The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#149978 - 06/02/08 05:42 PM Biggest Loser - at home!
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi,
Most of you have heard of The Biggest Loser, a TV show that gets a bunch of people together and they compete to see who can lose the most weight. Well, I read an article in a magazine about a woman who challenged her husband at home and they did great.

I didn't think my hubby would go for it, but he did! We started a week ago, and we set a goal of 20 lbs each. We weigh in each week and the winner gets to name their own prize. The thing is, you have to lose at least 3 lbs that week to even qualify.

I'm pretty competetive, but so is he, so this should be interesting. I won the first week with a loss of 6.4 lbs, and he lost 3 lbs. I did a modified South Beach diet with salads and lean protein, lots of water, etc. He mostly cut out sugar and upped his exercise routine.

I know I can't keep up this pace for long - I'll get to 10lbs and will really have to work at it. I'll stop in each week and let you know how we're doing.

Kathy

#149979 - 06/03/08 10:29 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Go, go, GO KATHY GO!

Poet and essayist

#149980 - 06/03/08 10:34 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: meredithbead]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Kathy that is awesome!

I started back in February adding fiber and water to my diet and as a result I'm eating healtier than I ever have...lots of fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats...I'm cooking all the time...and washing dishes I also started an exercise program...nothing drastic...and I'm down 30 pounds!

Those first pounds really help you to believe that you can do it...YOU GO GIRL!

#149981 - 06/03/08 10:45 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Q_ball Offline

Loc: Ozarks
Congratulations Kathy & Jane! Kathy, what a creative way to get on a weight loss program. My DH eats like a horse, so I'm always cooking 'for" him, and often just have what he has, in very small portions. How cleaver to get a guy to eat weight friendly too. I could cheerfully get along well on grapes, yogurt & tuna, low fat foods ALL the time. I'm so proud of both you gals.

#149982 - 06/04/08 02:17 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Q_ball]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Jane, you're an inspiration! That is so cool - 30 lbs is my ultimate goal, but for now we're shooting for 20.

I had such a craving for a bowl of Cocoa Krispies today - aargh. I probably wanted it because it's about the only sweet thing in the house. But I was good, I ate my almonds and drank a bunch of water and the craving passed.

#149983 - 06/04/08 03:06 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Congrats. Jane! Did you do it cold turkey..ie. the next day, started switching.

Or a slow of osmosis of new habits?

#149984 - 06/04/08 06:34 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
WOW. 6,4 pounds in a week! That's fantastic. And you inspired me...I want you all to recognize me at our Boomer meet!

My son 's friend lost the sensation of taste through an accident while playing ice hockey. Can you imagine? Not being able to taste anything? He would buy tons of potato chips, just to hear the crunchy sound.

#149985 - 06/04/08 06:20 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Congratulations ladies, its never easy but so rewarding when we're successful.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#149986 - 06/09/08 12:48 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Weekly update - dang it! He won this week! I only lost 2.8 lbs and he lost 3.5. Well, at least I'll find out what he wants for his prize.... could be fun for both of us!

I didn't exercise as much; my walking partner flaked out on me all 3 days and I only played racquetball once. I guess I flake out on myself when I don't go walk anyway, huh? Also, I think my period is coming at the end of this week, so I could have a little gain from that joyful event. grrrr.

This is keeping me accountable; see you next week!
K

#149987 - 06/09/08 01:40 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

But girl! YOU LOST! Way to go and give yourself a pat on the back. Do not look back...just forward. You are doing so good. You are inspiring me to put down the ____(you fill in the blank) and get moving.

Please don't stop!

#149988 - 06/09/08 01:45 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks JJ, I need the cheering squad to keep me going. Normally when I try to lose weight I get to a point where I'm barely losing, or at a standstill, and then I say oh screw it and pig out on wonderful chocolate and ice cream and oh, you name it. Then I gain it all back.

But this time I have that 20 lb goal and a competition, so I'm trying to stick to it. It will be tough later this week, because we are going to Oregon for my neice's wedding. It's so much harder to be good when you travel.

#149989 - 06/09/08 01:48 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yep, I totally agree. I seem to adopt the "oh I'm taking a break because I'm out of my environment and I'll get right back to it when I get home" attitude....

But, once I cross over that calorie line...it's all she wrote. Working from home has been the biggest blessing for me....working from home has been the biggest curse for me....

You KNOW what I mean, don't you? The sitting all day at the puter...the ability to go to the kitchen whenever you want to...not having to wear a bra....and the pros and cons go on and on.

But not to change the focus here. My point is that when one works from home and one "sits" all day...you can really say, "this computer makes my butt look big."

You know?

#149990 - 06/09/08 01:56 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Ah yes, no bra, no pantyhose, no fancy shoes. Just me and my slippers working away. I know...

Hey, even when I think I've cleard my house of all the sweet stuff, I still can find something bad to eat. Once when I was dieting, I found some chocolate chips. I poured some into a cup, added some coconut flakes, and then stirred in some whipped topping to hold it all together. Delish!

Is that desperation or what?

#149991 - 06/09/08 02:03 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Congrats Kathy and Jane.

I was one of those lucky girls who never put on weight until I hit my fifties (menopause, me thinks). Now I weight 20 pounds more than I did 5 years ago. Yuck.

When I travel, I tend to eat better than I do at home. I guess we are all different.

Are you still South Beachin it, Kathy?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#149992 - 06/09/08 02:16 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Kathy...I use to visit Kroger to lick the doors on the ice cream cases...you don't KNOW desperation, honey.

Let me tell ya one treat I've found that even a junk food, chocolate lover like ME seems to like...and that is mandarin oranges. Oh my goodness. Those babies are so sweet and yummy. I put them on a salad with onion and lettuce, a tablespoon of either blue cheese dressing (which ain't good for ya) or ranch (another no no, but only using a tablespoon) and it hits the spot. Or....I take them and mix in some plain yogurt. YUM!

#149993 - 06/09/08 02:37 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Anno, yes, I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining an ounce. That's why it's so difficult to give up the foods I love. And yes, sort of South Beach. Salads, eggs, fish, lean meats, no sugar, no rice/potatoes/bread, etc.

JJ, I love mandarin oranges in salad. There's a restaurant nearby that makes a Caribbean Chicken Salad, and it has them in it -love it.

#149994 - 06/10/08 02:23 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Come on Kathy. You must beat him this week.

STEP AWAY from the refrigerator and cabinets.

I'm cheering for you from afar.

Go Kathy, go Kathy, go, go, go Kathy!

Can you tell I'm competitive and love it when girls beat boys at anything?

#149995 - 06/11/08 11:11 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home!
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Love the idea of a biggest loser competition at home! When I saw this thread, I remembered this article that appeared in our newspaper recently.........all about different groups (like a group of staff members at a local school) who started biggest loser clubs of their own. Take a look if you're interested:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/news/doctorphillips/orl-bigloser08jun10,0,868546.story

#149996 - 06/16/08 02:23 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Okay, bad news. Really bad news. I GAINED 4.3 lbs in one week. Is that the pits or what??

I didn't even eat really bad! I went to a wedding and had cake, a few potatoes, ate some fast food on the way there and back (3 day trip), but it's not like I went out for hot fudge sundaes every day!! I'm also on my period, so that adds some weight as well. Plus, I didn't exercise much at all last week; I think just one game of racquetball.

The good news? I found another racquetball player so maybe I can play more often, and my walking partner is ready to get back in the groove. Plus, I ate healthy this morning and don't plan to give up.

In the past, this type of set-back would have sent me straight to the ice cream counter of Cold Stone for a german chocolate treat. Not this time! I feel like you guys are keeping me accountable, plus I want to fit into my decent jeans when we head to Ireland in a month.

My hubby lost one pound, so neither of us gets a prize this week. I'll be checking back in next week - I expect to lose at least some of that weight I gained back this week!

K

#149997 - 06/16/08 04:28 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
You can do it
Yes you can
Loose the pounds
And beat the man

One.. two.. three..four
Spit that out an'
Hit the floor

One.. two.. three.. four
Give us nine
Then do some more

Don't give up, DD, you CAN do it.
After Tim Russert's death at 58, loosing weight has been heavy on my mind. Seems the autopsy suggested he had an enlarged heart. The advise that men should have a waistline of under 40" and women under 34" has resurfaced. I'm more afraid for my husband, now at 42", but concerned for myself. I eat pretty healthy, but could improve even more. And exercise, I've forgotten what that was like...

#149998 - 06/16/08 04:30 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Two Four Six ATE
Put it down and beat your mate!

Whattttt?

Hey, I'm a poet TOO! Am too! Am too! NANANANAN...I can't hearrrrr you...nananan....

#149999 - 06/16/08 04:34 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: jawjaw]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
LOL, JJ, you're too much...
Does beating a mate count as exercise?

#150000 - 06/16/08 05:17 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: gims]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Cathy,

Don't forget to do percent of weight loss...most men lose more easily than women...but not necessarily the %.

You're doing awesome!

I know I'm not around much...so I'll answer Orchid's question from a while back...I slowly started changing habits...I didn't have a specific goal for how I wanted to eat other than increasing fiber and water. The more I did it...the pounds started coming off and that gave me the desire to do a little more.

Oh...and Orchid...you'll be proud...I rode about 7 miles on the bike yesterday...nice trail along the Tennessee River...I'm really loving that!

#150001 - 06/16/08 05:38 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jane, love the bike connection to orchid. You go girl!

Kathy, it's okay. Good for you to get back on the horse this morning. Walking with a partner will also keep you accountable. Plus, the whole period thing - I bet most of it's water. Next week that will be gone and I'm hoping you'll be amazed at your weight loss.

#150002 - 06/16/08 06:13 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home!
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Ha-ha-ha - aren't you all the wise and witty group, you crazy poetry nuts!? Laughter takes off pounds too, right? And causes the RIGHT kind of wrinkles.

I'll keep at it, girls, thanks for the support!

#150003 - 06/16/08 07:09 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You go girl, but I personally think you look just fine as is...

#150004 - 06/17/08 03:57 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! *DELETED* [Re: Jane_Carroll]
orchid Offline

Post deleted by orchid

#150005 - 06/17/08 04:04 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I know I'm not around much...so I'll answer Orchid's question from a while back...I slowly started changing habits...I didn't have a specific goal for how I wanted to eat other than increasing fiber and water. The more I did it...the pounds started coming off and that gave me the desire to do a little more.

Oh...and Orchid...you'll be proud...I rode about 7 miles on the bike yesterday...nice trail along the Tennessee River...I'm really loving that!

Hey Jane, keep on enjoying those rides. If you like that route, do it over and over but do it better on some days or go farther.

When you're having fun....then good things happen. Trust me...

I actually have 4-5 different routes of different distances and different things to see..and different fitness challenges. I vary each route if I feel like it. It helps me also to deal with lousy weather to choose a route that is a bit easier and shorter but I'm still on the bike.

Or if I'm suddenly motivated...then I will go farther and longer by choosing another different route.

Cycling is meant to be creative, exploratory exercise for me.

#150006 - 06/17/08 04:38 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Dancing Dolphin, you're probably busy with other stuff than just thinking constantly about food.

So pursue your passions and make food thoughts secondary. Eat less and celebrate with your son in knocking out the unhealthy stuff outta the pantry/from the shoppping list.

#150007 - 06/17/08 07:56 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Orchid you said it!

I remember in my slender days how I would wonder why people could talk so much about food. Food just wasn't important to me then.

Then the big transition came, and it started with the German bakeries! Also the fact that my Hubby is one of those who can go into ecstasy over food...and not gain a pound. I yearn for those days when food was secondary. I agree Orchid, that’s what it is all about.

#150008 - 06/17/08 01:10 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Have you ever noticed that whatever you omit from your life becomes the focus of your attention in a large way? Quit smoking, suddenly you want a 10-foot cig...quit chocolate, suddenly you want a whole cake, quit sex---ah, well, ahem...quit drinking, suddenly, bla...bla...bla.

#150009 - 06/30/08 02:59 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Kathy,

Go Girl...stick with it! Jane has a great point about the percentage thing. A group of teachers at my school put together a Biggest Loser competition with men and women participating. They broke the groups into men and women and worked not just on pound but on percentages as well! They had a winner from each group.

#150010 - 06/30/08 04:05 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: hotflashgal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I blew it when we went to Oregon, but I'm trying to get back on track again. At least I didn't gain it all back. I was good today, going to the gym tomorrow. I wonder how long you have to do this before it becomes any easier? When does it become natural to eat healthy, when you've been eating sweets all your life?

I just don't want to keep having those arguments in my head, like "Oh, one little bag of M&M's won't hurt" "Oh yes, it will, back away and get some celery!" Don't you have those little conversations? Arrgh!

#150011 - 07/06/08 10:15 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I lost 20 pounds last month and am shooting for 8 to 10 this month. I eat low GI foods so I don't get type two diabetes like my Dad. I am prone to diabetes with the way my diet and lifestyle has been.
Basically eat low sugar fruit (berries), lots of veggies and lean turkey or fish.
No white anything and no high sugar fruit or veggies ie: carrots, grapes, watermelon, sweet potatoes etc.
No potatoes at all actually. No butter, condiments of any kind.

I feel a 100% better. Oh also no dairy aside from my breakfast of plain yogurt and blueberries.

I don't snack or eat in between meals. It has not been easy and I have had to be very creative when out with friends. I have avoided invites to dinner at least until I'm stronger.

After one month I find I have little interest in food. I was such a bread and carb eater. Now I don't eat any. I find I have to fill my time with activities which is a good thing and my grocery bill has gone down. All those crackers, cookies, granola bars, packaged food etc. add up on the grocery bill.

I am saving up to buy a bike and plan to ride to work. The hard part is over, cravings have past. But, it is never easy as our society is so food focused. Seems like all invites, activities are around food. Summer barbecues etc. it's everywhere. I just make sure I bring back-up, my water bottle and an emergency food item if I get tempted which is usually a bag of sliced peppers or cucumbers.
Kate

#150012 - 07/07/08 02:12 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: katebcca]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Kathy, I'm so proud of you! During school and wearing nothing but baggy scrubs and no chance to exercise and let's not forget the bag of peanut M&M's I downed once a day, I put on eight pounds. It's too hot to walk here right now so I bought one of those small trampolines and put it in the media room. Better than nothing, right? My dog barks at me while I'm on it.

I've also started lifting light weights. Need to tone up these flabby arms. Not easy.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm pulling for you!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#150013 - 07/07/08 06:58 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kathy, I want an update. HAve you beat him lately?

Kate, good for you. I have two diabetics living in my home right now, and trust me, you don't want the disease. You are wise to avoid it. And it's amazing because it really can be avoided in SOME people.

Dianne, I have a friend who refuses to wear anything with an elastic waist becasue she says once you start wearing them, all you do is gain weight becasue you can't feel the tension on the tummy. I guess it's true, huh?

By the way, I love peanut M&Ms. It's what Ross eats when his blood sugar gets low and he needs a quick bit of sugar. I like being around when that happens because I also eat some.

#150014 - 07/07/08 07:47 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home!
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I'm sure he's been winning, but I won't know for sure for a few days. He's been traveling the past 3 weeks and there is no scale at the condo he stays at. But he tells me he's been to the gym twice a day, so I bet he's looking good!

I, however, am not making as much of an effort. I went to the gym twice last week and walked twice last week. It seems I need to do at least that just to maintain my weight, not lose any. I'll have to bump it up a notch.

However, we leave soon for New York and Ireland, and you know I'll have to sample NY Pizza and there's a LOT of potatoes in Ireland! We'll try to eat well, and we plan on doing lots of walking. Wish me luck...

Kathy

#150015 - 07/07/08 07:53 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Have a great time on your trip, Kathy. And if you do gain a pound or two during your vacation, don't let it discourage you. It will come off quickly once you get back home.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#150016 - 07/07/08 10:04 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Girl you looked GOOD to me when here in Vegas. You are NOT fat so enjoy yourself while vacationing, you can starve yourself if you want to when you get back home. You may only get an opportunity like this once in a lifetime. Blast the diet mumbo jumbo and just have fun...

#150017 - 07/07/08 11:08 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks Chatty, you're a sweetie. I just always compare myself to how I used to look 20 years ago - guess I need to face reality with this weight/age thing. I do plan on enjoying myself immensely!! I'll post a NY/Ireland thread when I return.

Kathy

#150018 - 07/09/08 07:21 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Kathy, have a great trip! And don't even think about dieting while you're on vacation -- it's takes half the fun out of it.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved