The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#156907 - 08/20/08 09:54 AM When grandchildren move
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki mentioned in another post about the possibility of her grandchild moving across the country. We've recently had a little great niece and nephew move away and it's sad. We're not even the grandparents, but they added so much and offered so much to family gatherings and now they're gone. All of my dad's great-grandchildren are in other states. This is so typical of our transient society in this day and age, but I find it tough.

Are your grandchildren out of town, and if so, what do you do to stay in touch?

#156947 - 08/20/08 05:03 PM Re: When grandchildren move [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
DH's two little granddaughters, 2 y/o and 9 months, live 5 hrs away. We last saw them in March. He talks to his DD often, and sometimes talking to Grace, the 2 y/o.

We just can't get over there much....w/dogs and the heat. Plus, we'd have to go after the market on Sat and only stay 'til Tues. Realizing being self-employed is 24/7, we know that we just can't "up and go". Thankfully we love what we do.

When he is ready and really, really needing a "grand baby fix", I just tag along. It's not a huge yearning for me, obviously. But I understand his longing.

#156971 - 08/20/08 09:42 PM Re: When grandchildren move [Re: Dotsie]
savvygrandmother Offline

Loc: texas
It's hard when grandchildren live away. Long distance grandparenting is a great challenge. I have gotten lots of ideas from friends - read their favorite book on tape and send it to them, start a book club by reading the same book and emailing back and forth, visit at least once a month if possible, use digital photos etc, laminate your phone numbers so they can call you whenever! Actually this topic is one of the most popular chapters in my book - people are always challenged to stay connected - but its up to us to do it. Baby boomers are creative and clever grandmothers. There are lots of ways - just be inventive!

"Grandmothers are a new kind of breed. I know I am one. Baby boomers are changing the face of grandparenting for the 21st century." www.martynorman.com, http://savvygrandmothers.blogspot.com

#157035 - 08/21/08 11:30 AM Re: When grandchildren move [Re: savvygrandmother]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My parents had in town and out of town grandchildren. The relationships were different. With the out of town kids, they either spent the night or stayed in a nearby hotel so they did every little thing with the kids when they visited. This was different than the in town kids who they saw occasionally for parties, dinners, games, etc. While they may have seen the in town kids more often, they definitely had a neat connection to the ones out of town because when they were there, they were intimately involved.

#157062 - 08/21/08 06:31 PM Re: When grandchildren move [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I never realized until I had my own grandchild how awful it must be for my mother, as all her daughters married and moved many thousand miles away. The only one who remained was my brother who is epileptic and couldn't move. My own son lives clear across the valley and with he and my DIL both working and going to bed early to get up by 5:00 a.m. daily I rarely see them. My grandson is now 17 and he has grown up living closer than we are to my mother and yet I rarely see him either. Its not always the distance that is the problem but life and living it that gets in the way! It was much better when I was a kid, we all lived within blocks of each other and got together ALL the time. Boy how I miss those days.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved