The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#15936 - 09/12/03 04:17 PM Atkins Diet anyone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anyone in here done the Atkins Diet?

One of my sisters has had tremendous success with it. She has lost 85 pounds. When she first started the diet and lost twentysome punds she joked about having lost a toddler. Now she has lost another person!

There was a time when it wasn't looked upon by the medical profession as a healthy diet because of all the fat. Recently the medical profession is changeing that and the news is out that it really is healthy.

A doctor friend of mine said that is how Dr. Atkins died. He heard about all the latest studies and was thrilled with the affirmation his diet was getting so he was jumping up and down on the ice and fell and banged his head. [Eek!]

#15937 - 09/15/03 02:10 AM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:

One of my sisters has had tremendous success with it. She has lost 85 pounds. When she first started the diet and lost twentysome punds she joked about having lost a toddler. Now she has lost another person!

There was a time when it wasn't looked upon by the medical profession as a healthy diet because of all the fat. Recently the medical profession is changeing that and the news is out that it really is healthy.

A doctor friend of mine said that is how Dr. Atkins died. He heard about all the latest studies and was thrilled with the affirmation his diet was getting so he was jumping up and down on the ice and fell and banged his head. [Eek!]

#15938 - 09/15/03 02:12 AM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
quote:
Originally posted by smilingthrulife:
quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
"hahahah I will figure out how to reply here sooner or later....I've been on the Adkins diet and it made me sick....I like eating carbs and it made me miss them very much. Yes you can lose the weight quickly but if you don't continually watch your carb intake you can quickly gain it back and then some....I know...cause I've done it"

#15939 - 09/16/03 03:20 PM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

With all the recent talk about this Atkin's DIet I have learned something about myself...I am a carbohydrate junkie.

Couldn't even figure out what I would have for breakfast because I typically have cereal with fruit, a bagel, or English muffin.

AND...the thought of having bacon and eggs for breakfast every day grosses me out for some reason.

#15940 - 10/17/03 06:58 AM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Hey Dot...I just started the Atkins diet.. I'm waiting for the book to come but I know the basics... and if I don't go get candy, I'll stay on it...there's sugar free candy but it's dangerous for your stomach..no, seriously.. [Frown] . but that's a WHOLE 'nother story and quite graphic too......one of my girlfriends is having great success on it too. I think she's lost 20 lbs in about three weeks. I think I may have lost 10 in the last week...but I suppose I'll really be able to tell after a few weeks, not the first. I could stand to lose a whole person off my .... well my ass could feed a small country, I'm pretty sure... so I don't know... a person I guess.

#15941 - 10/17/03 03:44 PM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Dreamr Kate, what do you mean sugar free candy is bad for your stomach? I ahve been some problems recently with my tsomach and no one can figure out why. Now I'm thinking it might be the sugar-free stuff we've been buying for my husabnd. It all started around then.

#15942 - 10/17/03 03:51 PM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yeah, DK, please tell us about the stomach and sugar-free candy. Two members of my family are diabetics. One doesn't eat the sugar-free stuff, but the ohter does.

I know the sugar substitute can give you the runs!!! My daughter has overdone it before and found that uot. actually, so has my son. He ate, I think it was a pack of Vela mints (remember them) and they did a number on his tummy. Is that what you're talking about?

#15943 - 10/17/03 03:52 PM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Also, Dk...Some-how your butt feeding a small country doesn't sound too nutritious... [Eek!]

[ October 17, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#15944 - 10/17/03 09:12 PM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Wow Dot... you know - YOU'RE SO RIGHT... sorry .. that was a gross out moment. Surely there must be some analogy that would be appropriate... I'll come up with one and let you know.. however, in the interim... when Molly Shannon was on Will & Grace one night she said something that I loved - "Yeah, I was thinking of having a butt lift - but not the surgical kind. I just want a guy follow me around and hold up it up." *LOL*

Okay, seriously now.. I just happened to have a bad experience with the sugar-free stuff and will forever be truly careful - IF I ever eat candy again in life. So here's my story - I was at the store with a friend of mine who's been on Atkins and doing well and we were looking at the sugar-free candy and I said "Hey look, I can have that candy" so she proceeded to tell me about the different kinds, because she has actually READ the book. So she's telling me about the sugar-alcohol content and if it has that, which I think a lot of sugar free stuff does (why, I don't know) (don't ask me that stuff) and it could give you a stomach ache.....and I heard "CANDY-CANDY I can have"... and then she droned on and on about being careful with it and don't eat very much of it....and (again) I heard "CANDY-CANDY I can have"...
and she said "believe me, I know" and I'm choosing the sugar-free Reese's Peanut Butter Cups off the shelf and reaching for the Truffles.... hearing only......what? What is my mantra at this point? All together now....."CANDY-CANDY I can have"...
Yeah... well that CANDY I can have? It took about two hours - I went to bed at 1 a.m. and by 3 a.m. I was woken up by a distinct "HOLY CRAP, there's a machete in my stomach" feeling........I hobbled to the restroom praying for the knife to come out of my stomach, and my stomach.....oh my god, I'm not exagerating at all here... it was hard as a rock and HUGE, it looked like I was pregnant. I sat there for two hours. And it's not that I had to "go" it was just that I couldn't be sure. I could hear air (?) moving through what seemed like intestines that could have stretched the full width of Texas.. I could hear it move at every turn. I fully expected something to (and I AM exagerating here) an alien to come screaming out of my stomach. Really, I thought I would die. I actually hoped that I would die. I prayed I would die.

I was afraid to take that little home remedy, 1/2 tsp of baking soda in water, which usually relieves stomach upsets.....but I thought I would (seriously) explode. And then, funny thing, you think about a lot of stuff when you're sitting there for two hours holding your gut so it won't do some truly weird thing and freak you out .... I was wondering - guys always joke around about lighting a match - and truly, I do not find jokes about human bodily functions amusing in the least and quite inappropriate... but I have to tell you - while I was sitting there I did think about it. Light a match and what? Would I be the next Lethal Weapon scene? Would we be selling our house with a detached bathroom? What?

And you probably want to know "well how the heck much did you eat anyway?" - I ate 7 pieces out of each little bag. I know. I probably deserved it.

Any other questions now that you know all about me now? Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, you can hate me because I'm sometimes an idiot!

DreamrKate

#15945 - 10/18/03 04:24 PM Re: Atkins Diet anyone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

COuld be on to something here Candice! I'm gona ask my daughter about her sugar-free candy and her tummy. [Eek!]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved