The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166712 - 11/30/08 01:26 PM Wheelchairs?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anyone convinced an elderly loved one that it's time for a wheelchair? If so, how did you do it?

#166740 - 11/30/08 09:42 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My cousin Micheal ordered his mother, whos a stubborn, 91 years old, she's my mothers older sister, anyway he just ordered her a hover-round and the salesman delivered it and while there he was teaching her to maneuver it and now she loves it.

Sometimes it's better just to DO IT and worry about the consequences later. These new hover-rounds are so modern and go anywhere. People feel better about them than the old bulky ones.

The ease of being self propelled is great/fun for them. Plus medicare approves them and Dr. Bregal can even write a prescription for it.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#166980 - 12/04/08 03:22 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I think you make a great point. We need to do it and get on with things. I have a feeling it might be tough at first, but eventually he'll love getting around and seeing more than he's currently seeing from the car and benches around town. I think you've motivated me to call his doctor for the prescription. Thanks. It's what I needed to hear. How cool is that? I'm putting the computer down and calling now.

#166981 - 12/04/08 03:30 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I just called and she is giving the note to the doctor so I hope to pick up the prescription tomorrow. I hope my siblings won't be upset with me. I'm only trying to improve his quality of life which is waht I'll tell them.

#166987 - 12/04/08 03:46 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We dithered about getting one of those hover-rounds for Mom, and in hindsight, she probably would have loved it too. I agree with Chatty, sometimes you just have to do it. I'll be interested in hearing the reactions and other developments on this story, Dotsie. Your heart is so full of compassion and care for your loved one...his heart will probably jump for joy at the prospect of having even that little bit of independence back again.

(Maya Angelou)

#167014 - 12/04/08 11:45 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Good for you Dotsie, BRAVO, and I bet he'll love his new found freedom. I wouldn't give a hoot about what the sibblings think, you are the one acting on his behalf. It is all good...

My cousin teased his mother and told her he got her the convertible she always wanted. Now when she is rolling around town she calls it her Corvette.

#167055 - 12/05/08 04:24 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
When you have a lot of siblings involved, like you do, and like I did, sometimes you just have to move on it, like Chatty said. And 9 times out of 10, everyone else is relieved that the major decision was made by someone else and they didn't have to be the one to do it. There will ALWAYS be ONE out of the crowd who would throw in their two cents worth of wanting to do it another way, but you have to get past that with simple statements like, "It was time and needed to be done. After all, it's in HIS best interest, not ours." PERIOD.

Good for you. Having to put my own dad in a wheelchair was entirely different as his mind wasn't good at the time, so it was just a matter of telling him, "Look what I got for you daddy! Now we can go to the park, the mall, heck even the moon if we want to!" Me being excited made him excited to try it and he loved being chauffeured around. He would say, "Once around the park, James." And cute things like that.

Again I said, good for you on setting things in motion.

#167556 - 12/13/08 02:06 AM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Anything new on the 'wheelchair mystery?' Is he or isn't he getting one? He will love it after he fusses awhile, they all seem to feel like fussing before they see how marvelous it is for them having one and how easy it is to get around. Just flip a switch and off they go....

#167647 - 12/14/08 02:44 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for asking. Last Friday, a week ago, I went and picked up the script from the doctor. Later in the day, I took Dad for a late lunch. I mentioned what I'd done and he was totally cool with it. SO then I asked if while we were out for lunch, if we could go pick one out. He said, "Aw, you can do that honey." I really wanted him to go with me, and to get it done while I was out, but he really wasn't interested. However, he is allowing me to do so because I think he realizes that it's tiem.

Finally, this Friday, I went to the pharmacy to pick it out and they need one more document from the doctor which they will call and fax about. As soon as they get the last document, they will deliver the chair for free. Isn't that wild? And, it's all covered by insurance. I have a feeling I'll be taking him out and about at the end of this week. I can't wait for him to get in places and see what he's been missing the past couple months. God is good.

Chatty, I give you the credit. Your response moved me to take the bull by the horns. And it was oh so easy. Thank you.

#167668 - 12/14/08 09:28 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Good for you Dotsie! I know what you mean by needing a little shove to do the right thing. Are you able to get the wheelchair in your car allright?
I've been checking out those electric cars for my Mom. Gosh, those are expensive. The insurance doesn't cover that here, unless the patient has had a stroke or something. I want my Mom to stop driving, and thought of one of these cars as an alternative.

#167722 - 12/15/08 02:56 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

EW, I'm wondering why an electric car would work better for her... Can you tell me what you mean by an electric car?

#167847 - 12/16/08 08:31 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I meant an electric scooter. They call them cars here. confused

#167944 - 12/17/08 07:11 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Now I gotcha.

Still waiting to hear that they've gotten what they need from the doctor. Hello...is anyone home in that pharmacy?

#168010 - 12/18/08 01:38 AM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Maybe you should call The Scooter Store or Hoveround, Dotsie and get it done. They are fast and the service is impecable.

#168184 - 12/19/08 02:04 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Update, the wheelchair has been delivered. Yahoo. Can't wait to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone is holding their tongue with regards to eldercare, This is proof that we need to take the bull by the horns and step in.

#168264 - 12/19/08 09:38 PM Re: Wheelchairs? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie, now all your pop needs is one of those fancy mens hats, like golf hats to wear when tooling around town...

If taking the bull by its horns doesn't get fast enough action theres another part that when squeezed, will make them jump to your tune and fast too, LOL!!!!

Where theres a will, theres a way!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved