The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#17017 - 10/31/05 05:40 PM What do you do for exercise?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Hi ladies!

I'm a true gym rat.....I belong to a Lifestyle Family Fitness that is happily only 4 miles from my home, and I'm there 5 or 6 mornings a week. I like to do a variety of the classes (discovered a long time ago that I'm much better about exercising in group sessions -- just have a hard time getting motivated to exercise alone other than walking). I take one of my dogs for a walk every morning (some days longer walks than others, anywhere from a mile to 3 miles) and then I head to the gym for class. I do step-aerobics, Pilates, BodyPump (weight-lifting) and the one day per week that there's no class on the schedule I like, I use the elliptical machine and the treadmill.

I'm always curious to hear what other women enjoy doing for exercise..........anybody else lift weights? Get into Pilates? What are you gals into these days?

#17018 - 10/31/05 06:28 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is a sore topic for me. I have always exercised. For years, while the kids were growoing up I walked between 1-4 miles about 5 times a week. My two favorite walking partners moved! Then I faithfully went to Curves for well over a year, but haven't been since June.

We have a family membership at the Y, which I don't use except for tennis. I am still throwing my money away at Curves. I keep telling myself I'll get there.

For the most part, I am doing occasional walking.

Congrats for sticking to it! You're an inspiration.

#17019 - 10/31/05 10:00 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
I just got a full time job as a gardener/groundskeeper (in Russia, in the winter). I like the work but it's really hard on my joints--knees, elbows, wrists. And I just can't keep my hands and feet warm. This could be my last hurrah in this line of work.

It's terrible to get too old to be able to do the work you love. The thought of flourescent lights and grey cubicles and office gossip sets my teeth to chattering. I can't deal with it at all. I guess I'll keep pushing a wheelbarrow till the bitter end. What to do....

#17020 - 10/31/05 10:44 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oh, Burrr... my teeth are chattering right along with you.
I'd be crawling in on hands and knees..begging for warmth.
My feet get cold and my entire self is cold.

#17021 - 10/31/05 11:20 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Mrs. Madness - have you tried using the little "hand warmer" "feet warmer" packets from an outdoors store? We use these when we go camping/skiing, hiking in fall/winter, etc.

There are two kinds - One is small enough not to irritate movement but is a one-time use deal...and the other uses a fluid that you light and heats the unit and reusable. The difference in cost I have seen is $3 for a pack of 3 or 4 or $20 for the reusable unit.

#17022 - 10/31/05 11:34 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
quote:
Originally posted by DallasGal:
Mrs. Madness - have you tried using the little "hand warmer" "feet warmer" packets from an outdoors store? We use these when we go camping/skiing, hiking in fall/winter, etc.

There are two kinds - One is small enough not to irritate movement but is a one-time use deal...and the other uses a fluid that you light and heats the unit and reusable. The difference in cost I have seen is $3 for a pack of 3 or 4 or $20 for the reusable unit.

Yeah, we have a Cabellas catalog and I've seen that stuff but it's such a hassle....I have to order it and charge it on my credit card and wait forever for it to get here and then it won't fit in my boots and gloves.

My husband has a pair of battery powered socks (!) I wore them once but they barely worked and had big old battery packs that didn't fit inside my pants. Winter will be over in April--just 6 months away!

But it's the joints that really take a beating. Dammit, I'm fit though. And they're paying me, not vice versa. I never can seem to drag myself to one of those machines in the gym although I'm always telling myself that one day I'm going to do it, I never have. Normally i'd rather be outside doing something. This time I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

#17023 - 11/01/05 09:29 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I've lifted weigts since 1976. I belong to a gym and manage to get there 2 days a week, plus I teach an exercise class one day a week.

I hike only in the winter, as summer is WAY too hot here! I don't have time until after my work season is over (Dec. 24)

#17024 - 11/01/05 10:46 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Meredithbead...
I was doing a Body Pump class plus Pilates when I became ill. I had lost 58 lbs. (it's still off thank God)but am now stuggling to take more weight off.
I found out I have a bone spur on C-7 in July, and just finised PT.
Started Pilates again, but am afraid of injuring the neck.
I'm asking if there are any exercises where I don't have to lift weights over my head(the left arm goes tingly)and can start to whittle away this belly I have.
It's the only place I need to lose more weight. There isn't much left of the other parts of me, but of course, the skin that hangs, but that's ok, I can live with that.
I belong to the YMCA here in Olympia, but they don't seem to be to interested in helping me.
If there is a web site I can go to to show me exercies I can do I'd really appreciate some directon. I need to lose this belly!!!!
Thank you
Lynne

#17025 - 11/01/05 11:08 PM Re: What do you do for exercise?
mellodysmiles Offline

Loc: Redding, CA
LSmith...
I got one of those little bellys too! [Eek!] Right now there is nothing I can do because of a back injury. However, when I am able again I am going to try one of those huge rubber balls. You can get them at WalMart, Target, Sears...I have even seen them at Barnes and Noble Bookstores. I am told that they are really useful in strengthening, reducing and toning a body.

#17027 - 11/02/05 01:16 AM Re: What do you do for exercise?
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
speakermom.....what do you think of Curves? I've considered going there. Is it pricy? Do they have trainers that really know what they are doing, or is just "cute" little girls with nothing better to do.
Would appreciate some feed back.
Thanks
Lynne

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved