The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17133 - 07/15/06 11:54 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: ]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
JJ, why did I know you were going to say that? LOL
Louisa

#17134 - 07/16/06 02:20 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, WOW, that's amazing. We walk about 3 to 3 1/2 miles in 50 minutes to an hour. It just depends on the humidity.

Positiveliving, I've only taken two yoga classes in my life. That's soemthing I hope to do in my empty nest, even if I do it from a tape at home.

#17135 - 07/17/06 11:07 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I exercise my mind weith my editing, my eyes reading and watching TV and my fingers on the computer when the weather outside is 112 degrees. Even the pool water is a yuk warm. Guess I'll just stay flabby until September...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#17136 - 01/21/07 11:54 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I returned to cycling at 31 ...still at it nearing 48 yrs. now. For the past 25 years of life, I have not lived in a household with a car. So if it isn't on bike, then it's walking and public transit. I average about 5,000 kms. annually on cycling..outdoors. I detest cycling indoors. We live right at the foot of a major bikepath. Where we live it's inspiring to go out and cycle...mountains, ocean, etc.

About 40% of the cycling that I do is solo. Yes, I will cycle 50-70 kms. in a day trip about the city. It's wonderful! Other part is with my partner....who is a well-know cycling advocate in our city. He does double, even triple the amount that I do annually.

A few years ago I was part of a committee for 5 years that ran a women's cycling group. I've led bike rides...we had workshops on cycling for women. ABout 200 women were part of our group.

#17137 - 01/21/07 11:56 PM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

I should add that I don't know as many women compared to men who cycle. Very true for commuting to work by bike. Usually I am 1 women out of 25 men, who is bike commuting to work.

I would recommend biking to work strongly as a way of changing your lifestyle so that exercise becomes integrated naturally into your routine...if you lack time to exercise.

#17138 - 01/22/07 12:34 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, sounds like you live in an area that is conducive to riding. Around here, you could get killed cycling. There is so much traffic and very few roads with paths. And I don't get it because you can have a great path on one major road that leads you to man yother roads that have no paths at all. This is something Maryland definitely needs to address.

What a great way to get exercise. Sounds like you and your partner have some great fun together.

#17139 - 01/22/07 01:02 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
orchid Offline

Quote:

orchid, sounds like you live in an area that is conducive to riding. Around here, you could get killed cycling. There is so much traffic and very few roads with paths. And I don't get it because you can have a great path on one major road that leads you to man yother roads that have no paths at all. This is something Maryland definitely needs to address.

What a great way to get exercise. Sounds like you and your partner have some great fun together.

And there are alot of walkers and joggers in our area. I live in a city with over 1 million people. Previous city was also over 1 million also. More like 2 million.Have always lived near downtown or near major public transportation routes.

Cycling on roads with some cars does require cycling with confidence and alertness. It's not dallying about unless you are cycling in a cul-de-sac area.

My only wish ...that more women here would dust off their bikes and bike. Some women have literally told me they don't want to bike for fear of messing their hair!

Your fear of busy roads is same as some men. It just helps to go with an experienced cyclist who knows local traffic patterns and good routes, etc.

#17140 - 01/22/07 01:09 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: orchid]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I danced ballet and did gymnastics in my teens. Then started riding horses. From my 20s into my 50s I kept in shape dancing to rock 'n roll and da blues! Since I met the elevator I'm lucky to do the stairs at work and walk out to see the beach (also at work). Live in a 2nd floor apartment and consider carrying groceries and water up the stairs part of my exercise.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#17141 - 01/22/07 02:26 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Saundra]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I have been there - a flight of stairs is a workout! You made me laugh, Saundra.

I have a few girlfriends that bike everywhere 3 seasons of the year. They are in great shape. They ride in several bike-a-thons, too.

Me, I never got into it as a means of transportation. Even when I was a kid, I would rather walk than ride the bike. Maybe it is the shape of my rear end, but no matter the seat, I could never take it very long.

Dancing to the blues? Ooooooh, Saundra, you brought back some great memories. It has been a few years, but I tell you, what a great way to keep off the weight.

#17142 - 01/23/07 04:21 AM Re: What do you do for exercise? [Re: Anno]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I use my Gazelle. Picked it up at a rummage sale and love it. I can even read while Gazelling.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved