The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143041 - 02/20/08 09:03 PM What activity have you tried & liked?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What exercise-related activity have you tried recently and have continued with it abit/alot?

By the way:
I honestly believe some women just feel self-conscious about how they might look in public if they try a type of sport/exercise that they haven't tried at all or haven't done in years.

#143042 - 02/20/08 09:34 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Walking is what I do for exercise and have joined a community of trekkers many months ago with weekend rambles from town to town. I did not do much of that last year but hopeful to catch up with the gang this summer. I still walk 5 miles a day when I am in town.

#143043 - 02/20/08 11:23 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Yoga and walk.

I don't care "what I look like", I just don't care for other forms of exercise.

Love you new avatar, Lola.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#143044 - 02/21/08 12:39 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Anno]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I walk every morning with one of my dogs (the other dog is a couch potato or should I say recliner queen?) Then I head to the gym 3 (Mon, Wed, Fri) days a week to do a step-aerobic class followed by an hour of weight-lifting. On Tues I take a yoga class followed by a class called "Below The Belt" that is all abs and legs. On Thurs I take a class called "Athletic Training" that's kind of like the Below The Belt class, with some upper body training thrown in. On Saturday I do an hour of weight-lifting.

#143045 - 02/21/08 03:08 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I really like step, but haven't carved out time to get back into it... it's been over two years since my last session, so it would take some effort to get going again.
I am walking with my mom every day now. We walk at her pace, and we've only gotten up to a little over a quarter of a mile (daily) so far. She has to slow every so often to keep her breath, but we've been at it for two weeks. I might go as far as walking for myself (currently we're doing it for her), since the park is so nice.

#143046 - 02/21/08 03:25 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Quote:

I walk every morning with one of my dogs (the other dog is a couch potato or should I say recliner queen?) Then I head to the gym 3 (Mon, Wed, Fri) days a week to do a step-aerobic class followed by an hour of weight-lifting. On Tues I take a yoga class followed by a class called "Below The Belt" that is all abs and legs. On Thurs I take a class called "Athletic Training" that's kind of like the Below The Belt class, with some upper body training thrown in. On Saturday I do an hour of weight-lifting.

You must the strongest of us all on this forum. How long have you been on this regime of different classes at the same time? Or was it something that happened gradually over time where you piled on a new fitness activity to your schedule?

You have "retired" or you are still working outside home or raising grandchildren?

#143047 - 02/21/08 10:03 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I absolutely love to walk but have to leave home to do it! We're on a very busy travel route (and not the best road) from the country to all points in the city.

#143048 - 02/21/08 01:02 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: ladyjane]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

It kind of happened gradually. I started out doing Jazzercise many years ago.....would go with friends after work. When I quit working (when I got married, 16 years ago) I joined a different gym and they had weight-lifting classes (BodyPump) so I would alternate days doing step one day and BodyPump the next. The gym kept adding classes and many of my gym buddies were staying to do two classes so I joined them. I don't work, don't have any kids (just the two four-legged furry ones) and no grandkids. The yoga is a recent addition to my routine......just felt like I needed something different, and since it comes before the Below the Belt class, the timing works out well.......and I'm amazed at how sore I've been since adding the yoga!
I'd like to add that as much as I sound like an exercise fanatic.........I will take a day off if I get a better offer........like lunch or a beach day with a friend.....I'm committed to my exercise routine but I also know I need a break now and then!

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (02/21/08 01:04 PM)

#143049 - 02/21/08 01:32 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is good to see what other women are doing.

I'm a walker, but have only walked about three times in the last two weeks. No excuse really. Maybe the cold, but I've walked in the cold every other year.

We recently bought this piece of exercise equipment called the Elite Orbitrek/ Thane Fitness. Hubby saw it on TV and got it for the nights he doesn't feel like going to the Y, and for me. Here's a link:
http://www.thane.com/products/fitness/or...amp;SiteTarget=

It is the best workout. I can't believe it. It's better than the elyptical at the Y. It sits in front of the TV in the basement. Last night I did only 23 minutes while watching some reality show and my heart was racing and I was sweating. I was up to 30 minutes last week but took a couple days off. Hope to do 30 again today.

I am looking forward to gaining a new sport. I can no longer play tennis because I've torn both ACLS and had surgery. At least my scars are symetric! Anyway, this spring, I am trying rowing at the Baltimore Rowing Company with two neighbor friends. I'm hoping this will be my new spring/summer/fall sport. I have a friend who is addicted to it. She lives in update NY and competes. She took it up at midlife and is hooked. In fact, her boat of boomer women beat their local high school girl's team. How cool is that?

#143050 - 02/21/08 01:34 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

CrossStitch, I want your exercise life. Ha. What fun to get to hang out at the gym. Do you think the comraderie of the other women has helped you stay at it?

#143051 - 02/21/08 06:42 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I wish thinking were an exercise that counted to firm and tone us. But alas, it isn't. Guess I'll stay smart and flabby!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#143053 - 02/21/08 07:50 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have been thinking of walking myself too. I may even try the mall for a change now that I have so much time on my hands...

#143054 - 02/22/08 12:07 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: chatty lady]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Yes, the comraderie and companionship of the other gals at the gym has definitely helped to keep me motivated! We have a great group of women at the gym (assorted ages, lifestyles, etc) and it really helps me to keep going. I'm not much into working out on my own (other than walking with the dog in the morning and that's not really alone!) I am much more into the group exercise thing.

#143055 - 02/22/08 06:27 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Hey Dotsie, I don't know anyting about rowing since I don't swim and am afraid of water.

But read this thread of interest on rowing and types of muscles used:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=5758

Just take each stage at a time. A sister of mine pulled her upper back/shoulder muscle on a rowing machine...it took alot of yoga to cure her.

#143056 - 02/22/08 06:35 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Quote:

I'm not much into working out on my own (other than walking with the dog in the morning and that's not really alone!) I am much more into the group exercise thing.

I occasionally like a group sport/exercise activity or doing something with several other friends...walking, snowshoeing, hiking or cycling.

But I'm the opposite, I prefer just to do my sport/exercise thing ...for hrs. and hrs., or with 1-2 other people whom I know very well.

The motivation when exercising solo is feeling free...and unconstrained by a group pace.

#143057 - 02/22/08 09:17 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, thanks for the link. I felt like a lurker in another forum.

My son thinks I should go to the Y and begin rowing on the machine to get in shape, but I really want to learn the proper way from the instructors at the rowing club. I'll let you know how it goes. Still need the weather to warm up!

#143058 - 02/23/08 11:50 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
orchid Offline

Dotsie the ladies on the link forum that I gave to you in this thread....are an amazing, varied bunch. They love to influence other women in diving into fun exercise.

#143059 - 02/24/08 01:24 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Orchid..interesting thread..and a bit inspiring..which is something I need now in the winter..hard to get the old bod going anywhere else except home after work.

I am really into yoga right now..self taught and I do that almost daily..and, I am ashamed to say, that´s all she wrote right now.

I was an avid jogger and really loved it. But I have trouble with my knees and this has put a stop to that. I am very sad about that because I loved my jogs while listening to music in my ears...O well..

I am going to try that site you suggested to Dotsie..maybe I´ll get some ideas and support there,too??

#143060 - 02/24/08 07:03 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: humlan]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I started golf three years ago. I used to play tennis almost every day, but my knees hated it, and I had to stop. I was sceptical about golf, because I thought it was boring to watch. Now I love it. You can really get hooked. It's also a wonderful way of meeting new people, because you can join others to make a group of four.
I also enjoy walking, and was afraid golf might get the upper-hand, but that isn’t the case. I can only play golf when I’m relaxed. If I have problems or just have things to think over then I walk. And when we are on vacation, we walk from morning to night.

Dotsie have you ever considered golf?

#143061 - 02/25/08 12:40 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Quote:

I wish thinking were an exercise that counted to firm and tone us. But alas, it isn't. Guess I'll stay smart and flabby!

Chatty, haven't they proven that making baskets or homeruns through imagining actually improve a player's game? Wouldn't that apply here? Wish it did. I could stand to loose ##.

#143062 - 02/25/08 12:42 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: gims]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Oh, if only................

#143063 - 02/26/08 03:17 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Bellydancing! I have plenty of belly to dance, but it's fun and aerobic and I can do it at home with a video. 'Course it scares the dogs. . .

#143064 - 02/26/08 02:49 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: AmyDoodle]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I know what you mean Amy, whenever I sweat to the oldies with Richard, my dog goes bananas...She thinks I'm in some sort of pain...well, in truth, I am...LOL!

#143065 - 02/26/08 09:06 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

How about those new stripper videos that teach you how to do a striptease and incorporate real stretching and exercise? I think we should all get them and report back...LOL!

#143066 - 02/26/08 09:10 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Reported in the media today here is the question

Why do teenage girls lose interest in PE in teenage years

There are moves to work out solutions.Obesity is growing here and there is great interest in all aspects of nutrition and exercise.
MA

#143067 - 02/27/08 03:52 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Mountain Ash]
AmyDoodle Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Sweatin' to the Oldies! I had that on videotape and haven't updated to DVD. I loved my Richard workouts. He's just like one of the girls.

(I don't know about teenage girls today, but when it was me in the pre-computerzoic age, our aerobic activity was buying new makeup and trying it all on.)

#143068 - 02/27/08 10:09 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: AmyDoodle]
Mountain Ash Offline

Interestingly one idea given in a debate was that the girls who wore make up avoided PE..
Lots of ideas circulating..I am listening to radio/TV.
These teenage girls are beautiful and so well groomed .I am sure I was less glam while at school.
MA

#143069 - 02/27/08 07:11 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

MA, is the answer boys?

I totally agree about being less glam than the gals of today. I hardly wore makeup at all. NOr did most of my friends.

#143070 - 02/27/08 08:04 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
Mountain Ash Offline

Dont think its just boys..perhaps the adjusting to changing body shape..one thing that was suggested here was tailoring the activity..which meant staff had to retrain..
I was a good all round athlete and around 12/13 was beaten in a race on sports day.My changing shape (hips bust) slowed me .I remember being amazed someone beat me.I even remember who it was.I had to work harder to do what I had been doing.This girl was not yet menstrating and faster.team sports builds such camaradarie that its sad some girls loose out.
I danced right through my teens and soon reached an understanding of my body changes.
Whatever I hope it is worked out.I still get a rush moving my lawns..nothing is quiet like loving using my body well.
Due to my arthritis I have to judge how much I do.Pacing myself.
MA

#143071 - 02/27/08 09:02 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Reported in the media today here is the question

Why do teenage girls lose interest in PE in teenage years

There are moves to work out solutions.Obesity is growing here and there is great interest in all aspects of nutrition and exercise.
MA

Being more self-conscious of changing/maturing body and boys. Also just distracted by other things to try/explore.

But above all, teenage girls like all teenagers have a powerful need to be accepted by their peers and feel secure in an identity that is cool, hip/approachable to them.

I was never into PE as a teenager. A bookish geek but yes, I did love softball and played it informally during recess until I was 11. (in a playing field/playground segregated from the boys) Plus biking at home. Had an interest in field hockey but didn't pursue it much..because I enjoyed much more writing poetry, doing art and reading tons of books as a teen.

The girls that I knew as a teenager who were interested and did some sports ...tended to be the team/group sports. Same gals did well in 1-2 solo sports --a track and field sport.

I actually think it's much more difficult to interest teenagers in solo sports....where performance of the person depends solely on the individual not on teamplay/team performance. Certain sports require extra coaching for individual performance and inner strength of the teenager to keep plugging along in a solitary sport vs. a team sport.

I have thought about this because when I belonged to all-women's cycling group (in my 30's) and was on its organizing committee for a few years, we wondered how we could interest teenage girls in cycling. We just couldn't figure out a strategy because all of us worked full-time and couldn't visit the schools.

What would truly help teenagers, if PE teachers could help teens in their later years, find a sport that matches their personality and mentor them. Not an easy thing, since enough adults have problems finding and sticking to a type of sport that they love..for the long term.

I am not convinced the focus on obesity to motivate teenagers to exercise is the best approach. (by telling teens to exercise so that they lose weight or don't get fat). Pleasure and fun and de-stressing should be more the focus...then the pounds can roll off more easily.

#143072 - 02/27/08 09:29 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

"There are moves to work out solutions.Obesity is growing here and there is great interest in all aspects of nutrition and exercise."

The interest in nutrition includes free school meals for primary 1 2 and 3.Fruit for pregnant mothers as well as tailor made enjoyable exercise.The teachers would need to be trained to cover the diversity of sports.
MA

#143073 - 03/02/08 03:28 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dee Offline

Joined a local small-town gym a week ago...went 5 days...3 worked out with treadmill and then the full curcuit of weight machines (13 of the suckers). My SIL and I joined together and it's much better with someone who can encourage you to go. Then on two days we just do cardio and the stomach torture machine.
What's fun is my SIL. She's grown up in this area and most of the women are baby boomers and so once we get in there they want to gossip and talk about grandkids...we're there about 2 hours or so...half the time talking to other women...it's a lot of fun and a great break from the everyday stuff AND I'm getting healthier...I hope. I've also thrown out all the junk food, fat food and chips...
I'm now making better choices with food and here's the kicker. I had Larry take a photo of me in my underwear and taped it inside the fridge...now whenever I open the fridge door not only do I get a laugh, I also am reminded why I'm doing all of this. The other day my MIL was here and she went to the fridge to get some milk for her coffee...before I could stop her she opened the door, saw the photo and closed the door. She hasn't stopped laughing yet and it's been a week. Thank goodness I had on granny panties...LOL.

#143074 - 03/02/08 03:39 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dee]
Cookie Offline

Good for you Dee! I am thinking of joining a gym too. I have gone to Curves for years and I think it is time for a change. I can't seem to shed those meno(10) pounds that I have gained the last couple of years. That weight hangs on for dear life no matter what I do! I still love to walk daily, but I think I need to kick it up a notch with a different activity.

#143075 - 03/02/08 04:39 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Cookie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
As a teen, I played tennis, field hockey, and was a long-distance runner. Did ballet, tap, etc and ballroom up until we came to US. Haven't danced in years, but had medals that have since been lost with all the moves and the divorce. I remember being so proud of my ballet and ballroom medals. I think being a teenager in a strange country made me want to fit in and not be 'different' as my accent already made me different. I would love to do ballroom again as it was so much fun. But right now there's no time for dance, or gym. I walk when I can, but seem to always find an excuse - it's too cold, too hot. LOL Can't use rain as an excuse as we hardly get any. One day...
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#143076 - 03/02/08 06:49 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: yonuh]
gims Offline

yonuh, where are you from?
I guess, if you've said before, I missed it.

#143077 - 03/02/08 06:55 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: gims]
yonuh Offline

I'm a Brit - born in Wales. My family moved here in the mid-60s. I've never been back but hope to one day, when I have both money and time. Seems like I have one or the other but never both!!

#143078 - 03/02/08 08:12 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: yonuh]
gims Offline

Well, a belated welcome to the USA... and I hope, above most hopes, you get to revisit the soil from which you came. Do you remember much about the place from the years you were there?

#143079 - 03/02/08 09:43 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: gims]
yonuh Offline

What I remember most is the little village in Wales where my mom and I were both born. We visited there at least once a year no matter how many times we moved in the meantime (and we moved a lot!) Mom went back for a visit after my dad died, and she told me it had changed so much it's no longer a little village but a bustling town. I'm not sure I want to see that - I think I'd rather remember it as it was. I was 16 when we came over here, so yes, I remember a lot. I don't think I remember enough to be able to find places, but I still have cousins there to show me, if I ever get there.

#143080 - 03/02/08 11:21 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: yonuh]
Dee Offline

Yonuh...my husband's family is from Wales...he hasn't traced his family but understands that's where they're from. I went to Wales once and fell in love with it. I went to a zoo somewhere there and kissed a monkee. That was weird. I hope you can go back...it's such a beautiful place.

Cookie...I talked to curves and asked them, after you reach your peak on the machines, then where do you go? They said they didn't really have anything else so I stuck with a gym where I can work on free weights if I need to and there's lots more options. You're right...youc an hit a plateau and get stuck where nothing happens..that's when you need to change your routine to rekick your body.
It's only been a week but tonight I ran into my SIL at Wal-Mart and she's very excited about meeting at our gym tomorrow. Me, too. I just hope I can keep going.

#143081 - 03/04/08 02:21 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dee]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Hi all,
this is not about an activity forgive me but just a wee Wales story. My husband is a Brit, born in Chester but they moved to the island of Angelsey when he was about 12. His mum still lives there so off we go every few months for a visit. His children live in Manchester so we grab them and head on up.
It's such beautiful country--plenty of sheep. I have such a great time trying to pronounce the road signs which for the most part are written in Welsh.

Hope you get to go back.

#143082 - 03/05/08 11:30 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: mscoach]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Tried mall walking today and hated it. People everywhere milling about, bumping into each other. No more mall walking for me.
Then I went to the park, they even have a walking track, so walked there and it was great, sunny, cool breeze and they had mowed the lawn so it smelled heavenly. I do believe I prefer biking to walking.

#143083 - 03/06/08 10:36 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: chatty lady]
ladyjane Offline

Oh, Chatty...they MOWED the lawn???????? I can't imagine how wonderful that would be right about now! Our lawn is sitting frozen under about 5 feet of snow....literally. Thanks for the visual!

#143084 - 03/08/08 03:35 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: ladyjane]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I walk our neighborhood.. just up and down our street..back and forth until I reach 4 miles. I love our neighborhood. I know all my neighbors on my street, if not my actual name, by sight, and we wave, say good morning, and hi, and stop and talk. Everyone is really friendly.

And, I just joined Curves. I like it so far. The ladies are friendly. The owner/manager is helpful and knows her stuff. I didn't feel like an outsider when I first started. I was accepted right away. I liked that. For someone with a Social Anxiety Disorder, that made a huge difference to me. I can't even believe I went in and made the effort in the first place.

Anyway, that's what I do. Oh, and I walk another mile in the evening. So, that's 5 miles, 7 days a week.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#143085 - 03/09/08 08:10 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Yep, its finally beginning to warm up here, been in the upper 70's. Soon the flowers will be in bloom and the smells are so nice then.

Vicki thats great and you should see results too. Read a great article, one of many actually in the April issue of Prevention Magazine about how to "walk off 20 pounds easily." With an amazing technique that blasts fat 5 times faster. I wat to go back to Curves as well for the strength training.

#143086 - 03/11/08 01:11 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: chatty lady]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Girls ,

I went up and joined Weight Watchers today and cannot understand the point system at all and the teacher had to leave for a meeting along with the office today so we left early we a wide range of questions . I have their material to read and still don't understand . Weight watchers has a lot of snack food to buy at their place and it is not cheap by all means . I got weighed in and an 30pds over weigh for the height and age . I am not posting what here what my weight is . I will not tell my hubby he will tell the whole world and his office and his sisters . Some men have a big mouth and he is one of them LOL . I have signed up for 10 weeks and want to purchase their cookbook too.

Now, Curves is a good place for me to go too for the Mall walking like Chatty said is crazy . I find more people in my way and walking on the sidewalks are dangerouse here , lot of cracks that you can fall if you don't look down the whole time you are walking .

Now their is a gym here not far from my house that have a low fee and only $10.00 a month that I could use the treadmill and the bike . How much it to join Curves Vick?

One other thing glad your back Vicki Missed you .

Need help Girls .Sorry for the long story , just long winded tonight . LOL

Renee

#143087 - 03/11/08 03:13 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Sadie]
orchid Offline

Quote:

Now, Curves is a good place for me to go too for the Mall walking like Chatty said is crazy . I find more people in my way and walking on the sidewalks are dangerouse here , lot of cracks that you can fall if you don't look down the whole time you are walking .

Now their is a gym here not far from my house that have a low fee and only $10.00 a month that I could use the treadmill and the bike .

Renee

Hope you find Curves beneficial. You may gain some more balance and dexterity to enable to do more stuff outdoors. Not all walking is dangerous...depends where you walk. Please...if my partner's mother was walking over 3 kms. to the grocery store when she was in her mid 80's. And she loved it. This is in Ontario..as much snow as New Jersey.

And I know that you are way younger than 80's.

Maybe you might find an aquaintance at Curves to walk in the park.

#143088 - 03/11/08 03:38 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

There's a saying a squadron in the Air Force had as its logo..."Nothing Happens Unless Something Moves." So true...thus my thighs and big butt!!! Today, after building up with fast walks on the treadmill at a gym, I finally broke through that wall I've had up and started jogging, again. I walked/jogged 3 miles and it felt so good. I started running when I was in Jr. High School There was a Patty Duke movie where she jogged and heard music in her head to help her keep pace that inspired me to run and I ran up until about 5 years ago. Thus my weight gain (with the help of Krispy Kream doughnuts). I want to drop 20 pounds and feel for the first time in five years that I am really doing something that will work. I've changed my diet and work out 5 days a week with my SIL. Baby Boomers are in the gym and we give each other great support...it's fun and I'm truly enjoying this.
To all of you who are taking steps to improve your health..I'm proud of you and keep going.

#143089 - 03/13/08 08:12 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dee]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thanks for the welcome back.. I'm glad to be back as well. It feels good.

Curves isn't "cheap"... There is a one time $99 start up fee and then a monthly fee.. or you can pay it by the year.. I pay by the year so my rate is $34 (per month)

I'm going 3 times a week to start. I think as I get better at it, I might go more often.

Dee, support is right. The women at Curves are so supportive. And so "NORMAL"!!! They aren't a bunch of barbie dolls dressed up in lycra and spandex posing for the muscle heads.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#143090 - 03/13/08 08:16 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Every now and then, they have a registration fee of $39.00 if you donate a bag of food for the hungry.

I was once a Curves fanatic, but then my son got his license, drove himself to school which meant I no longer drove him, and therefore stopped going because I would go immediately after dropping him off. It's in a direction I rarely go now so I'm a drop out.

How's it going Vicki? I loved the camraderie of the women. Everyone was so pleasant ans fun. Have you found that?

#143091 - 06/06/08 02:20 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
Ell Offline

I used to faithfully attend a 6 am workout class -- floor and step -- at a gym center near my home. BUT, last year I fell in the mud helping to move a patio table and tore my Achilles tendon (partial tear; I don't want to think what a full one is like.) Just one of those stupid things. I was in a brace for about 4 months and didn't exercise for more than 6 months. When I (gingerly) decided to get back to *something,* I realized things would have to change; going up and down on a step, which I loved, was probably not a good idea any more (I can still 'feel' it a bit.

Anyway, my daughter got me going on Billy Blanks tapes, and lo and behold, I have become the kind of person who can put in a dvd at home and exercise regularly. I never saw myself as that kind of person, if that makes sense, but I like it! Between the two of us we have at least 10 dvds and switch off: some are slower, some faster, some use an exercise bar. So I'm doing pretty well. Have lost about 8 pounds and good riddance to them.

My other daughter is a trained dancer, has three children, and exercises faithfully at home. I was always amazed at her discipline. I'm not at her level, but it's going far better than I ever would have thought. Oh, and I walk the dogs with my other daughter.

By the way, if any of you are thinking of tearing a tendon, please don't! They take much longer to heal than breaks. If anyone has gotten injured, please accept my heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery.

#143092 - 06/06/08 05:09 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Ell]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Tell us more about Billy Blanks, won't you? I've never heard of him.

#143093 - 06/06/08 05:47 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Billy Blanks does Tai-Bo Kickboxing tapes. I have a few and it's quite a workout!

#143094 - 06/06/08 06:43 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Ell Offline

Dancing Dolphin is so right: it's kickboxing modified for, you know, normal people. It's actually not that hard to do, but any workout, including walking, is serious if you just keep at it. There are a lot of stretches, punches, kicks --no flying through the air or wild stuff -- and he's good about explaining how to do the moves, doing them more slowly, and then speeding up necessary. You might go to his website -- typing in Billy Blanks works fine -- and you can see demonstrations of his routines. It's like everything else, though: you need to find that fit where you think yes! this is me. I have friends who do yoga and I like it and have done it, but I think I get better stress relief by kicking and punching....

#143095 - 06/06/08 09:31 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Ell]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wait a minute...you mean I would have to raise my legs...well, forget that! That is too much like exercise. Whattttt?

#143096 - 06/07/08 11:57 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Once upon a time, many, many years ago, I tried splunking. Now for your novices, that is repelling down a mountain-side (usually) and going in caves and exploring them. It is dangerous, stupid, and downright scary. WHAT A THRILL! I was barely 20 and was with a group that really thought they knew what they were doing. NOT.

God looks out for morons and little children. Thank you Lord. I can remember us going down the side of a mountain, this one time, and going into the cave where the only way you could go through it and come out on the other side was to lay down and wiggle your way through...we came out to this large opening and there were names of outlaws engraved on the walls. A place was carved out on one side where it was told they had a bar set up...The caves name was bangers cave and was known to be an outlaws hideout.

I'm telling ya...it is a wonder we all were killed in there. And the bats! OMGosh!

Anyway, never again. And if I ever heard of my children doing something that stupid, without protective gear and training, I would kill them myself!

#143097 - 06/08/08 02:21 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

You've got more kahoonas name me, JJ...to me that's up there with underwater cave exploring...I'll watch it from the safey of my bed or chair.

#143098 - 06/08/08 02:43 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anybody go GeoCashing? GPS owners hide caches; it's a national pastime. Then other GPS'ers locate the hidden
material, sign-in and hide it for others to find. It's like a scavenger hunt. But you have to be able to read and program a GPS. Folks hide small and/or large caches in hollow trees; vacant buildings; old incinerators; tree roots; guard rails; gazebos; a deteriorating pillar, which once held a bench seat, for example. The hiding places are usually municiple parks, hiking trails, etc. It's fun.
Just wondered if any of you are involved in such nonsense?
I do calisthenics 5 days a week, for about a half hour. And walk 40 minutes everyday, usually twice a day.
Dats it 4 meme!!!
Prayers and blessings...

#143099 - 06/08/08 03:36 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

I could never do caving/spelunking. Any activity in tightly enclosed space, makes me claustrophobic.

I do enjoy and we do hiking in areas where we don't cycle..also goes with snowshoeing in the mountains. But I do have a fear of heights..so I cannot do/cannot enjoy a narrow hiking trail that suddenly drops off the edge when there are no barriers around me.

I would say that because I do so much cycling that I'm probably overlooking many wonderful hiking trails with fantastic vistas in our area.

I also cannot swim and have a fear of water. So that cuts out alot of beautiful kayaking...nearly at our doorstep!

So I'm really glad I enjoy and do tons of cycling because where we live it's naturally beautiful, many outdoor activity opportunities. In fact, there is really no excuse to sit on one's butt when there are the mountains, ocean and lush vegetation/gardens, to see nearby.

#143100 - 06/09/08 03:35 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
As I mentioned in previous posts (I think??) the best exercise for me is ballroom dancing. I took it up 10 years ago and lost 25 lbs. in 6 months. At that time, I was dancing about 3 times per week. That has trailed off, but for my 50th my husband bought me a package of lessons. So as soon as school is out, I will be taking my lessons. I LOVE IT!

I have also started with Leslie Sansone's Walking Away the Pounds program. I do it 5 times/week right in my living room. This past week I walked 15 miles, and in the last month have lost 4 lbs. I have also started to eat much better. I have 21 more to go. I don't always feel like doing it, but once I get my walking shoes on, I am more than half way there. I am determined to get this butt of mine back in shape as well as many other parts that were starting to do a bit too much spreading and drooping!

#143101 - 06/10/08 01:05 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: hotflashgal]
jabber Offline

hotflashgal,
I love to watch people dance. Ballroom dancing is awesome and if Wild Bill would go for it, I'd take lessons. But he won't. My previous post on this thread, should've read:
"Geocaching"; that cashing part was a typo. The thing that amased me about this hobby, was that it is nationwide. Can you imagine: a scavenger hunt that covers the country?
In our last find, someone had placed a coin that came from the State of Washington and we're in Western New York! How cool is that????

#143102 - 06/11/08 02:01 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jabber]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Jabber....how did you discover geocaching?

#143103 - 06/11/08 02:41 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: hotflashgal]
gims Offline

jabber, that sounds like soooooo much fun!!!!
I'm anxious to hear your answer to HFG's question, too.

#143104 - 06/11/08 01:36 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: gims]
jabber Offline

hotflashgal and gims,
I bought Wild Bill, my hubby, a GPS 4 Christmas. He searched the NET 4 help in programming the unit: the mioscripting looks like Greek, 2 me. He has such things as gps status on maps, navigational, cockpit, VBig maps; an expert on GPS told hubby about the nationwide scavenger hunt. It's great. There are like 400 finds, within a 10 mile radius of our house. If you google geocaching, you'll discover a whole hidden world out there. By the way, we don't go into caves. I don't think there are many caves in this area. At least I don't know of any. Most caches are hidden in town and county parks. It's kind of an exciting thing to do; it makes the walks more fun! Our lab loves it; because she runs like a deer in the woods.
Have a great day....

#143105 - 06/12/08 01:19 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Sorry ladies,
That should've been 92 finds within our 10 mile radius.
The 400 would be within a hundred miles. I've noticed geocaching is worldwide. You gals across the pond could get in on the fun. According to geocaching's offical global site, over a half million 'hide and finds' are registered. I guess the reason I mentioned the sport, is because I find it fascinating to know there are [good, innocent] secret societies within society. It made me wonder just how many actually exist. I know the colleges have secret societies within their sisterhoods and brotherhoods. But I doubt if a person would normally think those socialities exist, otherwise. Well, to answer the leading question of this tread: geocaching I've tried and liked!

Edited by jabber (06/12/08 01:21 PM)

#143106 - 06/14/08 02:22 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Someone on another thread mentioned diversions: stuff to get your mind off the heartbreak we face in this ole world.
Well, this geocaching is my fun, right now. While I'm in the middle of a find, I forget about the hurt and agony.
Know what I mean? Do ya, huh?

#143107 - 06/17/08 02:19 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Besides, there's something soothing about being out in the wide, outdoors. U hear the birds sing; U see the blue sky and weeping willows; U smell newly mowed hay and lawns; U feel the soft breeze: It's cool!

#143108 - 06/21/08 09:16 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss Offline

Next Saturday Hubby and I will be entering our very first regatta! It will be an all day sailing race, and in the evening a banquet is set, and rewards will be given.
I wonder? Do they give medals for the last one in? After all that would mean we sailed the longest of all of them.

#143109 - 06/22/08 09:11 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Hope you have a great race next week, Edelweiss! Let us know how it goes.

#143110 - 06/30/08 07:39 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Thanks Orchid. but we couldn't participate. Darn. My son is in Dubai this week. So we didn't have anyone for Anaiya. We need a set of grandparents to babysit her once in while. It's also one of the reasons why I can't visit Anno in Paris.
Oh well. In exchange we have our own little sunshine sprinkling happiness upon us in our daily lives. Don't even want to think of giving her back forever; which will be sooner than we think.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved