The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#154190 - 07/23/08 10:11 PM Re: Ideas? I'm teaching some adult ed [Re: hotflashgal]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Thanks folks You all have provided good ideas! I'll get back to this in a few days, right now I'm on a paid mission of deadlines for a new product my company is putting out.

I myself had a hard time thinking of anything because I've been using a computer since Apple put out the first home computer in the early 80s. But I didn't want my experience or background to color any of this. It was amazing for me to learn that many of these women want to upgrade their job skills but the only computer access they may have is through this learning center (located in a neighborhood church where they live). Some can't even reach a public library because there isn't one within walking distance in their neighborhood. So if they can't use one at work or at home, they're between a rock and a hard spot. But it seems today, it's impossible to get a decent job without some solid computer skills.

And the writing skills is a great idea. Someone actually asked me in class the other night if I knew of a good website for grammar. I pointed them to Purdue's OWL (online writing lab). Writing skills are very important to getting ahead I think too!

#154192 - 07/24/08 07:23 AM Re: Ideas? I'm teaching some adult ed [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
While on the subject of emails: teach them about spam and phishing. When I was a barely-hatched newbie, I signed up for all kinds of great offers! -- yeah, you know that garbage -- but part of computer literacy is not falling prey to that. Viruses, hijacked browsers, etc. etc. Because if they muck up their computer, it doesn't matter how much good stuff they learned if their hard drive blows up.

"COMPUTER LITERACY AND SAFETY -- How to navigate the internet without losing your identity or ruining your computer" -- or something to that effect.

Poet and essayist

#154193 - 07/24/08 11:32 AM Re: Ideas? I'm teaching some adult ed [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
The importance of BACKING UP FILES.
Th---whatttt?

#154194 - 07/27/08 10:30 PM Re: Ideas? I'm teaching some adult ed [Re: jawjaw]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
So so true...back up files.

I'll compile a list. I'll teach another class Wednesday (I am pinch-hitting to substitute for instructors now and am already using a pre-determined agenda). But we're supposed to get together soon and work a schedule/agenda for fall.

So many good ideas. The focus of the classes so far has been in my eyes too "technical"--not enough "boot camp." But I thought it was just my perceptions...many of these ideas re email, backing up files, internet safety, etc. were confirming my notions

Edited by keyholes (07/27/08 10:31 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved