The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143082 - 03/05/08 11:30 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: mscoach]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Tried mall walking today and hated it. People everywhere milling about, bumping into each other. No more mall walking for me.
Then I went to the park, they even have a walking track, so walked there and it was great, sunny, cool breeze and they had mowed the lawn so it smelled heavenly. I do believe I prefer biking to walking.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#143083 - 03/06/08 10:36 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: chatty lady]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oh, Chatty...they MOWED the lawn???????? I can't imagine how wonderful that would be right about now! Our lawn is sitting frozen under about 5 feet of snow....literally. Thanks for the visual!

#143084 - 03/08/08 03:35 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: ladyjane]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I walk our neighborhood.. just up and down our street..back and forth until I reach 4 miles. I love our neighborhood. I know all my neighbors on my street, if not my actual name, by sight, and we wave, say good morning, and hi, and stop and talk. Everyone is really friendly.

And, I just joined Curves. I like it so far. The ladies are friendly. The owner/manager is helpful and knows her stuff. I didn't feel like an outsider when I first started. I was accepted right away. I liked that. For someone with a Social Anxiety Disorder, that made a huge difference to me. I can't even believe I went in and made the effort in the first place.

Anyway, that's what I do. Oh, and I walk another mile in the evening. So, that's 5 miles, 7 days a week.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#143085 - 03/09/08 08:10 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Yep, its finally beginning to warm up here, been in the upper 70's. Soon the flowers will be in bloom and the smells are so nice then.

Vicki thats great and you should see results too. Read a great article, one of many actually in the April issue of Prevention Magazine about how to "walk off 20 pounds easily." With an amazing technique that blasts fat 5 times faster. I wat to go back to Curves as well for the strength training.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#143086 - 03/11/08 01:11 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: chatty lady]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Girls ,

I went up and joined Weight Watchers today and cannot understand the point system at all and the teacher had to leave for a meeting along with the office today so we left early we a wide range of questions . I have their material to read and still don't understand . Weight watchers has a lot of snack food to buy at their place and it is not cheap by all means . I got weighed in and an 30pds over weigh for the height and age . I am not posting what here what my weight is . I will not tell my hubby he will tell the whole world and his office and his sisters . Some men have a big mouth and he is one of them LOL . I have signed up for 10 weeks and want to purchase their cookbook too.

Now, Curves is a good place for me to go too for the Mall walking like Chatty said is crazy . I find more people in my way and walking on the sidewalks are dangerouse here , lot of cracks that you can fall if you don't look down the whole time you are walking .

Now their is a gym here not far from my house that have a low fee and only $10.00 a month that I could use the treadmill and the bike . How much it to join Curves Vick?

One other thing glad your back Vicki Missed you .

Need help Girls .Sorry for the long story , just long winded tonight . LOL

Renee

#143087 - 03/11/08 03:13 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Sadie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Now, Curves is a good place for me to go too for the Mall walking like Chatty said is crazy . I find more people in my way and walking on the sidewalks are dangerouse here , lot of cracks that you can fall if you don't look down the whole time you are walking .

Now their is a gym here not far from my house that have a low fee and only $10.00 a month that I could use the treadmill and the bike .

Renee

Hope you find Curves beneficial. You may gain some more balance and dexterity to enable to do more stuff outdoors. Not all walking is dangerous...depends where you walk. Please...if my partner's mother was walking over 3 kms. to the grocery store when she was in her mid 80's. And she loved it. This is in Ontario..as much snow as New Jersey.

And I know that you are way younger than 80's.

Maybe you might find an aquaintance at Curves to walk in the park.

#143088 - 03/11/08 03:38 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
There's a saying a squadron in the Air Force had as its logo..."Nothing Happens Unless Something Moves." So true...thus my thighs and big butt!!! Today, after building up with fast walks on the treadmill at a gym, I finally broke through that wall I've had up and started jogging, again. I walked/jogged 3 miles and it felt so good. I started running when I was in Jr. High School There was a Patty Duke movie where she jogged and heard music in her head to help her keep pace that inspired me to run and I ran up until about 5 years ago. Thus my weight gain (with the help of Krispy Kream doughnuts). I want to drop 20 pounds and feel for the first time in five years that I am really doing something that will work. I've changed my diet and work out 5 days a week with my SIL. Baby Boomers are in the gym and we give each other great support...it's fun and I'm truly enjoying this.
To all of you who are taking steps to improve your health..I'm proud of you and keep going.

#143089 - 03/13/08 08:12 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Dee]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Thanks for the welcome back.. I'm glad to be back as well. It feels good.

Curves isn't "cheap"... There is a one time $99 start up fee and then a monthly fee.. or you can pay it by the year.. I pay by the year so my rate is $34 (per month)

I'm going 3 times a week to start. I think as I get better at it, I might go more often.

Dee, support is right. The women at Curves are so supportive. And so "NORMAL"!!! They aren't a bunch of barbie dolls dressed up in lycra and spandex posing for the muscle heads.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#143090 - 03/13/08 08:16 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Every now and then, they have a registration fee of $39.00 if you donate a bag of food for the hungry.

I was once a Curves fanatic, but then my son got his license, drove himself to school which meant I no longer drove him, and therefore stopped going because I would go immediately after dropping him off. It's in a direction I rarely go now so I'm a drop out.

How's it going Vicki? I loved the camraderie of the women. Everyone was so pleasant ans fun. Have you found that?

#143091 - 06/06/08 02:20 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
Ell Offline

I used to faithfully attend a 6 am workout class -- floor and step -- at a gym center near my home. BUT, last year I fell in the mud helping to move a patio table and tore my Achilles tendon (partial tear; I don't want to think what a full one is like.) Just one of those stupid things. I was in a brace for about 4 months and didn't exercise for more than 6 months. When I (gingerly) decided to get back to *something,* I realized things would have to change; going up and down on a step, which I loved, was probably not a good idea any more (I can still 'feel' it a bit.

Anyway, my daughter got me going on Billy Blanks tapes, and lo and behold, I have become the kind of person who can put in a dvd at home and exercise regularly. I never saw myself as that kind of person, if that makes sense, but I like it! Between the two of us we have at least 10 dvds and switch off: some are slower, some faster, some use an exercise bar. So I'm doing pretty well. Have lost about 8 pounds and good riddance to them.

My other daughter is a trained dancer, has three children, and exercises faithfully at home. I was always amazed at her discipline. I'm not at her level, but it's going far better than I ever would have thought. Oh, and I walk the dogs with my other daughter.

By the way, if any of you are thinking of tearing a tendon, please don't! They take much longer to heal than breaks. If anyone has gotten injured, please accept my heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved