The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#168954 - 12/26/08 10:40 AM Re: Gift: New Job for 2009 [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Yes, Meredith. Sometimes I'm an early bird. We have had an exhausting two days, so Hubby and I went to bed early last night. Sometimes I don't need more than 5 hours of sleep...I love it when I can sleep 7 hours.

#168955 - 12/26/08 11:56 AM Re: Gift: New Job for 2009 [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith I am sure those girls are happy to get your jewelry pieces.
Congrats Orchid on your new job.
And 50 is nifty!

#169437 - 12/30/08 04:42 PM Re: Gift: New Job for 2009 [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
orchid, how's it feel to be winding down on the old job?

Congrats on the new one.

What are you doing for the 50th? I just turned 50 in '08. Welcome to the club!

#172032 - 01/20/09 06:17 AM Update- More Sanity: New Job for 2009 [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It is very strange for me, to begin a new job...when the work commute time and distance has been reduced by 50%. Now my evenings outside of work ..are longer! And hence I no longer have to leave home so early. Plus my daily work hrs. are in total shorter than previous job.

This means I recover/regain 4.5 additional hrs. of personal time EACH WORK DAY, that I lost in former job!!!!!!! shocked

Looking back, methinks I was in denial on how much personal time was sucked up by working at a former job that located so far out. If I wasn't in denial, I would have been a mental basket case if I thought too much about the insanity of previous job.

This job also provides an option to be on compressed work week, which means working longer hrs. daily but getting every Friday (or Monday) off every 3 wks. Now that I like.. grin

It is a job in the non-profit sector and for employee retention, the employer tries to offer non-salary benefits also.

Edited by orchid (01/20/09 06:25 AM)

#172101 - 01/20/09 07:45 PM Re: Update- More Sanity: New Job for 2009 [Re: orchid]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Orchid -- I certainly hope you are planning to spend at least part of the 4.5 hours you have gained riding your bike. Sounds like you are in a much better situation now. Congratulations.

#172145 - 01/21/09 06:10 AM Re: Update- More Sanity: New Job for 2009 [Re: cyclinggal]
orchid Offline

Yes, cyclinggal I have every intention of returning to round trips of cycling between home and work..when the weather becomes warmer again. Right now it's black ice time in the mornings and evenings. Too risky, I've fallen on 2 different occasions from bike on black ice in the past 4 years. Fortunately I was cycling slowly with no traffic around me at that fallin' moment.

Interestingly, this new employer has all sorts of health and fitness incentives. They have rewards points system where if you rack up enough points from regular forms of exercise one gets gift certificate ..to ie. GAP,etc.

I was shown a gymn with weight machines and elliptical running machines for free use by employees. I must admit this is abit lost on me since I don't even use the stuff in my home building.
But a secured bike storage area, showers, lockers to store bike gear, etc. laugh

Haven't had time to fully explore these wonderful benefits, since am still ramping up with rapid learning of certain things in new job right now.

Dotsie, I haven't a clue how to celebrate the big 50. I'm probably celebrating right now in terms of the latest change and Maui vacation (which the latter I initiated the vacation location switch from Jasper, Alberta.)

Edited by orchid (01/21/09 06:14 AM)

#172162 - 01/21/09 12:29 PM Re: Update- More Sanity: New Job for 2009 [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Orchid, although a bit late, Congratulations! Sounds like your new position offers many intrinsic values and opportunities for you!

#172170 - 01/21/09 12:50 PM Re: Update- More Sanity: New Job for 2009 [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sounds like a great way to celebrate to me. You're going through a little reinvention which sounds fun.

Do most Canadian employers offer all the healthy living incentives?

#172270 - 01/22/09 02:21 AM Re: Update- More Sanity: New Job for 2009 [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Not necessarily, Dotsie. It depends on the organization. Since this organization is non-profit and do need people with certain skill sets to deal with difficult clients, they need to offer certain benefits to retain good employees when the salaries simply are abit lower against some private sector employers.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved