The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#143041 - 02/20/08 09:03 PM What activity have you tried & liked?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What exercise-related activity have you tried recently and have continued with it abit/alot?

By the way:
I honestly believe some women just feel self-conscious about how they might look in public if they try a type of sport/exercise that they haven't tried at all or haven't done in years.

#143042 - 02/20/08 09:34 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Walking is what I do for exercise and have joined a community of trekkers many months ago with weekend rambles from town to town. I did not do much of that last year but hopeful to catch up with the gang this summer. I still walk 5 miles a day when I am in town.

#143043 - 02/20/08 11:23 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Yoga and walk.

I don't care "what I look like", I just don't care for other forms of exercise.

Love you new avatar, Lola.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#143044 - 02/21/08 12:39 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: Anno]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I walk every morning with one of my dogs (the other dog is a couch potato or should I say recliner queen?) Then I head to the gym 3 (Mon, Wed, Fri) days a week to do a step-aerobic class followed by an hour of weight-lifting. On Tues I take a yoga class followed by a class called "Below The Belt" that is all abs and legs. On Thurs I take a class called "Athletic Training" that's kind of like the Below The Belt class, with some upper body training thrown in. On Saturday I do an hour of weight-lifting.

#143045 - 02/21/08 03:08 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I really like step, but haven't carved out time to get back into it... it's been over two years since my last session, so it would take some effort to get going again.
I am walking with my mom every day now. We walk at her pace, and we've only gotten up to a little over a quarter of a mile (daily) so far. She has to slow every so often to keep her breath, but we've been at it for two weeks. I might go as far as walking for myself (currently we're doing it for her), since the park is so nice.

#143046 - 02/21/08 03:25 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I walk every morning with one of my dogs (the other dog is a couch potato or should I say recliner queen?) Then I head to the gym 3 (Mon, Wed, Fri) days a week to do a step-aerobic class followed by an hour of weight-lifting. On Tues I take a yoga class followed by a class called "Below The Belt" that is all abs and legs. On Thurs I take a class called "Athletic Training" that's kind of like the Below The Belt class, with some upper body training thrown in. On Saturday I do an hour of weight-lifting.

You must the strongest of us all on this forum. How long have you been on this regime of different classes at the same time? Or was it something that happened gradually over time where you piled on a new fitness activity to your schedule?

You have "retired" or you are still working outside home or raising grandchildren?

#143047 - 02/21/08 10:03 AM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: orchid]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I absolutely love to walk but have to leave home to do it! We're on a very busy travel route (and not the best road) from the country to all points in the city.

#143048 - 02/21/08 01:02 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: ladyjane]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
It kind of happened gradually. I started out doing Jazzercise many years ago.....would go with friends after work. When I quit working (when I got married, 16 years ago) I joined a different gym and they had weight-lifting classes (BodyPump) so I would alternate days doing step one day and BodyPump the next. The gym kept adding classes and many of my gym buddies were staying to do two classes so I joined them. I don't work, don't have any kids (just the two four-legged furry ones) and no grandkids. The yoga is a recent addition to my routine......just felt like I needed something different, and since it comes before the Below the Belt class, the timing works out well.......and I'm amazed at how sore I've been since adding the yoga!
I'd like to add that as much as I sound like an exercise fanatic.........I will take a day off if I get a better offer........like lunch or a beach day with a friend.....I'm committed to my exercise routine but I also know I need a break now and then!

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (02/21/08 01:04 PM)

#143049 - 02/21/08 01:32 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is good to see what other women are doing.

I'm a walker, but have only walked about three times in the last two weeks. No excuse really. Maybe the cold, but I've walked in the cold every other year.

We recently bought this piece of exercise equipment called the Elite Orbitrek/ Thane Fitness. Hubby saw it on TV and got it for the nights he doesn't feel like going to the Y, and for me. Here's a link:
http://www.thane.com/products/fitness/or...amp;SiteTarget=

It is the best workout. I can't believe it. It's better than the elyptical at the Y. It sits in front of the TV in the basement. Last night I did only 23 minutes while watching some reality show and my heart was racing and I was sweating. I was up to 30 minutes last week but took a couple days off. Hope to do 30 again today.

I am looking forward to gaining a new sport. I can no longer play tennis because I've torn both ACLS and had surgery. At least my scars are symetric! Anyway, this spring, I am trying rowing at the Baltimore Rowing Company with two neighbor friends. I'm hoping this will be my new spring/summer/fall sport. I have a friend who is addicted to it. She lives in update NY and competes. She took it up at midlife and is hooked. In fact, her boat of boomer women beat their local high school girl's team. How cool is that?

#143050 - 02/21/08 01:34 PM Re: What activity have you tried & liked?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
CrossStitch, I want your exercise life. Ha. What fun to get to hang out at the gym. Do you think the comraderie of the other women has helped you stay at it?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved