The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17049 - 11/07/05 11:21 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I admire people who can discipline themselves enough to get out there and walk. Its fresh air, its good for you, and its free. It just doesn't make sense NOT to do it. So why do I fight it?

SMILES... you mean to tell me all this time it was a flip-flop wearing guy? Holy Moly... maybe I DO need to get back out there and walk....

JJ

#17050 - 11/07/05 11:38 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I'm tellin' ya' JJ, it was the same chippendale guy who has been chasing me.
And I'm here to tell ya' just knowing he's back there will get you out to walk--verrry slowly.
smile

#17051 - 11/08/05 02:26 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
OK, lemme explain this in mega simple terms. These are the components of fitness:

stretching
balancing
cardio-vascular (aerobic)
resistance (weight) training

STRETCHING
helps prevent stiffness
helps prevent "pulled-out" injuries
does not burn fat
does not build muscle

BALANCING
keeps our body "centered"
helps prevent falls
does not burn fat
strengthens our core (abdominal, back)
does not build visible muscle

AEROBICS
keeps heart and lungs healthy
burns calories (as in: weight). Aerobic activity over 30 minutes burns calories faster; however, 5 minutes of aerobics is better than 0.
only minimally builds muscle

WEIGHT TRAINING:
burns a small amount of calories
firms areas by building muscle. Even if area is "padded", the muscle underneath will make the contours look better.
helps prevent bone breaks

All of these components help us function better in life. We're less tired, less prone to injury, and more able to do the things we want. For those of you who scoff at weight lifting: do you, or do you not, want to be able to lift your grandchildren without throwing your back out?

no-cost 1-lb. weights for arm exercises: cans of vegetables.
no-cost weights, heavier: empty juice or milk containers with handles. Fill them up with water or sand.

no-cost aerobics: walking, climbing stairs, dancing.

For all of the above, even 5 minutes a day is better than no minutes a day.

I'm off my soapbox, and back to the gym today after a 1-week hiatus due to 80-hour work week last 7 days.

#17052 - 11/08/05 02:36 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I think part of the problem is that many women think of themselves as non-athletic. I was terrible at all sports until I found weight lifting when I was 26. How do we say KLUTZ?

When I teach my class, I tell the women that we're not training for the Olympics and we're not aiming for "perfect" bodies. Rather, we're helping our bodies function better in the real world.

There's a mind/body/spirit connection that makes us whole. Ignore any one part, and the others have to work that much harder to compensate. Imbalance can be caused by illness, or lead to it.

Also: we're all thankful we don't have the personality of a 20-year-old. Maybe we should also make peace with bodies that are no longer 20. I'm not a failure because I'm not in the same shape I was 10 years ago. I'm only a failure if I don't make 55 as good as it can be.

Was I back on my soapbox? Maybe I should go eat lunch [Roll Eyes]

[ November 07, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

#17053 - 11/08/05 06:22 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Meredith, thanks for the exercise tips. Dotsie, I am very close to a curves. What has kept you away for six months if you enjoyed it so much? Boomer Women Speak? Your Sisters keeping you busy?

#17054 - 11/08/05 06:51 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Meredith,
Where does walking "fall" in those categories?

SMILES... what do I do with him if he catches me? My memory only goes back soooo far ya know.

JJ

#17055 - 11/08/05 07:01 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

Hey if he catches you and you can't remember what to do with him, call me. Yep. MY memory is pretty good.

And my imagination is EXCELLENT!!

smile

#17056 - 11/08/05 07:07 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

ohhhhhh no you don't. If I get my big butt out of this chair and walk long enough to catch him--- uh I mean let him catch ME, then I'll figure it out.

There's always the library. They got books with pictures.

But thanks girlfriend. What a friend, eh?

JJ

#17057 - 11/08/05 07:12 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
smilinize Offline

There is no sacrifice too great. You know, anything for a friend.

And boy if you catch one... I mean if one of those chipendales catches you, for heaven's sake give me a call.

Lots of us boomers have been wanting to see one of those guys up close for years. So don't be greedy.
smile

#17058 - 11/08/05 07:20 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Chips? Did someone mention Chips?

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved