The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17029 - 11/02/05 09:17 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I loved the music they played. Kept me going.

#17030 - 11/02/05 09:26 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I try to walk at least 4 or 5 mornings a week. I usually average 2 miles each day. It's wonderful to walk and pray while looking at those majestic mountains. Very peaceful and inspiring...and in this weather, very invigorating!!

#17031 - 11/03/05 02:25 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Wow! Winter gardening in Russia! Anyone would find that difficult on the joints, no matter her age. These days I hike like Bluebird. I try to walk 3 miles a day, sometimes 4.5, in the Colorado terrain. My problem is that I do not do it in the morning. Rather, I like afternoon walks. But it is getting darker sooner, so I am trying to train my body to get going in the morning. I know I need toning and strength building exercise, but I don't want to spend money on Curves, etc. So when we get into our house in December I will pull out the Yoga and Pilates tapes and do exercise at home. I am also interested in the rubber band resistance exercise. You know, exercise used to be incorporated into sports like ice skating, skiiing, swimming, horse back riding. Now I have to force myself to do an exercise routine.

#17032 - 11/03/05 03:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mrs_Madness they also have elasticized wraps that can be worn anywhere and they make heat wherever you put them there are also warming creams that seem to do the same thing. These might help some.....

Xercyse, whats that, how do you spell it again??? Is it anything like fingers floating along the computer keys? If not then I know not what it is, sounds painful to me...LOL !!! [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

[ November 02, 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#17033 - 11/03/05 11:17 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Lynne, first of all -- there is no such thing as spot weight reducing. Period. All those waist wraps and other gizmos to lose weight in a certain area are frauds.

Where you accumulate body fat is genetic. After menopause many women get thicker through the middle (including yours truly) because belly fat holds the most estrogen and this is your body's way of coping with estrogen loss. When you gain or lose weight, it's proportional to your genetic predisposition.

However, you can firm different areas through exercise. Firming won't get rid of the fat, but rather you'll build muscle underneath the fat so you look less flabby.

There are 3 different muscles that we lump as "stomach". In the parentheses are specific exercises that target them.

Lower abdominal (leg raises)
upper abdominal (crunches)
obliques --aka "love handles" (diagonal crunches)

There's also a term -- core training -- that you probably know through Pilates. This refers to all the stomach and back muscles. Walking is good. So is sitting on the big rubber ball.

Lifting your arms over your head works on your shoulders, not your belly.

#17034 - 11/04/05 12:32 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've got a question. Can exercise raise the buttocks to their former position closer to the torso versus dropped toward the knees? Pilates really does work the core and helps to keep a trimmed torso.

#17035 - 11/04/05 09:40 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Lynnie, the muscle you want to work is called gluteous maximus (and in my case, it definitely is "maximus" LOL)

Some exercises that work that area:
lunges
squats
mountain climbing
2-at-a-time stair-climbing
skiing
dancing
hurdles

#17036 - 11/04/05 05:18 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I think step-aerobics is another one you can add to that list.......

#17037 - 11/05/05 08:14 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynnie, walking is excellent for the butt. I was just 10 minutes late for my morning walk with a neighbor friend. I got lost in the forums and she called wondering where I was. Ah...the beauty of working from home.

#17038 - 11/05/05 08:48 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Chatty, you brat you. You stole my line! LOL...does shopping count as xerzize?

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved