The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#149867 - 06/03/08 01:34 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Don't you just love teens? Honestly! Moods and habits change with the weather.

I was at a party the other night and the majority of other mothers were younger than me and so were their kids. They were going through all the :

Who can spend the night?
What girls are out there with the boys?
Why does that fifth grader have a cell phone?
What happened at the 5th grade dance the night before?
What movie are the high schoolers seeing - is it rated R?
Will he be able to get in that college?
And on and on!

OMG! I had to laugh and say, "I'm so glad my kids are 19, 20, and 23." I'm so finished with all of that.

Sorry DD. I've been there and done that and still have some of it to deal with even with these ages, but much less. Carry on dear friend. Your son sounds like a doll. I think it's sweet that his girlfriend is a vegan and now they're doing this thing together. Ah, young love!

My FIL has had many girlfriends through the years. with each one, came new ways of cooking, new places to travel, new hobbies, new interests. I've gotten a kick out of watching it.

#149868 - 06/03/08 10:55 PM Re: Anyone here a vegan?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Kathy, you know I'm mostly vegetarian, with emphasis on vegan. One doesn't need fancy foods but they have to eat ... vegetables, or this won't work. He needs to learn to read labels (as I do) and find out what all those ingredient words mean. Trader Joe's, Henry's, Mother's, and Whole Foods are good retail sources in SoCali, but you'd have to check your phone book. I'm pretty sure TJ's is in San Bernadino.

I agree with everyone that he should buy his own products -- so much imitation leather out there, just about anywhere. Also fabric alternatives. He could buy shoes at Payless, belts at Target, shampoo ANYWHERE that's not animal-tested or animal product.

Smile and tell him that you thoroughly support his decision, but you won't buy him anything beyond your usual allotment of clothing, etc. Anything else comes out of his own pocket. And as far as the commitment part -- HE NEEDS TO DO HIS OWN RESEARCH. Boy has a computer, right? HE needs to research non-animal-tested shampoo brands and where they're available locally. He needs to research ingredients and come up with a food plan. He can always ask his girlfriend, I'm sure she'd be happy to offer advice.

Poet and essayist

#149869 - 08/03/08 03:46 PM Dancing Dolphin & vegan son
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
So how is this all working out now for meals? Is he committed to this vegan style with his GF?

And has it affected you and hubby's meals too?

#149870 - 08/03/08 04:15 PM Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son [Re: orchid]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Well, his venture into the vegan world has been stalled for now. He spent a week with his brother in Colorado, then we were on vacation for 2 weeks, and he just couldn't do it while eating out.

He's having a hard time giving up cheese. He does like the rice milk, so he can have cereal now. Not sure if he's going to stay vegetarian, or if he'll make the push towards vegan. School starts soon, so that may affect it too.

thanks for checking on us!
K

#149871 - 08/03/08 05:49 PM Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Mountain Ash Offline

These stages...I would see this while working in High School.
During studies the young people would "discover" about battery hens and intensive farming.A few films changed the attitude for many to meat eating.
Then the Modern Studies teachers would tell about nuclear weapons.And the young people would start to worry...and talk about "Peace" John Lennon was discovered..
Its an interesting time watching these people evolve.
Mountain ash

#149872 - 08/03/08 10:08 PM Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son [Re: Mountain Ash]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
soy cheese is available at all the places I mentioned, although it is a little boring. Better for cooking than eating straight. But at his age, he may not be as gourmet-minded.

Poet and essayist

#149874 - 08/04/08 12:13 AM Re: Dancing Dolphin & vegan son [Re: ]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
LOL, maybe we should do a poll and find out, Anne! It would tie in well with the one about crying....

#149875 - 08/04/08 02:16 AM Re: Anyone here a vegan? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm not a vegan, Dolfin, but I don't eat meat.
I don't know if I'd invest in a new wardrobe for my son on his announcement. What will you do?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved