The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#14187 - 12/24/05 07:37 PM Re: How can I help this woman?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Chatty, I realize my conversation with her may not open her eyes at all. My main concern is that she wants to get a dog and I'm concerned for the welfare of the animal.

Daisygirl

#14188 - 12/25/05 05:26 AM Re: How can I help this woman?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh brother just what some poor animal needs. Hopefully you can talk her out of it, messy, smelly, expensive etc. Those reasons though not especially true may diswade her....I hope so.

[ December 29, 2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#14189 - 12/29/05 05:50 AM Re: How can I help this woman?
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
My ex- is an alcoholic and my son, 19, is a drug and alcohol addict who has been using on and off since he was 8. He's currently in jail.

And I love him. And I have seen progress. Ironically, he's also seen progress in me.

It's a fine line to love/like the person and hate the disease. To say, lovingly and kindly that you can't support someone in getting a dog and wish them well. To set boundaries that say, no, you cannot call me after you have been drinking, but please call any time you are sober.

I pray for my son and ex-husband all the time. I also keep working on myself and the things that I need to do to improve my own life.

As Di said, take what you like and leave the rest. (I love that saying!)

#14190 - 12/30/05 05:23 AM Re: How can I help this woman?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Guess I was thinking only of the poor innocent dog and what it might have to go through being owned by someone who can't seem to care for herself yet. I am the one that usually has to pick up the pieces of these abused, neglected animals and believe me it isn't a pretty sight so forgive my less than fuzzy concern about the addicted person here.

#14191 - 12/30/05 06:41 PM Re: How can I help this woman?
Daisygirl Offline

Chatty, IMO, a dog should not be with a person who cannot care for herself. I will do everything in my power to disuade this woman from getting the dog. For one thing, as long as people are not truthful with her she will continue her behavior. I promise I will be gentle and kind.

Daisygirl

#14192 - 12/30/05 09:03 PM Re: How can I help this woman?
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Daisygirl, Thanks for caring for both the dog and the woman -- what a nice person you are!

If what you say to her doesn't make a difference (and I am hoping it does), you can feel good knowing you did what you could.

Blessings

#14193 - 12/31/05 05:56 AM Re: How can I help this woman?
LuckyLady Offline

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
ChattyLady, I feel as you do. I rescued the most beautiful solid black Lab pup about 2 weeks ago and the whole ordeal ended yesterday. She belonged to a drug and alcohol addicted woman that couldn't care for her child much less the dog. It became a control issue, but the happy ending occured yesterday when my friend gave her a $500.00 cashiers check for the dog. My friend now has 21 dogs and cats! She does live in the country. We had a celebration lunch today. LL

#14194 - 01/02/06 05:11 AM Re: How can I help this woman?
Daisygirl Offline

The lady who wants the dog went to visit her son over the holidays and he had a 6 mo. old black lab. he-he-he........ God is good! She is rethinking the dog thing and realizes now how much work it would be, especially since she lives in a condo. I reinforced that fact and other bad things about having a dog.

No worries here....
Daisygirl

#14195 - 01/03/06 03:54 AM Re: How can I help this woman?
deb k Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hi Dotsie
Yes, he did show up at my brother's home. I was surprised and it was good to see him, as I fear he won't live much longer the way he lives. It was hard to see how much he has deteriorated. He looks so rough - no teeth (lost his choppers), rough skin and so skinny. I'm glad he came.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved