The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 100 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147744 - 05/05/08 11:06 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I think Humlan has the right idea. We should all get 35-y.o boyfriends!

I'm on line...

Poet and essayist

#147745 - 05/06/08 04:01 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I think Humlan has the right idea. We should all get 35-y.o boyfriends!

I'm on line...

Or the opposite, a guy like my partner who will turn 65 next month and still cycling thousands kms. annually. Seriously, I have a warped perception of "old". Because I'm so accustomed to his level of fitness (which is very good) and some of his friends are his age or older, also cyclists, they are in good health that I find it difficult to physically assess people's age correctly now.

Then I meet some men MY age, I think some of them look "OLD" because they haven't kept themselves in shape much.

His adult children don't worry about their father getting frail yet.... I mean jeez, my partner is cycling 10 lbs. of dog food in the cycling trailer for his adult daughter..he sees it as a wonderful way to be a creative utilitarian cyclist. I'm serious...just like the time he cycled 4 dining rm. chairs on the bike trailer after buying them.

However, he's relieved I don't want children, because he seriously wonders if he has the stamina/energy for wailing/rambuctious baby/child. He's happy with his 2 adult kids. (and so am I)

I believe his children think their father is "old" or his age for some of his opinions. But not for his physical health.

#147746 - 05/06/08 06:21 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Chatty, how to come to grip with a situation like that? It's like a good chess game; the best defence is offence.

You could have yelled back, "Sure thing Grandpa!"
or " Go get an eye operation!" or ...
hmmmm any body got any other ideas?

Whatever...you could decide to take the word grandma as an endearment. The word grandma doesn’t have to mean old. It also means loving, nurturing and a safe haven for many.

#147747 - 05/06/08 11:48 AM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: Edelweiss]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I would love my grandchildren to call me Grandma! Because they're STEP-grandchildren, they just call me by my first name, and call my hubby Papy (the French term of endearment for Grandfather).

But a few weeks ago, we were finishing up a wonderful day's visit with the grandchildren, and were just heading out the door. Hubby's son called to the 18-month-old..."come say good-bye to your grandma"...it was the first time in seven years he had actually acknowledged me in that way. That word "grandma" coming from him really touched my heart. It didn't make me feel old, it exhilarated me.

But I'm not sure how I would feel about someone calling me Grandma in traffic like that, especially if it had any kind of derogatory ring to it...I'd probably laugh it off, and then think of a great come-back - about six hours later!!!

(Maya Angelou)

#147748 - 05/06/08 01:13 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The funny thing is, I was just thinking about the age issue when I logged on this morning. I remember in my preteen years, I thought 15 was old. Then in the teen years, I thought 21 was old. In my 20s, I thought 60 was old. Now, 75 doesn't even look old 2 me. John McCain will be 72 in August and I know some folks in their 70s, and they don't seen old. But McCain lived an era of being a prisoner of war, and an era of mistreatment, and other problems along the way, and I guess that aged him beyond his years. A few years ago, I had a friend in her 80s; and, she looked 60 something. Now, because of abuse, she looks 100 plus. But up until 3 years ago, she colored her hair and dressed to the hilt and looked 20 years younger. Age is a weird thing.
I don't feel my age. Folks say I don't look my age. And, like chatty, I'm having trouble facing the fact, I'm as old as I am. To answer Chatty's question, "I have NO idea how you deal with this issue." And I doubt if anyone else does, either.

P.S. I've known young people that looked old, and old people that looked young. The bent back thing does make a person look over-the-hill!!!!

Edited by jabber (05/06/08 01:15 PM)

#147750 - 05/06/08 08:08 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Anyone ten years older than me is old. I have decreed it.

Ann...I think 87 is the new 77....

#147751 - 05/06/08 09:41 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I would like the gals who came to Vegas to tell me HONESTLY if I looked my age. I was sick that weekend but it didn't make me older just a little less frisky...Please girls, I really want to know. Good or bad!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#147752 - 05/06/08 10:24 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Chatty, I think we ALL look our age and I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm happy being my age because it means I'm still alive.

The next time someone calls you Grandma, you can always reply, "Why thank you! You're such a sweet little boy!"

Poet and essayist

#147753 - 05/06/08 10:55 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Don't forget girl, I have pic's....and I agree with Meredith, we ALL looked our age, me thinks but I was the cutest one. Whatttttttttttttttt? Okay, okay....(tuff room.)

#147754 - 05/07/08 01:00 PM Re: How "old" is "old"? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
jj,
You always make me smile!!!! I've never seen any of you in person, but after reading your posts, I sense you're young at heart! And what sweet, sweet spirits you ladies have!!!
And I'll bet every one of you are youthfully pretty!!!!
If "youthfully" is a word, that is! Otherwise, you're young and beautiful!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved