The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#165232 - 11/10/08 10:18 PM Daughter and family to Estonia?
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
Hi, All,
I have known for some time that my daughter and her husband were interviewing with International Schools for teaching jobs. Hubby is Ph.D. headmaster at a private school, and daughter is 5th grade teacher. They have had two video interviews with a school in Estonia, which is adjacent to Finland and also Russia. I am, at one point, excited for them, and at the other, fearful and feeling selfish, wanting to discourage them from moving so far away. Currently they are only a three hour drive from me here in WV.
I do recall, when I was young, that I longed to travel, see new places, work in new places, yet I allowed my parents' control to keep me put. I don't want to do this to my daughter.
I have done quite a bit of online research today of Estonia, and it seems not so bad. The monetary exchange rate is good for US dollars, and the general living conditions seem pleasant.
I would like your feedback for a grandma of twin 6 year olds who will be far away, not to mention my daughter with whom I have such a loving relationship.
Patty

#165345 - 11/12/08 01:02 AM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: ariadne54]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Adiadne54, I suppose if this is something your family really wants to do it is a good thing BUT I feel sorry that they are moving so far from you. We miss so much not being able to see our grandkids as often as we'd like to...May the good Lord keep them all safe and sound.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#165404 - 11/12/08 08:07 PM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
ari, how conflicting this must be for you since you felt held back at their age. If it's with the International Schools, couldn't it be more of a temporary thing? Do they have a home here, and if so, will they sell it? Is it possible this will help them get the travel bug out of their system, then return home? I hope so.

Friends who have grands out of state use a camera on their computer to stay in touch. Doesn't soemone here do that too? there are also camera phone now too. Fortunately, it's so much easier to stay connected and invovled from a distance.

I can certainly understand how you are feeling, but it seems to be happening to many boomers. We raised an adventurous group, didn't we?

#166194 - 11/22/08 01:04 PM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: Dotsie]
ariadne54 Offline

Thanks, Chatty and Dotsie, for the kind replies.
My daughter was sure they had the jobs in Estonia, but she called to say someone else had been hired. They are still set on finding work in the International Schools.

Yes, Dotsie, my daughter did mention that we could communicate by webcam. The world does seem smaller with all the technology.

On a bright note, they are coming here this week for Thanksgiving. It will be nice to see the twins. I also plan to talk to my daughter about the state of world affairs, and the economy, risks they may be taking by moving to a place such as India or China (other areas they have mentioned). The International Schools hire people for such locations, and only consider people already employed in their system for more desirable locations such as Western Europe, the UK, etc.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.
Love,
Patty

#166219 - 11/22/08 05:11 PM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: ariadne54]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: ariadne54
On a bright note, they are coming here this week for Thanksgiving. It will be nice to see the twins. I also plan to talk to my daughter about the state of world affairs, and the economy, risks they may be taking by moving to a place such as India or China (other areas they have mentioned).

Hope you enjoyed your time together. What type of risks are you concerned about in these areas of the world? (Living in the flood-prone, tornado-prone areas of certain southern U.S. strikes me as quite risky also.)

Instead share with them the excitement of discovery..they will want to be more in touch with you by telling you their stories.

#166623 - 11/28/08 09:04 PM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Ariadne54, I so hope you had fun with your family. I bet you all had so much to talk about having been separated awhile. `Beingf together would make for a wonderful holiday. How long are they staying? Will they remain for Christmas?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#166653 - 11/29/08 12:12 AM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: chatty lady]
ariadne54 Offline

Thanks, Orchid and Chatty...
I did get to see my daughter,her husband, and the 6 year old twins, Jack and Mickey. We went to my aunt's lake house which is a long drive from my home. I got to talk to them (trapped with me in the car during the 1.5 hour drive). They did not get the jobs in Estonia, and are now focused on other areas which are considering them. One was Mumbai(Bombay), India, and I watched my daughter's reaction as news of the terrorist bombings in Mumbai came across the TV screen as we sat in the living room awaiting dinner at my aunt's house. The place they are thinking most hopeful for employment now is Qatar...yes the Middle East.
So, on the way home, I told them my feelings, saying that I didn't want to be negative influence on their sense of adventure, but at the same time, there was this part of me that wanted to "roll around on the floor having a fit, and saying 'NO, NO!, you can't go!" I'm grateful for the honesty we can share, as I am the only parent with whom they are sharing their intentions to leave.
Maybe I can travel to wherever they end up locating.
Patty

#166654 - 11/29/08 12:26 AM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: ariadne54]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this. It helped put a different perspective on things. You're right, we need to think about the adventure and possibilities. It's a little hard though when it's your children and they're going to be on the other side of the world with grandchildren.

My son has a friend from Qatar and he's one of the nicest, generous, and thoughtful young men I've met. My son tells me that the rest of his family is the same way.

I hope you're happy that they are able to open up with you and share their hopes and dreams. That's got to make you feel good.

#166659 - 11/29/08 12:46 AM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: Dotsie]
ariadne54 Offline

Yes, Dotsie,
We laughed at the mental image of me rolling around on the floor having a fit! Daughter's husband said, "You can leave that to my dad!" And it is sure his parents will object strongly.
I did share with them an acknowledgment of wanting to have adventures while young, but being stuck in one place, primarily due to the control and influence of my parents.
They are a very solid couple, excellent parents, highly educated from having worked very hard. They both achieved advanced degrees, Mitch a Ph.D. and Lindsay the M.A. after the twins were born. I honestly don't know how they managed to do this.
I will support them in whatever they choose to do.
Love
Patty

#166709 - 11/30/08 01:17 PM Re: Daughter and family to Estonia? [Re: ariadne54]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Good for you Patty. Sounds like you all have a good time together. I look forward to hearing where they land with their little boys.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved