the class for almost six months, and I swear you can feel it working the day after you've taken the class!
I'm afraid to take the class now because of the bone spur in my neck, and when I lift my left arm above my head it starts to tingle on me.
I would love to be able to go back to the class at the private gym I just joined, but will work up to doing my water aerobics, and other work out exercises before I think about doing Body Pump again.
If you feel you can handle it, please go for it, because it does work!
Lynne

#17086 - 01/02/06 08:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm with Nancy. I live in Blatimore and have never heard of it.

Lynne, can you do it without raising that arm?

Tormaline, your post is infectious. You must feel like a million bucks. Congrats for making the lifestyle change.

I have a sister who lost over 100 pounds on the Atkins diet. She looks fabulous and feels like a new woman.

#17087 - 01/02/06 12:44 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Dotsie...no you can't. You are lifting weights and have to lift them over your head.
The other exercises that are incorporated into the program are wonderful also.
I could just lift the bar that holds the weights over my head. I just thought of that! I might try it.
We'll see.
But again......find out where you can just go in and watch a class in action. You don't have to do all that they are doing, or you can do it at a slower pace.
As I said before....IT WORKS!!!
Lynne

#17088 - 01/02/06 05:58 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
tourmaline Offline

Hi, again! I'm glad there is so much interest in BODYPUMP. It really does get the job done!
A few of you have asked specific questions, which I will attempt to answer:

1. BODYPUMP is an international program that was developed in New Zealand, and is now being enjoyed by over 4 million people worldwide. It is strictly weight training with barbells and plates, but you do too many repetitions to get 'bulky.' You will gain some muscle, but you also burn fat. Pound for pound, muscle only takes up half of the space of fat. I went through a three month period where I didn't lose a single pound but lost three full dress sizes! Bottom line: BODYPUMP works!

2. You need to do the class at least two times a week to get results, and you need to rest a full day between classes for your muscles to recouperate.

3. Anyone who is physically capable of weight training can do the program. I have women in my classes who are over 70! The class is designed to be all-iclusive for people of all fitness levels. Each class begins with a lesson on how to lift properly, even if everyone in the class has done it before. All muscle groups are exercised, including the abs, and most exercises include both beginner and advanced technique options. If you let your instructor know before class starts that you need the options, he or she will happily demonstrate them without putting you under a spotlight. There are also options available to help people who have issues with their shoulders, knees, mobility, etc.

4. BODYPUMP, and the other Les Mills programs (BODYSTEP, BODYFLOW, BODYCOMBAT, RPM spinning, and BODYATTACK) are newer to the United States. You can find out if there is a club near you by going to the Les Mills website at
www.lesmillsusa.com
Click on the class locator and follow the instructions. You can also read in-depth descriptions of all the programs.

5. The programs are prechoreographed and change every three months so you don't get bored. You can go to any club in the world and be guaranteed the same, fabulous workout! The music is exciting and energizing, and you almost feel like you're part of a show, rather than an exercise class!

6. You can do BODYPUMP in conjunction with any other exercise program you're involved in. In fact, BODYPUMP makes you stronger and helps improve your performance in anything from skiing to walking around the neighborhood. I live in New England and burn with firewood. BODYPUMP has helped me to load my wood rack in less than half the time it used to take, so even everyday tasks are improved.

I am obviously enthralled with these programs and am happy to answer any questions you might have. I have watched them deliver the goods to dozens and dozens of people here in the little town I call 'home,' and I know that they can help anyone who is physically capable of doing them!

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved