The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#136360 - 01/02/08 05:39 PM When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a _______
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Of course I wanted to be a dancer and singer! As long as I can remember I was dancing to my radio and singing into a microphone my grandfather gave to me! I used to turn off the T.V. and say "watch me!" This practice gave me quite the slaps from my parents but I tried anyway!

What about you?

dancer

"Question your privilege"

#136362 - 01/02/08 06:57 PM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a _______ [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Wow, Anne, that's a lot judgement coming from your parents! To cover your ears when your daughter sings will NOT give her confidence.

My touring life has been drug free, I slept eight hours a night every night, which shows now, and I don't drink. Not everyone falls into that, but it makes good copy so they write about those who do.
I can name some biggies who stayed off that path. Van Morrison comes to mind. It's sad the way everyone judges the life of an artist as impractical and as a life of excess. I could not have danced if I was excessive about anything! I'll bet I am in better physical shape than most of my peers for taking good care of myself!

Again, it's sad that your parents would judge a career in art and I always find it sad.

I hope you sing now, loud and strong! I hope you keep singing and even find an outlet for it.

As to caretaking, I know you can find a position in Arizona. Although you may want one ahead of time, there are too many out there to miss!

Would you like me to talk to my mother's caretaker who has many houses where she employs caretakers about the business next time I talk to her?

dancer

#136363 - 01/02/08 07:37 PM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

I wanted to be just like Beryl Grey the ballerina.I had a Girls annual and the book opened at the full size picture of her in swan lake.
I also wanted to be a missionary.
Mountain ash

#136364 - 01/02/08 07:42 PM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: Mountain Ash]
dancer9 Offline

Mountain Ash,
With your personality, I could see you do both.
The nice and relaxing sounds of ballet would
suit you well.
It's never too late!
dancer

#136365 - 01/03/08 12:10 AM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: dancer9]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I wanted to be a missionary and save the world. I'm laughing at that now.

#136366 - 01/03/08 02:03 AM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

Gimster
I wanted to go to Africa..I have met a wonderful friend who did to to Malawi as a physio.She tells me about it.Nearest I got.
Perhaps I heard so much about David Livingston at school.
Mountian ash

#136367 - 01/03/08 03:51 AM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
in another family.

#136368 - 01/03/08 05:28 AM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: Dee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Ouch, Dee.

From early grade school until I was in my early 20's, I pretty much figured I'd be a mathematician. Keep in mind that this was 1950's-1960's. The odd thing is, everyone who knew me then (family, teachers, friends) thought I'd be a nuclear physicist.

When my hands are too arthritic to make jewelry, and I'm physically too feeble to do my speaking gigs, I think I'd like to go back to study my early loves. So much has changed in both fields in 4 decades. I attend special lectures every few months at UC Irvine school of science and medicine, but it's more for entertainment information than serious studying. Occasionally I pick up a book on quantum mechanics, but again, just for enjoyment.

I think I also wanted to be an inventor.
And a boy.
And a farmer -- which seemed very exotic to a girl from NYC -- for a very short time, until someone told me that I'd have to wake up before dawn to milk the cows.

Poet and essayist

#136369 - 01/03/08 10:58 AM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I wanted to be a nurse, then a doctor, then a radio broadcaster (my "future plans" beside my senior photo in the highschool yearbook said "broadcasting school"). My life has paralled a lot of these things but none were exact.

#136370 - 01/03/08 01:31 PM Re: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a ___ [Re: ladyjane]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I secretly wanted to be a writer. But who knew I'd end up with PTSD and that would scramble some of the creative processes. I never told anyone I wanted to write. But the desire was deep inside. I also wanted to be a singer but I can't sing. I wanted to be an actress but I have stage fright. So there you go!
The Divine Ms. M sounds like a BRAIN...!!!! You go girl!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved