The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#142471 - 02/16/08 07:33 PM A Wet Baby Shower
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
This afternoon my oldest son and his wife held a baby shower at their place. It was also an opportunity for us to see the baby’s room, and admire some new furniture.

Everyone was just getting settled in, ready to dig into the cake, when my DIL’s mother let out a scream from downstairs. Their brand new water boiler in the cellar sprung a leak, and the entire cellar was 2 feet deep under water.

The entire family (about 15 people) formed a chain, sort of like an ant colony, passing books through the cellar rooms and up the stairs to the front hallway. Then we rescued Christmas and Easter decorations, boxes of shoes, old lamps, picture frames, huge cartons of stuff stuff and more stuff. The fire department came to pump the water out, and the company that built the boiler inspected their damage. They squeezed by us, scratching their heads at the sight of giggling adults in the face of disaster. My DIL’s dad is a cut up. He started making up songs to fit the situation. I haven’t laughed so much in a while; just had to share with you all. Gee now I know where the word “Baby shower” comes from.

#142473 - 02/16/08 09:08 PM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
omigosh what a mess! I'm glad everyone was able to deal with the disaster in a productive and not-panicky way.

Poet and essayist

#142474 - 02/16/08 11:26 PM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
These folks actually lucked out in erfect timing....having a house full of helpful guests and people to lighten the mood as all this was going on....a memorable time for sure! Ohhhhh, but what a mess. My husband's garage is currently a wading pool due to the lovely storm....wish you'd all come and help us....to laugh, at least!

#142475 - 02/17/08 07:26 AM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: ladyjane]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
WOW, even though it wasn't the best thing to happen, it does sound like you all had fun...
Was everything saved?

#142476 - 02/17/08 07:30 AM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: gims]
Edelweiss Offline

Other than some soggy books, most of the stuff was saved. Has anyone else experienced a flooded cellar? It really is the pits...almost as bad as a fire.
We had a flooded cellar once, and it took a month to dry out with fans going day and night. Our insurance covered everything...and then some. We got some nice new furniture for the hobby and fitness room at their cost. So it was a bit of luck in an unlucky situation.

#142477 - 02/17/08 12:14 PM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Good grief...what a situation! But you all made the best of it, I can tell. So...they gonna name the baby H2O?

#142478 - 02/17/08 01:55 PM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I love that this turned into a giggle fest rather than something else. Way to go, girlfriend. Sounds like a great bunch on in-laws.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#142479 - 02/18/08 02:00 AM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: Anno]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hannelore...doesn't surprise me that you guys made lemonade out of lemons...you have the most incredible positive spirit of anyone I know...and you've surrounded yourself with the same kind of optimistic, happy folks...way to go!!! When's the baby due?

#142480 - 02/18/08 08:21 AM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: Dee]
Edelweiss Offline

Haha JJ, right H2O standing for; Hannelore the Second Oddball.
Dee...that's sweet of you to say, but we have our stress moments like every family. Maybe I should talk about those as well, but I sometimes prefer ignoring them.
The baby is due the end of this month. I can't get over the ultrasound pictures. They are so clear. We can see already that he/she resembles my son to a tee. It's incredible.
I hope it's a girl. The parents want to be surprised.

#142481 - 02/18/08 06:02 PM Re: A Wet Baby Shower [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Another grandchild for Hannelore. Can't wait to see all the pictures! You'll have to cahnge your photo to one that has a child on each knee.

I can't imagine having soemthing like that happen with a home full of company. What great sports.

Yes, our basement flooded once. We pulled up all the carpeting, had to replace the bottom of the walls (talk about tricky) then got a brand new basement which I now love!

#142482 - 02/21/08 01:21 AM Re: A Wet Baby Shower
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We had a sump pump in our beautiful basement when living in Illinois on the lake and every now and again the SUMP would stop PUMPing and oh lordy what a mess. MY office was also down there and luckily before the entire basement could flood theyd manage to get it going again. I hated that darn sump pump!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved