The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#13986 - 01/02/07 01:01 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Cathi,

I only smoked for less than 6 months in college (back in 1815!) and even then I never smoked a pack a day...usually threw them away because they got stale.

And yet, it was very hard to quit...I did some revenge smoking for a few months when I would get mad at my fiance...I quit because of him...

Other than the patches and gum and anti-depressents that are used for smoking cessation...one technique that I have read about is to spend time visualizing yourself as a non-smoker...see yourself doing all your activities without a cigarette...see yourself taking deep breaths of fresh air in and feeling wonderful...see yourself healthy, getting a great report at the doctor...see yourself managing your stress in other more positive ways...

Obviously, I read this after I quit smoking...so I don't know how good it works...but it makes a lot of sense to me...focusing on what you want!

Good luck with the move!

#13987 - 01/02/07 01:08 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Jane_Carroll]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
For me, the best way is cold turkey, just stop. The patches create another problem for me when it's time to stop using them.
The gum worked for me once because I simply switched to regular gum and tricked myself into thinking it was the nicotine gum.
I'm going to try Jane's theory, and JJ's (when I'm ready)
I'm hoping I can get myself ready soon!
I did promise my Dad, but even he said that I should do it, when I'm ready.
Wise men, our fathers!

#13988 - 01/02/07 06:11 PM Re: Smoking [Re: TVC15]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Oh I am so glad to see this topic and I totally sympathize with all of us who want to quit. I am due to see the smoking cessation clinic on Thurs to discuss motivation and Zyban...this time I am going to hit it from all angles, celtics guided hypnotherapy cds,patches and a strange mouthwash that I bought before the hols. It works on the premiss that after you swish about 5mls of it around your mouth...instantly ...the taste makes it impossible to smoke. In some respects it should not have worked on me as I have no sense of taste(just memories)....but it sure did. It was thee most foul thing!!! I will post the name of it later if anyone wants to know. That Alan Carr does a book for women and I would recommend it highly...once I got to chapter three....my heart rate would soar and I would hide the book as I knew after that I was not gonna be smoking. I have tryed so many times and have had some success.....this time I have no choice,I have chronic asthma and pulminary airways disease.... that's why I am being given Zyban. So I too am on my last legs with the fags.....I hope this will be an ongoing thread. Keep up all who are doing and trying and well done all who have suceeded.

Popea
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#13989 - 01/02/07 07:17 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Poppie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I did not want to post until I can be sure of end results. I think I can safely do that now. My youngest sister, who came to town for the holidays, has been smoking heavily since her husband passed away late summer of last year. I am not a smoker and suffered from asthma when I was younger so, I cannot be around smokers. So, my sister would smoke in the backgarden. As no one else smokes in my family, my sister was often alone outside smoking her heart and lungs away. Then, it started to rain in London all New Year's Eve. There was no other place where she could go to for a cigarette except the backgarden. It is Day 3 for her today. Her cigarettes have been in the fridge since New Year's Eve. Don't ask me why but it is. I'm afraid to ask her in case she focuses on it and lights up again. Nevertheless, I hope Day 4 would likewise be smoke-free. Failing that, I pray for rain.

#13990 - 01/03/07 01:02 AM Re: Smoking [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You girls have my full support and trust me, I know how you feel...honestly! Let me give you a glimmer of hope or maybe I should just say it's something to look forward to?

After I had ceased smoking for a few months, something strange happened. When I was within a few feet of a smoker, I could smell it. It was ULGY. I am not lying. I was flabbergasted. I can remember standing there just amazed! I can also remember saying silently to myself, "I smelled like that?" I was devastated. I begin noticing it more and more. Going into stores when people would pass by, I could smell a smoker. Since I had gained weight, I wasn't wearing the same clothes as I did when I smoked, so I can remember going to my closet and pulling out a few "skinny" clothes...PU! More of that smokey smell...old cigerettes, and the like. So I learned something from this.

I learned that THIS is what I smelled like to NON-smokers. It was a wakeup call for me. It reinforced my resolution to never smoke again and I can honestly say I have YET to regret it.

I asked several of my NON-smoking friends why on earth they EVER let me smoke in their homes or their cars knowing the smell I would leave behind. They said, "because we wanted to see you, and have you here." How lovingly, but....

So...the reason I'm telling you this is NOT to say you stink. Please don't take it that way. I'm telling you this to let you know that you will not believe the difference in the atmosphere EVERY WHERE once you quit. It's great!

Praying for all of you!

#13991 - 01/03/07 03:31 PM Re: Smoking [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This is a little off topic but in AZ they are trying to pass a bill where you can only smoke in your car or your own home. They are making it more difficult so maybe that would make it easier to quit. It's such a strong addiction!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#13992 - 01/03/07 03:47 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
In Minnesota I expect to see a state-wide ban on smoking by this time next year. They are even thinking about making parks no smoking.

I originally quit smoking because of laws that would not allow smoking in schools - and I was working in schools. I quit for 10 years and then one day, started smoking again. This is my year to quit, again and permanently, I just have not picked the date yet.

I remember smelling other people too, JJ. It was amazing. Thanks for the reminder, it is one more piece of motivation.

Good luck Popea - it sounds like a good choice to quit sooner rather than later. Wishing you the best.

#13993 - 01/04/07 02:38 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Anno]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
That smell is definitely a good reason to quit. When I quit I noticed it too but when I wanted to start up again, it started to smell good to me. Weird, right?

#13994 - 01/04/07 02:45 PM Re: Smoking [Re: TVC15]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
The smell is comforting to a smoker and disgusting to a non-smoker. I don't think until you have quit for an extended period of time, that you begin to be repulsed by the smell.

Money is going to be my motivation. I am going to make a list of everything I can buy with the money I save. Then I am going to save it and actually purchase the stuff! Hmmmm. Now, just a date to quit.

#13995 - 01/04/07 02:51 PM Re: Smoking [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Anno, GREAT POINT! How could I overlook the money part? Duh! The cost has gone up and up and I don't see any change for that. In Alabama, just about ALL restaurants are non-smoking and most working facilities. All Hospitals are and most of them have a designated place for smokers.

I remember right before I quit noticing that the smoking areas were smaller and smaller. I still remember the feeling I got when I would go to one of these designated places to smoke...I felt like a criminal. Isn't that awful that one should feel that way? I don't like that and would never, ever, make someone feel that way simply because they smoke! Good grief.

I remember adding up the cost and it was in the thousands that I would save each year by quitting. But in reality, it doesn't matter how much you save, what you smell like or anything else we say IF one is not ready to quit. AND...more importantly, people shouldn't forget that this IS an addiction! It's hard and people motivated to quit should be given all the support they need or request.

Amen.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved