The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#152356 - 07/02/08 12:20 AM Re: A newbie that may not fit in... [Re: cherry]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Hi Cherry...

I have to reiterate what a great daughter you are to be concerned about your mom and reach out for ideas and help.

All I can suggest is that if it is menopause there could be a depression component to it--and to reinforce that she does seek a doctor's advice. If she is depressed, there are lots of things that will help her--medications (with care of course...antidepression drugs are dangerous in my view), therapy, and perhaps some life coaching. It sounds like she just can't find the joy in life any longer.

When I went through my divorce, I started perimenopause very early (I was only 41, almost 42). Experienced severe depression along with that. I refused the anti-dep. drugs because I think they are dangerous but hormone replacement therapy, counseling, and life coaching helped a lot. I didn't want to leave the house, I didn't want to go to work (I blamed my employer in part for my divorce...heck, they made me travel extensively), social activities did not interest me in the least bit (I always found excuses to avoid them--my self-esteem was in the dumpster), and I felt so overwhelmed by so many things. I can see where your mom may feel overwhelmed too.

You can't "fix" your mom, all you can do is offer your help and support. If I were your mom and knew about this thread, I'd be giving you one huge hug! Here's a virtual hug anyway

Good luck.

#152357 - 07/02/08 04:07 PM Re: A newbie that may not fit in... [Re: keyholes]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
wow, this is such a great thread. I hate to delete it, but I would if Cherry wants her mom to be among us. Cherry, please let me know what to do next. Thanks.

qball, loved your idea of watching the YaYa movie together.

#152358 - 07/02/08 04:09 PM Re: A newbie that may not fit in...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Also, this post awakens me to the fact that it's hard for us to understand differences among generations. I love having a younger voice in here. We have so much to learn from one another. Maybe cherry could stick around and listen to some of the concerns we have with our children.

#152359 - 07/03/08 03:15 AM Re: A newbie that may not fit in... [Re: Ell]
cherry Offline

Well this thread has helped me a lot. I know I can't "just fix it" for her. I talked with her a little and I think she is just really overwhelmed. She's looking for a little relaxation!! And I think there is a small bit seeking some fun, but her life has just snuffed out all of that!

Thank You All!!!

And Dotsie- Earlier I tought about posting a question about freezing corn, LOL!!! Is there a Mother Hen section I can post in? LOL:)

Cherry

#152360 - 07/03/08 12:53 PM Re: A newbie that may not fit in... [Re: cherry]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I love the idea of a "Mother Hen" forum! What a great idea.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved