The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#150008 - 06/17/08 01:10 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Have you ever noticed that whatever you omit from your life becomes the focus of your attention in a large way? Quit smoking, suddenly you want a 10-foot cig...quit chocolate, suddenly you want a whole cake, quit sex---ah, well, ahem...quit drinking, suddenly, bla...bla...bla.

#150009 - 06/30/08 02:59 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Jane_Carroll]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Kathy,

Go Girl...stick with it! Jane has a great point about the percentage thing. A group of teachers at my school put together a Biggest Loser competition with men and women participating. They broke the groups into men and women and worked not just on pound but on percentages as well! They had a winner from each group.

#150010 - 06/30/08 04:05 AM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: hotflashgal]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I blew it when we went to Oregon, but I'm trying to get back on track again. At least I didn't gain it all back. I was good today, going to the gym tomorrow. I wonder how long you have to do this before it becomes any easier? When does it become natural to eat healthy, when you've been eating sweets all your life?

I just don't want to keep having those arguments in my head, like "Oh, one little bag of M&M's won't hurt" "Oh yes, it will, back away and get some celery!" Don't you have those little conversations? Arrgh!

#150011 - 07/06/08 10:15 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I lost 20 pounds last month and am shooting for 8 to 10 this month. I eat low GI foods so I don't get type two diabetes like my Dad. I am prone to diabetes with the way my diet and lifestyle has been.
Basically eat low sugar fruit (berries), lots of veggies and lean turkey or fish.
No white anything and no high sugar fruit or veggies ie: carrots, grapes, watermelon, sweet potatoes etc.
No potatoes at all actually. No butter, condiments of any kind.

I feel a 100% better. Oh also no dairy aside from my breakfast of plain yogurt and blueberries.

I don't snack or eat in between meals. It has not been easy and I have had to be very creative when out with friends. I have avoided invites to dinner at least until I'm stronger.

After one month I find I have little interest in food. I was such a bread and carb eater. Now I don't eat any. I find I have to fill my time with activities which is a good thing and my grocery bill has gone down. All those crackers, cookies, granola bars, packaged food etc. add up on the grocery bill.

I am saving up to buy a bike and plan to ride to work. The hard part is over, cravings have past. But, it is never easy as our society is so food focused. Seems like all invites, activities are around food. Summer barbecues etc. it's everywhere. I just make sure I bring back-up, my water bottle and an emergency food item if I get tempted which is usually a bag of sliced peppers or cucumbers.
Kate

#150012 - 07/07/08 02:12 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: katebcca]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Kathy, I'm so proud of you! During school and wearing nothing but baggy scrubs and no chance to exercise and let's not forget the bag of peanut M&M's I downed once a day, I put on eight pounds. It's too hot to walk here right now so I bought one of those small trampolines and put it in the media room. Better than nothing, right? My dog barks at me while I'm on it.

I've also started lifting light weights. Need to tone up these flabby arms. Not easy.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm pulling for you!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#150013 - 07/07/08 06:58 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kathy, I want an update. HAve you beat him lately?

Kate, good for you. I have two diabetics living in my home right now, and trust me, you don't want the disease. You are wise to avoid it. And it's amazing because it really can be avoided in SOME people.

Dianne, I have a friend who refuses to wear anything with an elastic waist becasue she says once you start wearing them, all you do is gain weight becasue you can't feel the tension on the tummy. I guess it's true, huh?

By the way, I love peanut M&Ms. It's what Ross eats when his blood sugar gets low and he needs a quick bit of sugar. I like being around when that happens because I also eat some.

#150014 - 07/07/08 07:47 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home!
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I'm sure he's been winning, but I won't know for sure for a few days. He's been traveling the past 3 weeks and there is no scale at the condo he stays at. But he tells me he's been to the gym twice a day, so I bet he's looking good!

I, however, am not making as much of an effort. I went to the gym twice last week and walked twice last week. It seems I need to do at least that just to maintain my weight, not lose any. I'll have to bump it up a notch.

However, we leave soon for New York and Ireland, and you know I'll have to sample NY Pizza and there's a LOT of potatoes in Ireland! We'll try to eat well, and we plan on doing lots of walking. Wish me luck...

Kathy

#150015 - 07/07/08 07:53 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Have a great time on your trip, Kathy. And if you do gain a pound or two during your vacation, don't let it discourage you. It will come off quickly once you get back home.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#150016 - 07/07/08 10:04 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Girl you looked GOOD to me when here in Vegas. You are NOT fat so enjoy yourself while vacationing, you can starve yourself if you want to when you get back home. You may only get an opportunity like this once in a lifetime. Blast the diet mumbo jumbo and just have fun...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#150017 - 07/07/08 11:08 PM Re: Biggest Loser - at home! [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Thanks Chatty, you're a sweetie. I just always compare myself to how I used to look 20 years ago - guess I need to face reality with this weight/age thing. I do plan on enjoying myself immensely!! I'll post a NY/Ireland thread when I return.

Kathy

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved