The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#16015 - 12/09/03 07:24 PM Re: Curves?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
At the risk of sounds like a bit dog barking, were you referring to me???? hmmm?

Okay...I guess I need to get serious about this weight and exercise thing. Especially since I have this class reunion coming up in June.

So...who wants to jump on the bandwagon and lead the ATTACK PLAN for rebuilding the Queen for 2004? We've got SIX short months and 30 lbs..okay, I lied...40 lbs to loose. (somebody would have squealed on me anyway). Anybody?

#16016 - 12/10/03 03:53 AM Re: Curves?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm a hard-core weightlifter, mostly free weights in a co-ed gym. I currently bench press 125 and leg press maybe 360. After my selling season is over (two weeks to go!!!! [Big Grin] ) I start on day hikes through the local hills and low mountains. I seriously doubt any of you want to know more details [Roll Eyes]

Of course, I also teach my exercise class for cancer survivors, which is at a much lower intensity. However, I need to say that several of the women have lost up to 30 lbs. since starting, and everyone is soooo much stronger and has a lot more energy!

Myself? I'm on an anti-estrogen drug called Tamoxifen, which packed on 9 mystery lbs. in my first two months of it, 5 years ago. How do I know that Tamoxifen was the cause of my weight gain? Because in the previous 18 years since I graduated from high school, I had gained only 5 lbs. total and I'm sure it was all muscle. Some women gain up to 50 lbs. in their first 6 months. Evil stuff, but it's allegedly keeping me alive. Since then, I've stabilized my weight (sort of) by cutting my calorie intake by at least 1/3. Even if I starve -- I've done up to 4 days @ under 500 calories, to see if it would work -- the minute I eat, the weight is back. Pisses me off, because I don't think there's anything I can do about it. So I keep working out, eat my veggies, and realize here are worse things in life.

#16017 - 12/10/03 04:34 PM Re: Curves?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, I admire your will power and tremendous spirit for life. You're an inspiration! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#16018 - 12/11/03 04:31 AM Re: Curves?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
(Meredith thinking about blushing here)
Thanks Dotsie! I do my best [Wink]

My class has just informed me that instead of exercizing next week, we're meeting at a local restaurant for our annual holiday dinner. In 3 1/2 years we've NEVER had a holiday dinner so I suspect something is up. At the very least, yours truly will probably get a free dinner so of course I'll have to offer to take everyone on a hike to walk off all those dinner calories [Razz]

#16019 - 12/11/03 06:44 PM Re: Curves?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, there you go already thinking about what you can do for them if they pay for your dinner. Just like you! [Big Grin]

Why don't you just say *thank you* and relish in the good times with women who appreciate you! What an awesome feeling to know you have made a difference in the lives of so many! [Wink]

#16020 - 01/19/04 01:50 AM Re: Curves?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
I'm a member of Curves and like it. Well...let me amend that...I don't actually *hate* it. What I do like is the increased strength, flexibility and muscle toneness (is that a word?). My clothes fit better and those 75 pound bales of hay are a lot easier to lift. When I have to tip a sheep, it's easier now. When I have to clean horse feet, it's easier. Especially with my gentle giant who weighs +2,000 pounds. He's a lazy boy too; would rather lean on me than stand on his on immense bulk. I work out not because I like working out but because I like the results.

#16021 - 01/19/04 01:52 AM Re: Curves?

Sorry...that should have been <<<...stand on his OWN immense bulk...>>>

#16022 - 01/19/04 05:38 AM Re: Curves?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
good Lord woman...what do you need Curves for? Just go outside and play with the animals! That should be all the work out you need...75 lbs of hay? Hmm...come to think of it, I bet my purse weighs that much...hmmm

#16023 - 01/19/04 03:49 PM Re: Curves?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Just read an article yesterday about how Amish people are in better shape than any people who work out!

The writer of the article believes that people were in much better shape before any formal exercise equipment, gyms, or diets came into existence.

After reading Thistle's post I believe it! [Big Grin]

#16024 - 01/22/04 04:52 AM Re: Curves?

I actually go to Curves just to have a chance to get off the farm . I'm in better shape in the warmer months than in the winter months. Somehow trudging up the mountain in the cold just doesn't give me the same workout as when it's warm. Even though I fall down more (ice and snow) in the winter...seems like that would use up a LOT of calories!

We're going to get a break tomorrow - I'M SO EXCITED!!!! We haven't had a break for months and we're both wearing down. The whole house generator is hooked up and working, we've got a sitter coming to stay with the MIL, someone to feed animals...and we're going to stay in a hotel!!! In a CITY!!! OH MY! I've already got my knitting bag ready with some paperwork. We're going to be right next door to a bookstore!
Within walking distance of a Macaroni Grill. OH MY!

Heck, maybe next I'll even get to go to Mom & Dad's and celebrate Christmas 2003!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved