The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 206 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143092 - 06/06/08 05:09 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Ell]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Tell us more about Billy Blanks, won't you? I've never heard of him.

#143093 - 06/06/08 05:47 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Billy Blanks does Tai-Bo Kickboxing tapes. I have a few and it's quite a workout!

#143094 - 06/06/08 06:43 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Ell Offline

Dancing Dolphin is so right: it's kickboxing modified for, you know, normal people. It's actually not that hard to do, but any workout, including walking, is serious if you just keep at it. There are a lot of stretches, punches, kicks --no flying through the air or wild stuff -- and he's good about explaining how to do the moves, doing them more slowly, and then speeding up necessary. You might go to his website -- typing in Billy Blanks works fine -- and you can see demonstrations of his routines. It's like everything else, though: you need to find that fit where you think yes! this is me. I have friends who do yoga and I like it and have done it, but I think I get better stress relief by kicking and punching....

#143095 - 06/06/08 09:31 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Ell]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Wait a minute...you mean I would have to raise my legs...well, forget that! That is too much like exercise. Whattttt?

#143096 - 06/07/08 11:57 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Once upon a time, many, many years ago, I tried splunking. Now for your novices, that is repelling down a mountain-side (usually) and going in caves and exploring them. It is dangerous, stupid, and downright scary. WHAT A THRILL! I was barely 20 and was with a group that really thought they knew what they were doing. NOT.

God looks out for morons and little children. Thank you Lord. I can remember us going down the side of a mountain, this one time, and going into the cave where the only way you could go through it and come out on the other side was to lay down and wiggle your way through...we came out to this large opening and there were names of outlaws engraved on the walls. A place was carved out on one side where it was told they had a bar set up...The caves name was bangers cave and was known to be an outlaws hideout.

I'm telling ya...it is a wonder we all were killed in there. And the bats! OMGosh!

Anyway, never again. And if I ever heard of my children doing something that stupid, without protective gear and training, I would kill them myself!

#143097 - 06/08/08 02:21 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

You've got more kahoonas name me, JJ...to me that's up there with underwater cave exploring...I'll watch it from the safey of my bed or chair.

#143098 - 06/08/08 02:43 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anybody go GeoCashing? GPS owners hide caches; it's a national pastime. Then other GPS'ers locate the hidden
material, sign-in and hide it for others to find. It's like a scavenger hunt. But you have to be able to read and program a GPS. Folks hide small and/or large caches in hollow trees; vacant buildings; old incinerators; tree roots; guard rails; gazebos; a deteriorating pillar, which once held a bench seat, for example. The hiding places are usually municiple parks, hiking trails, etc. It's fun.
Just wondered if any of you are involved in such nonsense?
I do calisthenics 5 days a week, for about a half hour. And walk 40 minutes everyday, usually twice a day.
Dats it 4 meme!!!
Prayers and blessings...

#143099 - 06/08/08 03:36 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I could never do caving/spelunking. Any activity in tightly enclosed space, makes me claustrophobic.

I do enjoy and we do hiking in areas where we don't cycle..also goes with snowshoeing in the mountains. But I do have a fear of heights..so I cannot do/cannot enjoy a narrow hiking trail that suddenly drops off the edge when there are no barriers around me.

I would say that because I do so much cycling that I'm probably overlooking many wonderful hiking trails with fantastic vistas in our area.

I also cannot swim and have a fear of water. So that cuts out alot of beautiful kayaking...nearly at our doorstep!

So I'm really glad I enjoy and do tons of cycling because where we live it's naturally beautiful, many outdoor activity opportunities. In fact, there is really no excuse to sit on one's butt when there are the mountains, ocean and lush vegetation/gardens, to see nearby.

#143100 - 06/09/08 03:35 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
hotflashgal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
As I mentioned in previous posts (I think??) the best exercise for me is ballroom dancing. I took it up 10 years ago and lost 25 lbs. in 6 months. At that time, I was dancing about 3 times per week. That has trailed off, but for my 50th my husband bought me a package of lessons. So as soon as school is out, I will be taking my lessons. I LOVE IT!

I have also started with Leslie Sansone's Walking Away the Pounds program. I do it 5 times/week right in my living room. This past week I walked 15 miles, and in the last month have lost 4 lbs. I have also started to eat much better. I have 21 more to go. I don't always feel like doing it, but once I get my walking shoes on, I am more than half way there. I am determined to get this butt of mine back in shape as well as many other parts that were starting to do a bit too much spreading and drooping!

#143101 - 06/10/08 01:05 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: hotflashgal]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
hotflashgal,
I love to watch people dance. Ballroom dancing is awesome and if Wild Bill would go for it, I'd take lessons. But he won't. My previous post on this thread, should've read:
"Geocaching"; that cashing part was a typo. The thing that amased me about this hobby, was that it is nationwide. Can you imagine: a scavenger hunt that covers the country?
In our last find, someone had placed a coin that came from the State of Washington and we're in Western New York! How cool is that????

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved