The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#163583 - 10/23/08 03:10 PM no exercise
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
As many of you know, I was a big walker and have been for years. But since Dad was in the hospital, I got out of the habit of walking. URG. I can't stand it, but I also can't motivate myself to get the heck out there and walk. I'm hoping that braodcasting my laziness here will move me to get up and do soemthing about it.

What are you doing for exercise these days?

#163587 - 10/23/08 03:40 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I say I've been waiting on the cooler climates to get out there and walk...They're here yet so far, all I've done is walk from the office to the refrigerator.

I LOVE to walk. Why is it so hard to make that first step? Literally?

#163595 - 10/23/08 04:57 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I'll tell ya, I've packed on another 10 lbs since my "greatest loser" competition with my hubby - - so much for keeping that up. But I've hit one of those numbers that you just don't want to hit - - you girls know what I mean - - and I'm back to work to try to get it off.

I can't seem to get motivated on my own, so I'm having my hubby drop me off at the gym on his way to work in the morning. I work out for about 30-45 minutes, then walk home. (1/2 mile) Just started this week and have been 3 times.

The problem is, when I get home I'm HUNGRY! So instead of grabbing something healthy, I'm grabbing junk. Have any of you had a bowl of ice cream at 9am? Probably not a good thing, huh?

#163607 - 10/23/08 06:57 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I still do my Jane Fonda video every day. I burned a DVD from the VHS because the VHS kept breaking. I've got the original audio tape too. I know you're suppose to mix it up and challenge other muscles- but- Jane in her pinked striped leotard and perky voice "Are you ready for the Work Out? I hope so." just gets me going. I'm serious. It cracks up my grown children since they've watched me since their birth. If anyone wants a copy, just let me know! I don't think Jane would object as long as there's no selling. smile

#163620 - 10/23/08 08:33 PM Re: no exercise [Re: underwearmaven]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

How funny, UW! I believe I have that same RECORD ALBUM! Yes, before videos came along, she actually made an exercise album. I don't even have a turntable anymore...

Congrats on your workout commitment!

#163623 - 10/23/08 09:24 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My Lord, that's an oldie but goodie. I have All the Richard Simmons, 'Dancing to the Oldies' tapes gathering dust somewhere around this house. I have come to the conclusion ands will admit it here before God and everyone:

I AM A FAT, LAZY, OLD LADY.

I lost 47 pounds since May, and was in high cotton. Then my neighbor came by one night wanting advice and brought a dozen Winchells donuts (my favorites) with her. We sat for hours talking, crying, laughing and eating, eating, eating. I have now fallen back into the old habit of eating too much, and have found 6 of those lost pounds. I am again trying to stay focused and KNOW if I would get off my lazy, rather ample derierre, it would come off so much faster. Walking is the easiest and cheapest thing in the world to do, so what the he// is wrong with me, and apparently some of you???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163640 - 10/23/08 11:35 PM Re: no exercise [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I have Jane Fonda too... and fuzzy headed Richard (a couple of his). Because of our setup, it's hard to use them. I quit using the treadmill while the drama was going 3-4 weeks ago. My heart wasn't in it, nor could I bring it back. Kind of off topic, but I need everyone sitting around the table shaking their fingers in my face - telling me to straighten up... meredith, that means you too! and eagle (when is she coming back?) and JJ, and Mama Red and PL, and dots, and EW, Jabber, Josie, dancer, chatty, DD, Anno, Anne327(have special questions for you), and, and, and! things are NOT getting better... one week of peace and BOOM things started back up - at the highest volume! OOOPS! back to topic... I met our soon to be new neighbor (the wife) today. Someone was on our properties without contacting us... they left behind pink and white flags. We "walked" the four+ acres, trying to determine what the guys were up to. That's the extent of my walking since a few nights after my Daddy passed. So need to get back with it - treadmill or otherwise. I'll dare all of you if you'll dare me.

#163649 - 10/24/08 03:48 AM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
OK, I heard my name. Gims & all you other blobs of middle-aged jello, quit yer lame excuses and get off your butts. Our (fill in the name of your favorites expanding body parts) do not get smaller by whining about it. So there!

The food thang:
I'm sitting here all saint-like eating slices of unadorned cucumber. Notice how I didn't mention the 1/4 lb. of raw pistachios I ate for lunch (along with a few other things.) If you're not sure about the large block letters between these lines, let Ms. M translate that into English: it's good that we eat the good foods, but if we eat copious quantities of the mega-calorie stuff, we're not going to lose weight unless our physical activity levels exceed the amounts ... of everyone who's posted so far COMBINED.

Now about exercise: "Waiting for it to cool off" is a good excuse. Us slugs in Cali use that excuse all summer, defined as those months which are not January-March. It was 96 today and yesterday. Allegedly "cooling" to upper 80s tomorrow. So here's the dealio -- we all have climate issues. Figure out what you can do that doesn't contain excuse words like "global warming" or "snow." In some places, if you're waiting for the weather to get good -- you'll have 15 minutes, and then you die.

Injuries: unfortunately, we all have them. Some are temporary and some permanent. Instead of tattooing "CAN'T DO" on your forehead, realistically assess what you CAN do -- and do it.

Exercise (deluxe edition): OK, here's the part where you're all dying to know, "What does Fearless Leader Ms. M do?" *ahem* *ahem* Truth time --
1. Tai chi class every week
2. gym once or twice a week. For the money I'm paying, it should be 17.
3. walking several miles ~3 times since Labor Day. That number should go up ...any minute now, as soon as it cools off.
4. floor exercise, back and abdominals, for 30 minutes 2-3 times a week.

Unless you were dancing while reading this, you've just gained, like, a zillion lbs. If you were eating while reading this -- make that 2 zillion.

love, hugs, and air kisses (because anything with air has zero calories, right?)
Da Drill Sergeant

Poet and essayist

#163650 - 10/24/08 04:19 AM Re: no exercise [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
EW blob sighing in,…aaah sighning in.

Meredith, you are doing a great job as a training coach. I got so scared I trembled off 100th of a pound.

Okey, 4 weeks ago I got big surgery done on my knee. The doctor said, keep that weight off the knee…and it would do you good if you lost weight. Hahaha…doctor needs a doctor. Well…4 weeks later and five pounds more, I can walk now. So this thread is coming just in time.

I swear, I will do at least an hour of sports every day. I swear I will huff and puff and git those pounds off! I swear not to eat anymore icecream…I’m crying now,……no more chocolate…..I feel faint,….and forget cake and cookies…hahaha…getting hysterical here.

Please keep us motivated Meredith. You have done a number on me so far. And Gims, if you work out so that you sweat, it sometimes helps to sweat the other stuff. Hang in there, hon. We are all here with you. Oh and since Dancing Dolphin confessed about her splurge with icecream…I have a confession too. The other day I threw a package of cookies away, and after two hours…dug them back out of the waste paper basket. No,…I did not just look at them. sick

#163653 - 10/24/08 04:46 AM Re: no exercise [Re: Edelweiss2]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It was calm and cool but I whimped yesterday and brought my bike onto the commuter train, instead of riding home. Why, because I just wanted to get abit faster to bank machine...and cafe nearby where I promptly had a coffee and apple Danish dessert. My justification...I already had a salmon and rice at restaurant goodbye luncheon for someone leaving. Then I went home and ate peach, 4 fresh prune plums, 4 rye crackers, handful of raisins..plus a slice of artisan potato bread and 2 more cups of tea. Keep in mind, yesterday i did a total of 20 min. of light cycling compared to 50 min.

Today, was better since I couldn't let down my partner who cycled over to my bike locker and waited for me to get off commuter train.. So we did cycle in the dark..

In November, I don't tend to cycle after work...higher probability of black ice....in the night dark.

I gave away my Jane Fonda exercise book to a sister 6 years ago. It's replaced by a pilates book..which occasionally is consulted. whistle Time to do some of these simple maneouvres on floor..and I literally don't sweat. otherwise I will get a backache later..

#163708 - 10/24/08 09:55 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Couple things. I have great news to report. At one time yesterday, I peeked in and read a couple posts, but didn't have time to respond., but I saw DD's post about getting her hubby to drop her off at the gym on his way to work. I thought...I could do that. I need something or someone to get me going. So, this morning, hubby dropped me off at the gym. How about it. I was thinking of you DD. I did the cross-trainer for 20 minutes, then sat my butt on a bike with my book and rode for a half hour. Then I walked home with a gorgeous sky in the east that was blue and pink with shimmering patches of white shining through. It was gorgeous. Thanks DD for getting me back in the saddle. This will be my new plan for the winter months.

underwear, Jane Fonda? Boy does that take me back. I'll never forget doing her tape in our living room and hubby called from work. I was so worn out. I think it's the only time he's heard me drop the F bomb. When he asked how I was, I said, "I'm doing the effin' Jane Fonda tape." We still laugh about it. That was some dang workout. I'm so impressed that you can still do it! You go girl.

gims, I'm double daring you! You'll feel so much better. Tomorrow you must repost in that you did some sort of exercise today. Ya hear me?

Meredith, thanks for the kick in the butt. I should print it and put it on the fridge.

And just so DD doesn't feel bad about eating ice cream. Last night after announcing to Ross that I was heading out with him in the morning, I ate the rest of a pint of ice cream that had been here for a few weeks. Are you ready for this. Each serving (1/4 cup) was 400 calories. I polished her off. Figured it to be about a THOUSAND calories in that teeny thing. I ate it right from the carton and it tasted so good. It was my grand finale! We laughed as I downed it. It was hysterical.

EW, what sport did you do for an hour? And sailing with your hubby in charge of the sails doesn't count!

orchid, I'm with you on doing floor exercises. WHile the bike and cross-trainer are good, they don't stretch you out, which always feels so good to me.

Report in ladies.

#163710 - 10/24/08 10:26 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Great post, Dotsie! I must confess, I didn't go in today. It was the one day of the month where my period is too heavy to go anywhere, you know what I mean. But I'll be back on track next week! Thinking about going every M-T, Th-F, and have Wednesday and the weekends off.

The only thing that might throw me off is Jury Duty. I'm supposed to call on Tuesday night to see if I have to appear on Wednesday. Hope not...

Now, anyone know a good hypnotist that will help me stop my cravings for sweets? By the way Dotsie, a pint of ice cream NEVER lasts a few weeks in our house!

#163724 - 10/25/08 04:34 AM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Go go Dotsie! I need my Hubby to drop me off somewhere, anywhere too!

We got a tread mill in the cellar. Then I stretch with elastic bands. When we play golf for three hours, I don't do the other stuff. Fast walking is another thing I do for an hour.

DD, look forward to the day when that plague is over with! It's one of the best things about getting older!

Off to stretching!

#163740 - 10/25/08 11:52 AM Re: no exercise [Re: Edelweiss2]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dotsie -- do you still go to Curves? Do you like it? I've been going to Ballys which used to be something else before they bought it -- my membership is only about $150 per year, so you can't beat that. I try to go about 3x per week and walk the treadmill for 40 minutes at 4.2 mph. I get my best reading done there -- uninterrupted. And I don't believe anyone who says you can't walk and read at the same time because your workout suffers. Pooh! Then I do weight machines for another 20-30 min. Then go out the door to Trader Joe's and buy groceries!

Edited by DJ (10/27/08 11:24 AM)

#163772 - 10/25/08 09:37 PM Re: no exercise [Re: DJ]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Well, since I got the stitches from my surgery out Thursday, I've been back on the treadmill twice, albeit only for about 6 or 7 minutes each. But I'm doing it about 3 times a day so far. Now I'm anxious to get it built up to more minutes. But it's a start for me.

I'm with all of you. Just sitting here at the keyboard surely does not cause any weight loss except maybe in our fingers. So here we all go.
www.tidedancer.com

#163789 - 10/26/08 03:32 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Sandpiper]
orchid Offline

It's a beautiful fall day today..I'm heading out on the bike.

yesterday did 42 kms...on bike and it was gorgeous out there, despite a headwind for 1/3 of trip..just makes a person work abit harder on the bike. But can't complain with all the gorgeous leaf colour against the blue skies.

It's weather like this that it feels like fall' in love with cycling all over again. And also feels like it's the best sport to enjoy Nature's beauty. You're never bored and you go faster, see more around you.

#163797 - 10/26/08 04:31 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Your description made me want to hop on my bike.
I like hilly paths, so I can rest inbetween when going down hill.

Germany has beautiful bike trails too. Has your partner told you that? So we have a bike rack on our car, and like to try new places. Do you usually just take off from where you live?

#163809 - 10/26/08 08:49 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Orchid -- I biked 25 miles today in a strong headwind. At first I was not going to go out because I hiked 11 miles yesterday, but decided to give it a try. In spite of having to work a little harder, I found myself "smiling" several times because I felt so lucky to be out there. We are having a beautiful Ozark fall here in Arkansas. I agree with you that cycling is never boring.

As for the rest of my exercise program, I try to go to the gym twice a week and spend 30-40 minutes on weights and various resistance machines. This maintains my upper-body strength needed for hiking because a lot of what we do is off-trail with lots of climbing and pulling up on ledges,boulders, trees, etc.

#163810 - 10/26/08 09:59 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Edelweiss2]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Edelweiss2
Germany has beautiful bike trails too. Has your partner told you that? So we have a bike rack on our car, and like to try new places. Do you usually just take off from where you live?

I've heard nothing but great things about Germany's bike paths, both from North American cycling tourists and..from Germans themselves who are currently working on our construction project here in Vancouver area. He and another guy (one of the business partners) were in Europe for 1 month this past spring...specifically to look at cycling facilities, talk to local urban planners and cycling adovocates in Barcelona, Copenhagen, (they cycled across the bridge to Malmo in Sweden for a few hrs. in that country), Paris, Lyons. He went to Germany on his own since he had relatives of visit. But he cycled on a dedicated bike path ..which I believe runs from Basel, Switzerland to near the French border, close to Strasbourg. He didn't have enough time to do the whole route. But he was cycling on the path for about 5 days which brought him close to the Rhine. He was cycling with his belongings in his front and back panniers. He saw CHILDREN cycling with their loaded bike panniers on trips. From ages 10 yrs. and up. I asked some Germans at work about this. They confirmed, yes, it is not unusual. It would be HIGHLY unusual to see children enaging in this type of cycling in North America.

He was inspired by what he saw in terms of cycling facilities and cycling lifestyle in places that he chose to visit in Europe this year. So much that his company features photos of cycling facilities and cyclists (without helmets, I guess that's the culture there) at his company's website. Rolled out late this spring: http://thirdwavecycling.com/

He didn't realize it until later that they managed to photograph a Muslim woman cycling. yes!!!!!! Cycling IS freedom for women...as the early U.S. women suffragettes acknowledged on the miracle of the bike..

Sorry, got off track here. wink Edelweiss, sometimes the best thing is to bike in a nice, calm area that you are already with. Just dress comfortably and make sure your bike fits you. A bike store would be able to tell you.. I'll post of photo of his elsewhere..

Cyclingal, you are persistent about keeping fit. Kudos. I haven't gotten into weightlifting yet...

Methinks for anyone, who wonders, if they love their own sport/type of exercise, a good sign, is if you experience the sudden high moment while doing the sport, that "YES", this is the right sport for me, I want to do this because xxxxxxx, then you've fallen in love for the right thing for yourself.

#163849 - 10/27/08 03:59 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

EW, good for you for stretching. How do you like those elastic bands? I've only used them in PT. THat's what they remind me of so I'm not likely to use them. ROtten memories. Ha.

DD, you will be so glad when you don't have to worry about that any more. EW, those days are over for me too.

DJ, I no longer go to Curves. I was in such a habit of doing that several years ago. But then my son got his license and started taking himself to school and I got out of the habit. I used to drop him off and go right to Curves. That's why I think this idea of Ross dropping me off in the morning is great. I've been Friday, Saturday and Monday. Plan on going Monday thru Friday, unless I just don't feel like it one day. Then I'd still get in four days.

DJ, I can picture where you do all of that. It's right around the corner from me. Have you found the weights to be helpful? I keep hearing I need to do that.

sandpiper, don't do too much too soon. Take it slow. I don't want you having complications from your surgery.

You bikers and hikers are such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your love of the great outdoors with us. I appreciate it so much. Makes me want to get out there and walk.

#163855 - 10/27/08 04:09 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Went to the gym again. One day at a time....

Spent about 25 minutes on weights/stretching, 15 minutes on the eliptical, and 10 minutes walking home.

Gotta keep it going!

#163856 - 10/27/08 04:17 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

DD, you're the one that got me motivated. I can't thank you enough. Let's hope this lasts.

Did someone work with you in the beginning so you knew how to set the weights? Right now I'm doing the cross trainer and the bike, but need to drop one of those and do weights. I just haven't signed up with one of the trainers for a demo yet.

#163857 - 10/27/08 05:22 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I used to go to the gym a lot and that's when I was in the best shape of my life. Weight training really works for me if I can keep it up. Course, that was BEFORE I turned 50 - not sure how my body will react now. It should work, but may take longer.

The mistake I see too many women making in the gym (the expert speaks!) is that they don't lift enough weight. They just put the setting on the lowest possible amount and do about 20 repetitions with ease. That's not going to do you any good.

I recommend putting it on a weight setting that you can do with a little effort for the first few reps and it gets a little harder and pretty hard by the end of 12-15 reps. Do that 3 times, with 30 second rest in between.

I don't have the patience to rest inbetween, so I use two machines at once. I'll do my reps on one, then switch to another, then back again, until I've done 15 reps 3 times on each machine.

I'm trying to work my upper body one day, and my lower body the next.

Good luck!!

#163865 - 10/27/08 07:07 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Originally Posted By: Dancing Dolphin
Course, that was BEFORE I turned 50 - not sure how my body will react now. It should work, but may take longer.

Oooooo...oooooo....I can answer that one! Pick ME! Pick ME! <Queen frantically waving hand in air, is ignored so she answers anyway>

Your body will react as if you have been hit by a 2 x 4. And that's just the second day....wait till day three. OMG. By then, a 2 x 4 would be welcomed relief.

#163868 - 10/27/08 07:35 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
cyclinggal Offline

You are absolutely right DD. A lot of women think that if they use heavier weight settings, they will "bulk up" with muscle. Not so. When I increase my weight settings, I sometimes do one or two sets of 12 reps each at the higher setting and if I feel I am really pushing it, I will do the last set at a lower setting until I get used to the heavier weight settings. Of course, in the beginning, there is nothing wrong with doing 8-10 reps for each set and maybe only 2 sets until one becomes more physically fit. I know several people who tried to do too much too soon and got discouraged and quit. It is a slow process. I treat my exercise time just like any other obligation -- I pencil it in on my calender each week because I feel that keeping healthy is a top priority for me, and I do not feel well mentally or physically if I don't exercise at least 5 times per week. The more I do it, the more rewarding it becomes. I also give myself permission to be BAD and not feel guilty about it. If I want to skip a day of exercise and eat a bowl of ice cream, I just do it.

#163870 - 10/27/08 07:45 PM Re: no exercise [Re: cyclinggal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

JJ, you made me laugh out loud! Girl, you're crazy and fun!

Cyclinggal, it's just so hard for me to get into a routine since I have no one to exercise with and I tend to wimp out if I'm on my own. That's why I'm catching a ride to the gym each morning with hubby, who's on his way to work.

JJ, I've been out the door at 6:45 a.m. lately - is that also a painful thing to envision, those early morning hours of dawn?? No, not Dawn from the grocery store, DAWN, as in CRACK of DAWN, as in EARLY. No not Earl!!! EARLY MORNING. Aw, what's the use...

#163875 - 10/27/08 10:01 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Okay, let me get this straight....you've been going out with Dawn and Earl and they're on crack?

Girl, you have GOT to get new friends. Try Mr. Coffee. He's good company in the mornings...

#163877 - 10/27/08 10:30 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
cyclinggal Offline

DD -- I know it is more fun when you have someone to exercise with. But I have found that when I go to the gym regularly I see the same people and we chat about our week, etc. I know that I will usually see someone there I know. If I went 4-5 days a week, I am sure I would get to know some others as well. You could always invite someone to join you in a walk after you finish with the gym.

#163941 - 10/28/08 05:02 PM Re: no exercise [Re: cyclinggal]
gims Offline

I'd like to introduce you all to an alternative exercise system, developed by a high school classmate.
Here's a link (as you can see, there's a way to find a location near you): SSZ and here's another link: SSZ 2 (short video on homepage, so might take a minute for page to start-up)
One of the founder's family members (there are lots of them) has the location in my area. I've left word with him about checking into the program. I'd like to get my mom started, also, if it's possible.

Edited by gims (10/28/08 05:14 PM)

#163943 - 10/28/08 05:29 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Gims, I was going to check it out, but after waiting a few minutes for the video to come up, I got tired of waiting.

#163993 - 10/29/08 05:13 AM Re: no exercise [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

SSZ 2 < You can try this one, if you're interested. The method is slow vs. quantity. I didn't get a return call today. I'm interested in it for rehab, as well as fitness, with no trouble... in the video, the client said she ate as usual and still lost weight. Soon as I get a call, I'll let those interested know the estimated cost... I'm assuming it will be close to the cost of having a personal trainer, because according to the info, it's a one-on-one with no one else around.
I've not seen this classmate since the year before I graduated... he was a year ahead of me. The only things we had in common were big families (both having 8 kids), good grades and playing the trumpet. The locations are franchises, so he doesn't run them... he just developed the method.

#164283 - 11/01/08 12:12 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I watched their latest commercial. I can't imagine only two, 20 minute workouts a week. That's amazing and hard to believe, but people say it works. Please tell us more as you learn.

Since Monday, I've been to the gym four out of six days. I wish I could say I'm lovin' it, but I'm not.

I appreciated the comments about weights. When I did them (ages ago) I did low weights with more reps. I thought that's what we should do. I'm going to make an appt. with one of the gym rats so they can get my program set up with the weights. I'll let you know what they say about weights.

#164291 - 11/01/08 03:26 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I've made it to the gym three times a week for the past two weeks. You know, I read a book once about doing the weights really slow like that Slow-Zone. I've tried it (briefly) and you can really feel it more. When you move the weights faster, you get help from gravity going up and down, etc. With the slower pace (10 seconds positive, 10 seconds negative) you can feel the burn much more.

Maybe I'll try that...

Dotsie, I'm bored out of my mind at the gym. Why can't some of you gals live HERE!?

#164338 - 11/02/08 03:31 AM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

Curious to know Dotsie, if you plan to pursue rowing again in the spring. How did you find this sport after all?

I cycled partially from work this past Mon. and Tues. But didn't do anyting until today. I was sluggish and sore. I must have been tense from various things at work.So we cycled a familiar route this morning..for 2 hrs. Then afterwards on bike, went grocery shopping. By then, I'm fine. It's pushing oneself abit through and past initial soreness, sluggishness, motivation and all that gunk. I distracted myself by looking at the beautiful fall colours as we cycled by. Also I was driven to beat the rain sprinkles that were starting up towards the end. There is nothing like natural distractions to make one plug away at exercise.

At the end of ride, I tend to feel reborn...and alive. Important that whatever exercise you choose to do, that you like it in general..so that times of body "gunkiness" can be dealt with better.

#164351 - 11/02/08 04:23 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
gims Offline

I'm currently reading a book about exercise and its benefits to the brain and learning. I'd like to share a lengthy excerpt, but it will take some time to type out, unless I share it by scanning the pages. It'd be nice if the 'attachment' feature for the forums was turned on, so I could attach it and not have it in multiple posts... Dots and/or JJ, think that's possible? It's awfully good information!

#164355 - 11/02/08 05:27 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I doubt it, but whatever Dotsie says, goes....reason? VIRUS...and the possibility that someone's offering may contain one; unknown to them, of course.

But I would be interested in hearing what you've learned.

Is it that long? If so, you might consider paraphrasing each paragraph. Just a thought.

#164377 - 11/02/08 11:44 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

I need to get a better understanding of viruses and how they can be 'caught'... no need to take the step of turning it on ... don't want to bring any harm to this place - or any other, for that matter.
I'm typing it up in WORD... if I were to try and recap it, I might miss key points. Heck, it might not even be interesting to anyone else --- I love reading about the brain so much, I fell into this read really easily...
I'll just say, if anyone wishes to read it, I'll email it to them --- if they'll give me their email address. I'm typing the excerpt (a full chapter) to send to my nurse sister, so I'll have it in WORD anyway.
Thanks again, JJ.

#164383 - 11/03/08 12:25 AM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Gims, if you email it to me, I can turn it into a pdf document and I can post a link to view it elsewhere. If interested, PM me for my email address.

#164435 - 11/03/08 04:28 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

DD, I wish you lived here. I'm totally bored at the gym too, and that's with TVs and my occasional book or magazine. Went this morming and did less than I've done thus far. Did 25 minutes on the cross trainer and only five minutes on the bike. I got bored and left while telling myself I'd squeeze in a little walk later to make up for what I missed.

orchid, I love reading about what your exercise does for you. It's very encouraging. I wnat to get back to that place.

Here's a link to the rowing club:
http://www.baltimorerowing.org/

I wish it was closer to home. My childhood, neighborhood friend that I've known since I was in second grade promised me that when her kids leave home (they're younger than mine) she'd commit to doing the rowing with me. I can't wiat. It will be a great way to see her. We both love the great outdoors and want to spend more time outside as we mature. How do you like the way I said mature and not age?

gims, sorry but I've been advised not to turn that on for the very reason jawjaw listed.

#164439 - 11/03/08 04:40 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Dots, (not a problem on the attachment feature - I fully understand) I hope DD can provide us a link to the piece. Some of it might motivate us all to exercise more for a multitude of reasons... also, you might want to read other chapters in the book... it includes information about how exercise can help ADHD. One paragraph in chapter three shocked me into accepting something that I'm exposed to regularly... gave sense to a cycle, which I've always (in the past) labeled questionable.

#164500 - 11/04/08 02:52 AM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

boredom sets in when you're doing the same-old same-old of something you don't like much to begin with. Mixing up your workouts or activities is a must to keep yourself motivated.

I know I've said a lot of this before, but I'll reiterate if it may help.

We have fast-twitch muscles and slow-twitch muscles. They're often right alongside each other, like 2 parts of the same larger muscle.

Fast-twitch helps us do an activity rapidly (like a sprinter) and slow-twitch helps in endurance. The difference in weight training is the same -- slow repetitions give us endurance and less muscle bulk (not that most women will bulk up much, regardless) and fast-twitch enables us to do a stronger amount but of less duration.

both are good to have, and we're often genetically pre-disposed to have more of one or the other. (I'm a slow-twitch kind of gal *ahem*) It's also a good idea to switch-your-twitch every other week or so in weight training.

fast: lift weights quickly, 12 repetitions. do 3 sets.
slow: 8 slow reps, with as much weight as you can handle for the duration. 2 sets.

Your weight for slow reps will be 25-35% lighter than the fast ones. If it feels too light or easy, then you're wasting your time. If you never get sore, you're wasting your time. If you can do it while gabbing away, you're wasting your time.

Got to put up dinner. More soon...

Poet and essayist

#164504 - 11/04/08 03:20 AM Re: no exercise [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I was an exercise teacher & weight trainer for 7 years. I can tell you all the technical stuff here. However for beginners, it's absolutely imperative to have someone watch you and make sure your form is right.

You don't get injured by using too much weight. If your form is perfect, it's almost impossible to use too much weight, because your body won't lift it. Injuries are caused by bad form and overuse (more on that later.) So when the weight feels too heavy, people strain and throw assorted body parts out of whack. Pushing is good. Straining is bad.

Overuse -- a mature adult (that would be us, ladies!) takes 3 days for a properly-used muscle to heal correctly. If you're still sore, it's not healed yet and you need to wait another day. Repetitive injuries in any sports are caused by over-using a muscle that isn't completely healed. I had a torn left front deltoid that took 18 months to heal because I do that lifting every week for my craft display, once in the morning and again to pack up.

back to dinner prep...

Poet and essayist

#164508 - 11/04/08 03:52 AM Re: no exercise [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

for people who want to go to the gym less times -- do a full body workout twice a week. If you can get in more often but want shorter workouts, here's a suggested schedule:
Monday -- lower body (legs, back)
Tuesday -- upper body
Wednesday -- something aerobic, abdominals & more stretching
Thursday -- repeat

Heavy gardening counts as a workout. Ditto dancing, or taking brisk walks with your dog.

Bad signs: dizziness, trouble breathing, pain, cramps. If you get any of these, STOP. Immediately. You can resume if you feel OK in a few minutes. If the problem continues, your workout is done.

Any questions?

Poet and essayist

#164512 - 11/04/08 04:34 AM Re: no exercise [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

wow... meredith, thanks!

#164570 - 11/04/08 09:19 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Okay, here's a link to Gims' Exercise document - it's in .pdf format:

http://www.steril-aire.com/steril-zone/bws/spark.pdf

It's 10 pages long, but I printed it out and will read it in the evening during commercials. Looks very interesting - thanks Gims!

#164596 - 11/04/08 11:29 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

And, thank you, DD... this info is important, as well as interesting... because, as we age, our brains shrink and die off, cell after cell - I guess, that is, if we don't take precautions, learn to deal with stress (the chapter I'm reading now), eat right, and exercise (exercise and its effect on the brain - the whole point of the book - the book explains it so well).
thanks again, DD

#164751 - 11/05/08 08:17 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well before anymore brain cells die off, I am going to run errands today and I do mean run, lots to do! Yet here I sit in my favorite place on earth, BWS Forum...

Bad me, I had better get my butt in gear or nothing will get done...

#164994 - 11/08/08 03:08 PM Re: no exercise [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, you'll be happy to know that I had the trainer at the gym teach me how to use the machines. Now I'm all signed up with the computer (no more carrying a card around and recording, the computer keeps track of everything) and ready to get started. Meredith, he went through the perfect form for every machine. He's in his 70s and works five days a week. What made you stop body building?

#165025 - 11/08/08 10:29 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Can you give us a run-down of the machines you will be using, and in what order and time allotment, dots? I'm excited for you.

I finally received a call back from the owner of the facility I spoke of up a post or two. He wants me to make an appointment to come in to check out the set-up and have a free session. No one will be around the equipment but me and him, as this type of 'gym' is a one at a time. He told me of a cardiac patient who is on his 5th week of the program, and from what he claims, the patient/client feels better than he did before he started having noticeable heart trouble. He also said the program may not be good for my aunt, who had a stroke - the main reason I contacted him - and another reason he wants me to come by and evaluate the set-up.

#165031 - 11/08/08 11:00 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Meredith that is the main reason why I haven't bothered to do strength training with weights/machines: injury because of wrong form.

I was hoping a sister who visited me recently would show me, but she herself was recovering from a upper back muscle pull ...I think it was from one of her stretches. Not sure.

Anyway, today I went for a shorter bike ride due to rain that started up. Hadn't been on bike in last 5 days..and I could feel it already. Whereas he took off from me 5 kms. later and went on a longer route. Shrug.

However I made sure I included 1 long hill (about 10 street blocks in distance) in my shortened ride, to give myself true fitness riding. It's a 9-10% grade hill, going up. Normally that's a sign of a real fitness ride for me...to include at least 1 hill or so for real cardio pumping. smile

#165228 - 11/10/08 09:33 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dotsie, I never was a body builder per se, more into strength (function) than appearances. And I still work out but just don't have the time I'd like, in between everything else I do.

What stopped was my exercise class. The room where we met for free as a non-profit, started charging too much and I wanted the class to be free. It originally took 2 months to find a free facility, and I didn't feel like going through that again. Also, if I moved out of the area, my current class wouldn't be able to attend.

Here's an idea -- at the next Boomer getaway (if I can attend!! -- and if my back is co-operating) I can teach basic weight training to all who are interested. Weight room not required! We'd just need a large flat open space (room or park) and maybe 2 hours so I could work with everyone.

Poet and essayist

#169024 - 12/26/08 11:19 PM Re: no exercise [Re: orchid]
Heartstrong Offline

Loc: NJ
Well if I don't get myself to the gym I find I cannot trust myself to exercise at home. But I do recommend the days you are not able to do the recommended 30 minutes of exercise (can be broken down into two 15 minutes bouts) to get a pedometer and set a goal of walking 10,000 steps each day. The 10,000 step program was issued by the US surgeon general several years ago for all adults - everything counts so you put the pedometer on first thing in the morning and wear it all day until you're ready to go to bed. Try to increase your activity level as much as possible (use stairs instead of elevator, park car further away, etc...)
Heart Healthy Blog http://heartstrong.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/HEARTSTRONG1

#169057 - 12/27/08 01:41 AM Re: no exercise [Re: Heartstrong]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

If I don't do some exercise this coming 2009 then I'll deserve any health issues that come from my not! Watch our world here I come barbells in hand, yuk! I am considering buying a new mountain bike but need something for these flabby wings of mine. Hell in a stiff wind I can almost fly...

#169176 - 12/28/08 03:18 PM Re: no exercise [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I do good until the Holidays. Cookies, candy, cheese and nuts
get me everytime. I love chocolate covered cherries, cashews,
and sugar cookies. Celebrating is hard on a gal.

#169204 - 12/28/08 07:41 PM Re: no exercise [Re: chatty lady]
cyclinggal Offline

Chatty Lady -- your post about your wings and almost flying put a big smile on my face. No matter how much weight training I do, I still have that jiggly thing on the underside of my arms. Oh well, time to get the exercise clothes on and get my butt to the gym. Did 60 minutes of cardio yesterday, so today will do 30 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weights and the resistance machines.

#169334 - 12/29/08 03:00 PM Re: no exercise [Re: cyclinggal]
jabber Offline

cyclinggal,
You mentioned the jiggly thing on underside of arms. Does anyone
know how to get rid of that???? I exercise those underarm
muscles 200 times a day, 5 days a week and flabby part still
jiggles.

#169420 - 12/30/08 02:57 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Anybody know how to get rid of the underarm jiggles?

#169425 - 12/30/08 03:32 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Use one weight, lift your arms straight up over your head, holding the weight with both hands. Lower the weight behin the head and raise it up again. Repeat 5 times. Do this two or three times a day, every other day.

If you are into yoga, there are some positions that work well for under arms wiggles, too.

And, good luck. Genes are playing a part, too.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#169428 - 12/30/08 03:55 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Reading these posts almost makes me wnat to run to the Y. Almost, but not quite. I haven't been in over three weeks. DId well for a month, but then fell off again with holiday preps. That's my excuse. Just htis morning I thought, hmmm, new year - maybe an exercise resolution is in place. I feel sooo much better when I'm in some kind of exercise pattern.

Anno, good description. I can picture that exercise. My daughter does it with her trainer. I did it with her too, but only had her come twice, then decided it was way too tough, and I'd rather get my exercise at the Y where it's already paid for.

#169553 - 12/31/08 03:13 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Thank you Anno. I exercise (do calisthenics) five days a week.
But in that area I didn't seem to be making any progress.
I'm grateful to know what to do. Thanks again! I will start doing as you described! Prayers and blessings,

Dotsie,
If you've paid for the Y, you'd better get there, girl!

Edited by jabber (12/31/08 03:14 PM)

#169741 - 01/02/09 02:34 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Anno,
I started that exercise this morning. I noticed immediate improvement. Thanks again.

#169748 - 01/02/09 03:51 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

jabber, I've been once in three days. Hoping to increase that number.

#169769 - 01/02/09 08:15 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Great, Dotsie. I feel more energized when I exercise. Hope you do, too.

#169783 - 01/02/09 09:50 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jabber]
Kathi Casey Offline

Loc: East Coast
Hello ladies!
Glad to hear you guys are starting to work out again - every little bit helps - if you start with small steps, you're more likely to stick with it!
Another exercise that helps the upper arm flab is push-ups - AND you can try taking 3 - 5 minutes several times a day to do as many push-ups as you can to not only help the arms but the latest science shows that doing something difficult like this for a few mintues every so often that raises your heart rate and helps remove the spare tire around our middles!
Italian Cookies are my downfall and there were plenty around in the last few weeks so I'm trying to do more push-ups (and crunches and running up stairs...) myself right now.

#169785 - 01/02/09 09:55 PM Re: no exercise [Re: jabber]
Lani Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Dotsie, your initial post cracks me up: "broadcasting your laziness" - can be a good motivational tool!

You know, the more experienced and further on in years I get, more and more I want short, sweet, and to the point when it comes to working out. I make it a point to really challenge myself during "workouts", which makes them come in in about 37 minutes total (true story!) just 3 times a week. Then, my daily walks with my husband to the lake out back are fun, leisurely, and great activity but not "workout".

So, to be specific - I do Super Sets with free weights and body weight followed by intervals on my air bike. I work out at home with a pair of dumbbells, my body weight, and the bike. I also do T-Tapp about once a week to keep my form and alignment focused.

This routine has been incredibly successful for me, along with a couple of other tricks. AND you might be interested (and encouraged!) to know that long, slow distance cardio is NOT the best investment of your time when looking to optimize body composition - that's where the intervals "win" in my opinion, hands down.

It can be fun to mix it up when it comes to "boredom" with workouts, yet I find with something as concise as I've managed to put together, it's over before I know it, body shaping results are amazing, I sleep better, and I never get tired of feeling trim and energetic, that's for sure!

Hope it's going better for you!

Lani

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved