The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 78 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 16 of 28 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#169376 - 12/30/08 01:08 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Nothing can be deleted even one second after it is posted, this new system won't allow it. So I have no idea what you refer to. Only Dotsie and JJ have the power to delete and do so very very limitedly, almost never.

Sometimes there is so much new stuff being posted and it is like something else so its easy to forget which thread we saw what post in. I am guessing thats what you refer to seek.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#169377 - 12/30/08 01:09 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
seek Offline

Loc: mother earth

Edited by seek (12/30/08 01:15 AM)
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

dame julian of norwich - 14th century - mystic

#169378 - 12/30/08 01:12 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
seek Offline

"Dancer it sounds like she opened her mouth and her ignorance poured forth, gee whiz..."

what did this refer to? the quote was posted by josie quoting chatty lady, i think, but not sure . . .the reference seems to have been deleted.

what is being called "ignorant?"
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#169380 - 12/30/08 01:21 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Like I said nothing can or has been deleted Seek, Check out two quotes from me, one was by DJ, #169305 and one by Josie, #169348.
Maybe one of them is what you're looking for???

Oops, dinner bell is ringing, gotta go feed my face...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#169382 - 12/30/08 01:36 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: Josie]
seek Offline

Originally Posted By: Josie
Originally Posted By: chatty lady
Dancer it sounds like she opened her mouth and her ignorance poured forth, gee whiz...

What about people like Maya Angelou, the great poet, Oprah, Morgan Freeman, Ruby Dee, actors and countles other people of color that have contributed to this nation in unbelievable ways, scientists, scholars, heads of big business and trhose whose names escape me at this time...

I am proud to say I see no color, no race, I only see stupidity in whatever color or race it rears its ugly head in. I have good friends in all cultures whom I love and would trust my life to...

Well said, Chatty. As most here know, my family is white, black, Hispanic, etc. Of all of us, the Caucasions have mostly suffered here in the Northeast because of their color as we grew up in a mostly black projects. My dear brother (Caucasion) has been ridiculed for decades because he adopted a black son. How sad is THAT!

Now as we are older adults, we hear the same tired rhetoric about racism from mostly those seeking political office, or people like Al Sharpton, who is regularly looking for instant media oppotunities to be the national spokesperson for all blacks, whom he claims to represent.

There will always be isolated cases of illiterate people who think they are better because of their money, their color, their car, their politics, their religion, etc. The only thing we can do is educate them as best we can, and then move on.

Even Rodney King, a victim of racial discrimination who asked the country, "Can we all just get along?," is still himself learning how to treat people. His criminal record is sad, and includes horrendous acts of abuse against himself and others, even savagely beating his own wife while intoxicated. The man is still learning to put his own words into practice.

As I always say, God didn't make no perfect people. Lesson for today: Look for the good in each other, learn it, and pass it on!

PS: I adore Dr. Maya Angelou! She is so REAL and majorly awesome!

this is the post that quotes another post that seems to have been deleted or edited or something. somebody is talking to dancer saying "she" opened her mouth and ignorance came out. what is this in reference to?

who is the she and what is the ignorance?
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#169384 - 12/30/08 02:12 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
seek -- here's the quote you're looking for (see below). The "she" referred to was someone in the hospital where dancer works.

seek said: "out of all of the youths out there there has to be one talented genious that could rap about real social problems and suggest real social change.
"i do not know what is wrong with the kids in college - why they are so complacent and mediorcre - where are the strong voices and the strong opinions? where are the protests? A far as kids rebelling -- if only they thought like adults or perhaps lived in a world not as sick as this one, maybe they'd do logical things, like making art in positive ways."

But, as I've been trying to say, 'youth culture' has been appropriated, packaged and resold back to kids, and they know it. Their world is dominated by commerce and it's difficult to escape. The economic crisis may actually be their salvation by allowing them to self express without someone trying to cash in on it and sell it back to them. Getting anything 'into the mainstream' that hasn't been bankrolled by Disney Corp. ain't so easy. There are plenty of young people protesting and making art and music, but you won't see it unless you dig for it. It's not going to be on TV.

I have books that contain images of old Nike ads. Not sure if you can Google them. If you want to see what Sprite did to identify themselves with the gangster image, you could go to the PBS web site and watch "The Merchants of Cool."

(Dancer:)
It's only my opinion but I believe that those of colour have certain reasons to be angry.

Everytime an incident occurs like the ones Orchid, Chatty, and I have mentioned, there is one more strike against a person of color. Of course they are angry! They would be unhealthy and have low self esteem were they not!

Racial profiling is alive and well in this country and I don't see it stopping soon.

I had a person at the hospital tell me that she was in line with some 'black people," and was not scared of them and thought of them as people because of Barak Obama!

Wow, if that is how she learned to think of "black people as people," we have a LONG way to go.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post
#159962 - 09/15/08 08:22 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady
Editor/Ghostwriter

Dancer it sounds like she opened her mouth and her ignorance poured forth, gee whiz...

What about people like Maya Angelou, the great poet, Oprah, Morgan Freeman, Ruby Dee, actors and countles other people of color that have contributed to this nation in unbelievable ways, scientists, scholars, heads of big business and trhose whose names escape me at this time...

I am proud to say I see no color, no race, I only see stupidity in whatever color or race it rears its ugly head in. I have good friends in all cultures whom I love and would trust my life to...

Edited by DJ (12/30/08 02:50 AM)

#169386 - 12/30/08 03:48 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: DJ]
seek Offline

ok. i am going to take a break.

dj: you jumbled a couple of my quotes with someone else's.-- if only they thought like adults or perhaps lived in a world not as sick as this one, maybe they'd do logical things, like making art in positive ways."

i did not say this:

-- if only they thought like adults or perhaps lived in a world not as sick as this one, maybe they'd do logical things, like making art in positive ways."

me again: i did not say the above, but you attached it to my other two quotes.

i believe i said the quotes you cited after the mysterious quotes of chatty, dancer, and josie . . .

i am very confused.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#169388 - 12/30/08 03:54 AM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
seek Offline

yes, as i thought . . . the two actual quotes of mine that you reproduced were way after (two pages after) the cut and paste that i inquired about of josie's where chatty was quoted and dancer was referenced.

i wonder why you cut and pasted two of my quotes and then glommed someone else's quote onto mine in answer to my question about the mystery quote about "ignorance."
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#169398 - 12/30/08 12:26 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
seek --
I ofund the quotes for you, but that was not my top priority. so I put them at the end of my email. I wrote (see below) so you'd know that if you look below, you'd find the quotes

But I prefaced it with my own thoughts about what you had said. I quoted you twice and made my own comments on what you said. Those are my words in response I to you. I didn't glom anything.

I say this: if only they thought like adults or perhaps lived in a world not as sick as this one, maybe they'd do logical things, like making art in positive ways.

Kids don't think like adults. (I say that).

AND...
I found and copied the entire exchange you were asking about.

2 separate ideas going on there.

Edited by DJ (12/30/08 01:29 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#169419 - 12/30/08 02:56 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
IMO When humans are young there seems to be something attractive to the "gang" environment. Young people want to belong to groups. Maybe group gatherings make them feel more powerful? You know that ole sayin', "birds of a feather flock together." Perhaps that's some type of youthful syndrome. Individuals have less power than group totality. "Our gang can take on the world." You age some and realize you can't always count on every member within that gang. If you don't watch out for yourself, nobody else will. And life circumstances force gang members to go their separate ways? Who knows? I'm just thinkin' out loud!

Page 16 of 28 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27 28 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved