The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 211 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#153886 - 07/25/08 09:43 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Get the recipe dancer if you can and put it in the recipe section. I LOVE salmon...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#153887 - 07/26/08 12:50 AM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: chatty lady]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'll try, Chatty.
Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#153888 - 07/26/08 10:15 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: Edelweiss]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
From my understanding one of the things that sets these girls up for it is an extremely controlling environment. They figure if they can't control things going on around them the one thing they have total control over is there eating. Of course, they may not be aware of this reasoning, it may be all subconcious. It is a very serious and often fatal disease.

#153889 - 07/27/08 01:16 AM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: greene]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
You are spot-on, greene!
Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#153890 - 07/31/08 09:21 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: dancer9]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I just want to thank you for your answer Dancer and Meredith too; Interesting observations.

Our neighbours have twin adult daughters. Both are beautiful young ladies, except that they are so skinny their collar bones look like they swallowed boomerangs. Their parents are kind gentle people. Both daughters have doctor degrees. They work our every day for hours. I’ve been invited to their homes, which appear not only modern but sterile. Everything is black and white, lots of steal, chrome, and leather. A single white orchid in a black vase is just about the only knick-knack in their spacious homes. They eat like sparrows. Both have two children, but you won’t see any food lying around; Never mind a crumb on a kitchen counter.

You could blow me over with a feather if these girls don’t willfully starve themselves. Isn’t it weird that both of them are like that? Makes me wonder if Anorexia can be a genetic ailment.

#153891 - 07/31/08 09:44 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: Edelweiss]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Edelweiss, I'd say NO because there's no anorexia or related eating disorders in 3rd-world countries where food is scarce, or in societies where full-figured women are the ideal.

However, being twins they were raised in the same environment, and (especially if they're identical) may have a similar response.

Poet and essayist

#153892 - 08/01/08 01:56 AM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: meredithbead]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Genetic? That's something I never considered. I wonder if that has been studied. My opinion is much the same as Meredith's. I form my thoughts based on personal experience as well as facilitating workshops/therapy sessions for adult survivors of child abuse. I recall studying Psych 101 in first semesster college 1973. The picture of anorexia nervosa was ONE black and white picture of a male, and ONE paragraph. I weighed 98 pounds at the time, at 5'5. My cousin (my best childhood friend) and I did indeed compete in terms of weight. If she got to 104, I tried to get under 100. I just had no appetite, or so I thought. She was willful, as EW observes, willfully starving herself. We had 1) same famly dynamics 2) patriarchal dogmas 3) subservience 4) forced obedience. As Greene says, in my cousin's case, it was a matter of the only control she had over her own choices and activities. A couple years later, I silently smirked when she went to 133, and I was a mere 110. I weighed less than her, and it was a victory. How twisted is that? As Dotsie says, eating disorders are not only more talked about, but they are also actually, factually more prevalent. It's odd that there is more help available, yet the disease is so pervasive. When I was 22 I was hospitalized for "unexplained weight loss." I had an IV. I actually asked how many calories the IV drip had. Really, the doctors had no idea what they were dealing with. When my cousin was hospitalized for the same reason (underweight, no thought process, no energy, no proper bodily functions, just coffee and cigarettes) the general DX for her was "nervous condition." Fast forward 30 years to social work profession: there wasn't a one group member who did not or had not had some form of destructive relationship with food. Tonight I saw a segment on the soap opera star Lisa Rena and her husband Harry Hamlin. Lisa is 45. The focus of the article was on how great she looked in her bikini. And the segment producer compared photos of her in bikinis "over the decades." Wow, how very important the media makes women's size. Of course, Harry's size was not discussed. I have a neice who has been a dancer since she could walk. Her major in college was theater and dance. She played "Karen" in "The Red Shoes" for community theater. Triple threat: voice, dance, acting. Anyway, she auditioned for a cruise line dance troupe, and did not make it. My step-father, who told me I should strive for a body like Cheryl Tiegs (in the 70s) said about his step-granddaughter, "I bet she did not make the cruise due to the way she bulked up. Have you noticed how much weight she's gained? I hope she doesn't get huge like her mother." Wow. What messages. What judgement. The family dynamics is a HUGE part of the pervasive problem. I think that anorexia turned from one page in a text book to a disease worth exploring with the death of Karen Carpenter. Not a solution in sight. I wonder what the long term life recovery rate is? I hope it's higher than I think it is. Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Princess Lenora (08/01/08 02:02 AM)

#153893 - 08/01/08 06:41 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: Princess Lenora]
greene Offline

I know that in some areas anorexia is treated very much like alcoholism. There is even a book on the market about overcoming eating disorders using the 12 steps. It is part workbook where one can write out the steps as they go thru them. The thought being that they are as 'powerless' over the eating disorder as an alcoholic is over alcohol.

#153894 - 08/01/08 07:11 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Genetic? That's something I never considered. I wonder if that has been studied. My opinion is much the same as Meredith's. I form my thoughts based on personal experience as well as facilitating workshops/therapy sessions for adult survivors of child abuse. I recall studying Psych 101 in first semesster college 1973. The picture of anorexia nervosa was ONE black and white picture of a male, and ONE paragraph. I weighed 98 pounds at the time, at 5'5. My cousin (my best childhood friend) and I did indeed compete in terms of weight. If she got to 104, I tried to get under 100. I just had no appetite, or so I thought. She was willful, as EW observes, willfully starving herself. We had 1) same famly dynamics 2) patriarchal dogmas 3) subservience 4) forced obedience. As Greene says, in my cousin's case, it was a matter of the only control she had over her own choices and activities. A couple years later, I silently smirked when she went to 133, and I was a mere 110. I weighed less than her, and it was a victory. How twisted is that? As Dotsie says, eating disorders are not only more talked about, but they are also actually, factually more prevalent.

Princess you were terribly emaciated when you had anorexia. I am 5'1" at 100lbs. I am at a good weight for my small bone structure.

What further clouds the whole problem now, is that in general in North America, many people are much more overweight than they were 30 years ago. So people start thinking that is "normal" and look at a small person like myself as abnormal or anorexic...

What I used to eat in terms of food volume, surprised many men much taller than myself when they saw my meals. But now I eat less but still same weight, because of age and metabolism slowdown. (I used to cycle at least 25% more annually than what I do now.)

If you saw me with many other Asian women (which is very easy in Vancouver to get this real-life context), I am normal and healthy.

I don't agree that anorexia is genetic. yes, some people look naturally slim or "skinny", but one needs to look at their weekly dietary intake and portions of food.

EW, those doctor-women-mothers sound quite different from my sister who herself lost weight, has a child ..but tries to keep an ok neat home stuffed with many colours, shapes, etc.

#153895 - 08/01/08 07:48 PM Re: Anorexia Nervosa and my cast member [Re: orchid]
greene Offline

Perhaps it isn't strictly genetic but what is genetic is ones sensitivity to the environment and therefore the behavioral reaction to it?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved