The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 206 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#16250 - 04/18/04 08:20 PM Diet soda
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Those of you who are doing the BWS diet know I drink my share of diet soda. [Roll Eyes]

A friend recently told me that for every 8 ounces of diet soda you drink, you need to drink 64 ounces of water to rid your body of the poisins. [Mad] I must be ready to blow!

Not only do I drink diet, I drink caffeine free, diet. A friend at a dinner once asked me, "Well, if it's diet and caffeine free, what are you drinking it for?"

I drink it because of the sweet taste, it has no calories, and it has no caffeine.
We got hooked on it because my husband is a diabetic and it was something he could have.

We have heard for years that it's bad for us. It has to do with the aspertame getting hot while the products sit in factories, trucks and store shelves.

Another bad habit we have to break.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#16251 - 04/18/04 09:13 PM Re: Diet soda
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I too am hooked on diet drinks. Water is good for you I suppose, but like all other things good for you, it's BORING.
I've recently come across something that is kind of like diet soda, in that it has fizz and no calories, but it also has no sodium which other diet soda's are loaded with. As you probably know sodium causes water retention and muscle weakness which means when you die from the aspartame, you'll be limp and bloated. Not good.

Anyway, I've been drinking Clear America from Walmart. It looks like water and only has a slight sweet fruity taste so I think I'm doing a good thing for my body despite the fact that it is also loaded with aspartame which I understand will eventually kill you. (Also, like the name says, Clear Americal is "clear." Looks just like water so you can carry it around like those health nuts who carry bottled water every where they go.
The aspartame may be killing you, but at least you'll look cool) [Smile]

And like the words to that Bob Gibson/Shel Silverstein song, "You can stop cokin and tokin and exercise that cellulite right off of your thighs, but sooner or later, you're still gonna' die."
Onward!
smile

#16252 - 04/19/04 01:04 AM Re: Diet soda
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Smilinize, you are a riot. [Wink] I too drink Clear America at times but am HOOKED on Diet A&W Root Beer which has sodium and aparateme. Yes and water is Boring alone!! I also buy at Wal-Mart sugar free and excellent tasting kool-aid. A box have 4 packages and comes in many delicious flavors.($2.89) If you're worried about the aparatame, buy the kind in the larger can, with no sugar added, and you can add your own sweetner. (Try Stevia+ it has fiber too)and tastes just like sugar, no after taste either. [Smile] This way you get plenty of water, little sodium, NO aparatame and a delicious drink. I also make ice cubes out of it and add them to keep it cold and flavorful or just put in a stick and you have a kool-pop. I NEVER buy any beverage in aluminum cans either, [Mad] once the medical journals I research talked about Alzheimers and aluminum cans,NO more aluminum cans for me. Make your kool-aid in a big glass sun tea pitcher. The A&W comes in large plastic bottles. Seriously folks, try the sugar free kool-aid you'll be glad you did. [Big Grin]

#16253 - 04/19/04 05:17 AM Re: Diet soda
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've gone back and forth on the aspertame thing and ya know, if it isn't one thing it's another. I've tried really hard to eliminate so many things that are bad for me... like the soda cans. I buy my sodas in bottles. And, I drink flavored water, sugar free of course. My favorite is the white grape.

I'm like you Dots, I drink the diet/caffiene free stuff. And, it's because of the taste.. nothing else. Oh, I like the carbonation too.

I drink the crystal light lemonade (only 5 calories in a bottle) once in a while. It's pretty sweet.

More products are coming out with Splenda instead of aspertame. You know, you can use it with your unsweetened koolaid instead of buying the sugar free stuff.

I'm really enjoying my support group on the BWS diet. Just knowing I have to tell someone what I ate makes me think twice and sometimes three times (if I get tempted [Wink] )

#16254 - 04/20/04 05:25 PM Re: Diet soda
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for your thoughts ladies. I decided I should probably try another artificailly sweetened drink, or just drink water with lemon. I love that.

When I food shopped this week I thought about all the money we spend on drinks. Milk, o.j., lite juices for Ross and Jess, sodas, flavored waters for Jess, Gatorade, and bottled water for them to take to school. Isn't that crazy? Just think of the money we could save if we drank water all the time.

I'm on a new campaign around the household...
Water for everyone! [Eek!]

#16255 - 04/21/04 05:49 AM Re: Diet soda
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
We like to get different kinds of sparkling waters, like from different countries.

#16256 - 04/21/04 05:13 PM Re: Diet soda
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Another good suggestion. I'm considering not buying soda for home and only having it when we are out. One way to cut back.

#16257 - 04/21/04 09:03 PM Re: Diet soda
smilinize Offline

Does anyone have a Sonic Drive In? I love their diet cherry limeades. They may have a few calories because they have a marachino cherry and a couple of slices of lime in them. Of course I don't eat them so...

My husband knows how I like those so if I'm tired he always drives through for one and it always picks me right up. Makes me happy too.

If you have a Sonic, try one. YUM.
smile

#16258 - 04/22/04 02:05 AM Re: Diet soda
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Smile you've hit on a weakness of mine the number 1 at Sonic Drive-In. [Wink] Vegas has alot of them located at every strategic part of the valley. Theres one only 5 blocks from my home. I think they must be up to a dozen wonderful, ice cold tasty drinks by now. The flavors escape me but next time my grandson and I drive through I'm going to get a list. I do know you won't find these yummy treats anywhere but Sonic. [Big Grin]

#16259 - 04/22/04 03:46 AM Re: Diet soda
smilinize Offline

Mmmmm. I love Sonic, but I bet just driving by is about 2,000 calories.
BWS dieters are watching you!!
smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved