The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#155135 - 08/01/08 08:11 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Welcome Home Mate! Beautiful Photos! I will def. check out the others as well. I love the picture of the old man. It looks like an oil painting.
Can't wait to hear and see more. I've never been to Ireland. Just seeing the gardens would be worth it. You sure you didn't see the Queen walking the alligators on a very long leash?

#155136 - 08/01/08 08:17 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Welcome home, Kathy and thanks so much for the great photos! It sounds so awesome!

#155137 - 08/01/08 09:17 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
1. Why did Pat come to the states, and why did the sisters not come here to visit or him go there to visit over the 60 years?
ANSWER: Pat's father wanted him to become a priest and sent him to seminary school for several years. Pat didn't want to be a priest, didn't get along well with his father, and left on uncomfortable terms. Pat never wanted to go back, he "wanted to remember it like it was". His sisters have never flown and have no intention to now; in fact, they already want him to come back.

2. What did the local want to know about our elections? How you felt? Is the coverage accurate? Etc.?
ANSWER:We weren't able to talk long, but he was very intersested in the election, as well as our economy. He wanted to know if it was as bad as they heard, and apparently Ireland is also going through a similar economic crisis. He seemed to want to compare the media reports with someone who lives in the states.

3. Did you get to see any moors? Any rural areas? if yes, pics?
ANSWER: Not sure if I saw any moors - would I know if I did? Most of the west side of Ireland seemed to be rural. Miles and miles of pastoral land, rock and ivy hedges, cows, sheep, and narrow roads.

4. How was the flight, coming and going... airports, etc.?
ANSWER: Flights going were fine. We flew from Ontario, CA to JFK in New York, then a few days later flew from JFK to Shannon, Ireland. Coming home was another story. Our 6.5 hour flight from Shannon to JFK last Sunday was delayed 5 hours because of thunderstorms in New York. We sat on the runway in Boston for hours. Then we had about 3 hours of sleep before we had to leave JFK to come back to California. A tiring trip home.

5. Did you go to a pub, you know, one such as those almost always included in Ireland based movies?
ANSWER: With this group, we visited lots of Pubs! Did you know Pub is short for Public Place? But none of the pubs in Ireland have a sign that says Pub; they all say Bar. The drinking age is 18, so all the cousins were out late at night, trying the Guinness. Even my 16 yr old Ryan had a few; they don't check for ID. We had told him he could have ONE, but then after we went home, his older cousins bought him more. The pubs were fine; all served food and some had music.

6. What were the biggest differences between there and the states? How's the diversity?
ANSWER: Diversity? What diversity? I think I saw one black family the entire Ireland trip, and never saw any hispanics. There were asians and each town seemed to have a chinese or thai restaurant. There were lots of workers from the mid-east, and many that work in the restaurants and pubs are from other areas of the world. Also, we did notice that there weren't many fat people at all. So that means you can eat all the potatoes and drink all the Guinness you want! The people all seemed friendly in the towns we visited, although Dublin is pretty much just another large city. Lots of people walking around with their cell phones or Ipods hooked to their ears. Makes it kind of hard to get their attention to ask directions!

#155138 - 08/01/08 09:21 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Here's a photo that shows how the countryside looked just about everywhere we drove. Even all the way from Limerick on the west to Dublin in the east, this is how it looked. Green and beautiful! By the way, it rained for weeks before we arrived, then we had NO rain while we were there, and I hear it's been raining ever since we left! Perfect timing.

#155139 - 08/01/08 09:23 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Here's a photo of me with my son Ryan. He truly enjoyed meeting all the family - that was his favorite part of the trip!

#155140 - 08/01/08 09:39 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

This was a wheat field located in Adare village.

#155141 - 08/01/08 09:40 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

This is Adare Manor; we stayed on the grounds in the Villas. The side of this manor is the earlier photo of JJ's moat.

#155142 - 08/01/08 09:42 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

This shows the streets of Dublin; very narrow and lots of traffic and pedestrians, and wide busses too.

#155143 - 08/01/08 09:43 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Kathy, this is a darling pic of you and Ryan..and all the other ones as well. I can't wait to go and visit the rest of them. The scene of the countryside could be anywhere in Ireland, they all have that, don't they? Beauty everywhere, friendly people, and the best brown bread I ever gobbled down. Did you notice they had chocolate stores in all small towns? You have to love that about them. Beer and chocolate. Yum! By the way, thanks for the pic of my castle...and just so we are all clear about the alligators, I only use them on weekends. I can't stand it when rumors start flying around. Geeish...

Welcome home, Lassie

#155144 - 08/01/08 09:44 PM Re: I'm back from Ireland and New York! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Here's another pastoral view in Knappogue, where we went to a medieval banquet.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved