The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#145467 - 03/25/08 02:51 PM Ourdoor sitting area
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We are in the process of deciding how to create another outdoor sitting area just off our kitchen. I really want it to be private becasue we live in a high traffic area with lots of walkers, workmen, etc.

Here's my problem. I really want it to be a green area with tall bushes or trees as the walls, but the guy we are working with said we can get more privacy with a fence. I really don't want a fence so I'm wondering if I should give up total privacy for a softer look.

Any ideas? I'd love to hear them.

#145468 - 03/25/08 02:57 PM Re: Ourdoor sitting area
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Way up front, we have "desert broom"...a nice, full bush, all across the front fence line. However, just two years ago, we had 7 foot tall cinderblock walls installed in front of the immediate grassy area of our front lawn. We have an acre so between the new wall and the front bushes, there are two pistachio orchards and a huge, tear-drop shaped driveway.

DH felt that walls were the best privacy. We also did them in the back yard as well, bringing the privacy areas closer to the house.

We did have these new walls created in decorative fashion: curved, the tops are adobe-style, a few extra areas that have half circled "niches" where we can create even MORE neat, fun spaces.

Even with a wall, Dotsie, you can add plants to soften. That is what we did!

#145469 - 03/25/08 04:36 PM Re: Ourdoor sitting area [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Di, your wall sounds like it’s a Toscana style. Just beautiful.

Dotsie, we had a wrought iron fence made last year. I didn’t like the idea of a high fence either, but we needed it in front of our hot tub.
So we combined the lower fence with the higher fence, integrating the design. We planted red roses in front of it. (Hope they grow fast). I think it gives an airy effect, but still protects us from curious glances. I designed it myself, and we were lucky to find a company that did it the way I wanted it. Good thing with a wrought iron fence is no maintenance, and it will out live us all.
Here are some pictures; took them 5 minutes ago.

#145470 - 04/21/08 08:49 PM Re: Ourdoor sitting area [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great idea with the different heights. You must love your hot tub. One of these days, I want to get one. I often dream of sitting in them because I love my baths so much. Do you use yours often?

Here's what we've decided. We chose to go with the green look. We are getting big planters that will hold shrubs. The plants be planted close to one another to help with the privacy. We are going to put the planters close together so we have a nice little private area. If we live with this and like it, next we'll have a stone planter wall built and transplant the bushes to the stone planters. The bottom of our home is stone so it will look great. We decided to try the planters first because they are less costly. One step at a time. If we like, then we'll go to the next step.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved