The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#163855 - 10/27/08 04:09 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Went to the gym again. One day at a time....

Spent about 25 minutes on weights/stretching, 15 minutes on the eliptical, and 10 minutes walking home.

Gotta keep it going!

#163856 - 10/27/08 04:17 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DD, you're the one that got me motivated. I can't thank you enough. Let's hope this lasts.

Did someone work with you in the beginning so you knew how to set the weights? Right now I'm doing the cross trainer and the bike, but need to drop one of those and do weights. I just haven't signed up with one of the trainers for a demo yet.

#163857 - 10/27/08 05:22 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I used to go to the gym a lot and that's when I was in the best shape of my life. Weight training really works for me if I can keep it up. Course, that was BEFORE I turned 50 - not sure how my body will react now. It should work, but may take longer.

The mistake I see too many women making in the gym (the expert speaks!) is that they don't lift enough weight. They just put the setting on the lowest possible amount and do about 20 repetitions with ease. That's not going to do you any good.

I recommend putting it on a weight setting that you can do with a little effort for the first few reps and it gets a little harder and pretty hard by the end of 12-15 reps. Do that 3 times, with 30 second rest in between.

I don't have the patience to rest inbetween, so I use two machines at once. I'll do my reps on one, then switch to another, then back again, until I've done 15 reps 3 times on each machine.

I'm trying to work my upper body one day, and my lower body the next.

Good luck!!

#163865 - 10/27/08 07:07 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Dancing Dolphin
Course, that was BEFORE I turned 50 - not sure how my body will react now. It should work, but may take longer.

Oooooo...oooooo....I can answer that one! Pick ME! Pick ME! <Queen frantically waving hand in air, is ignored so she answers anyway>

Your body will react as if you have been hit by a 2 x 4. And that's just the second day....wait till day three. OMG. By then, a 2 x 4 would be welcomed relief.

#163868 - 10/27/08 07:35 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
You are absolutely right DD. A lot of women think that if they use heavier weight settings, they will "bulk up" with muscle. Not so. When I increase my weight settings, I sometimes do one or two sets of 12 reps each at the higher setting and if I feel I am really pushing it, I will do the last set at a lower setting until I get used to the heavier weight settings. Of course, in the beginning, there is nothing wrong with doing 8-10 reps for each set and maybe only 2 sets until one becomes more physically fit. I know several people who tried to do too much too soon and got discouraged and quit. It is a slow process. I treat my exercise time just like any other obligation -- I pencil it in on my calender each week because I feel that keeping healthy is a top priority for me, and I do not feel well mentally or physically if I don't exercise at least 5 times per week. The more I do it, the more rewarding it becomes. I also give myself permission to be BAD and not feel guilty about it. If I want to skip a day of exercise and eat a bowl of ice cream, I just do it.

#163870 - 10/27/08 07:45 PM Re: no exercise [Re: cyclinggal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

JJ, you made me laugh out loud! Girl, you're crazy and fun!

Cyclinggal, it's just so hard for me to get into a routine since I have no one to exercise with and I tend to wimp out if I'm on my own. That's why I'm catching a ride to the gym each morning with hubby, who's on his way to work.

JJ, I've been out the door at 6:45 a.m. lately - is that also a painful thing to envision, those early morning hours of dawn?? No, not Dawn from the grocery store, DAWN, as in CRACK of DAWN, as in EARLY. No not Earl!!! EARLY MORNING. Aw, what's the use...

#163875 - 10/27/08 10:01 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Okay, let me get this straight....you've been going out with Dawn and Earl and they're on crack?

Girl, you have GOT to get new friends. Try Mr. Coffee. He's good company in the mornings...

#163877 - 10/27/08 10:30 PM Re: no exercise [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
DD -- I know it is more fun when you have someone to exercise with. But I have found that when I go to the gym regularly I see the same people and we chat about our week, etc. I know that I will usually see someone there I know. If I went 4-5 days a week, I am sure I would get to know some others as well. You could always invite someone to join you in a walk after you finish with the gym.

#163941 - 10/28/08 05:02 PM Re: no exercise [Re: cyclinggal]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I'd like to introduce you all to an alternative exercise system, developed by a high school classmate.
Here's a link (as you can see, there's a way to find a location near you): SSZ and here's another link: SSZ 2 (short video on homepage, so might take a minute for page to start-up)
One of the founder's family members (there are lots of them) has the location in my area. I've left word with him about checking into the program. I'd like to get my mom started, also, if it's possible.

Edited by gims (10/28/08 05:14 PM)

#163943 - 10/28/08 05:29 PM Re: no exercise [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Gims, I was going to check it out, but after waiting a few minutes for the video to come up, I got tired of waiting.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved