The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#134623 - 12/16/07 01:21 AM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: dancer9]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
No, not us, but please, make me over! What I don't like is when I get a very young woman at the Clinque counter who I can no longer identify with. I would love a professional make-over. I've used Clinique for years, and it helped to save my skin. So now what is a good brand, now that some of us, but not me and you, have gotten older? My 101 year old grandmother still puts on lipstick when going to the doctor.

#134624 - 12/16/07 05:09 AM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I wore makeup 2 days ago, for lst time in last ....1.5 months. It was for a job interview.

I'm not kidding. And I work in an environment with predominantly men. Men notice me in my cycling gear...not my makeup. This is when they comment..or when I get a haircut.

I choose Marcelle or Almay for foundation and moisturizer --when I do wear it. Same for blush. This makeup plus lipstick must be fragrance-free.

No eye makeup for me. I've never tried eyeliner nor want to at this point in life. Mascara was over 25 years ago. I still don't wear mascara even when dressed up for a party.

...I have natural black eyelashes and brows. So there's enough definition. I thank my mother ..for inheriting larger dark brown/black eyes (compared to my father).

I prefer to focus on a haircut that makes me look alert and alive.

Lipstick tends to be terra-cotta red-brown shades or deep-purple pink shade with abit of shine. I can't wear bright red lipstick shades at all...my face is wide and it accentuates my lips,...which are full already.

I prefer lipstick with just a bit of shine or matte.

One thing I have noticed is that I now have to choose blush shades that are deeper in colour because my overall skin tone has changed..ie. darkened in the past few decades. I was amazed to learn how strong a blush colour I need for even a little for a wee glow on me. I could nearly walk over to the makeup counter for shades aimed at light black women.

#134625 - 12/16/07 10:43 AM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
dancer, I just love your tips. I wear dark green (which appears brown/black) liner from the center to the outer eye on lower lid only, and brown/black mascara on the lower lid. Today, I am going to experiment a bit to see if I can do without it. Thanks.

I always keep my finger and toes doen in the summer, but must admit that I need both done now. Thanks for the reminder.

I appreciate the way you want us to continue to care for ourselves. You are so very right.

#134626 - 12/16/07 01:15 PM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dancer, thanks for the tip on mineral powders, rathern than regular powder. Are there any other brands you may recommend other than Bare Minerals?

I, too, have switched from using foundation, and prefer a tinted moisturizer, i.e., Neutrogena or Clinique.

Also, thx for the mascara tip, I'll be certain to forgoe wearing on the lower lashes and be certain to curl the upper.

I do not like fingernail polish, prefer the natural look; however, I do paint my little piggies in the summer. Since I paint outside the lines, nice neutral colors from Sally Hansen work well!

#134627 - 12/16/07 05:26 PM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Mustanggal,
I haven't tried any but the bareMinerals brand. I have heard of others and some that are more expensive, some less. If you find one you like that is less expensive, maybe you can share it! The powder from bareMinerals lasts a LONG time so if you invest in it, it will last.
You really only need the powder with color in it,(22.00)
and if you want a blush, they are about 14.00 and eye shadows are about 12.00. You can get the Mineral Veil for on top of the color if you'd like, or not! You can buy the kit, which is the best deal because you get the brushes and everything to get you started! It gives you two jars of color and the brushes for a blush it includes and a brush for the powder for your face. It's a good buy.
If you google it, you can find the kit and again, that's the way I'd go. One investment is all you really need to make and that is still lasting me although I went to get a new blush just to try another one.
Good luck!
dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#134628 - 12/16/07 05:37 PM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older
dancer9 Offline

Dotsie,
Remember to use what you want on your upper lids and limit your eyeliner, if you use it, to the top lash line if you can. If you must line your lower eye, line it from the center to the outer corner and not all the way. If you get used to no liner on the bottom, and no mascara, you will find it softens you and makes you look much younger which is not cheating, it's you naturally!

The more we can flatter our natural selves the better we look as we get older. Self esteem does not stop in our minds, we should take care of our bodies and put effort into them the same way we do our minds! If we care about the whole package, it shows and it helps us feel great all around!
I believe in caring for the body like all Italian/French women which is how I was raised. French women never get tired of the salon and take care of themselves all of their lives, visiting the salon with their daughters and grand daughters! Italian women are the same. I was taught this way.
I'm about to put some body tip in the fashion forum soon to help us take care of them that maybe no one has thought of.

Again, we should respect what we live in, our bodies and minds are one.

I'm pleased if anything I put here works for you! Let me know, it keeps my spirits up to know someone is helped by these tips!

dancer9

#134629 - 12/16/07 05:47 PM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Orchid,I, too, have dark eyebrows and eyelashes, I have black of both. I also have dark hair, black, really. I can go without mascara and liner as well. We have to remember our sisters born with light eyelashes who have eyes that don't show up well without something on the tips! We can't imagine that but that is thier coloring!

I agree with your approach mostly but I do put a brush of mineral on my face to even out my skin tone and give my face a sort of sheen. I often curl my eyelashes to open up my eyes. I forgo eye liner and mascara as well because as I mentioned before, I can. Still, I like the look of skin that is healthy and cared for.
The hair cut is crucial for our look to be pulled together and I saw yours in the photos. It's a great cut for a small boned woman and suits you well! If you look at my site you can see that I wore my hair very short but stylish, ( I was a hair model internationally for 15 years,) to go with my thin body. Your hair is very flattering!

dancer9

#134630 - 12/16/07 05:58 PM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: Princess Lenora]
dancer9 Offline

I can help, Princess,to make this for you, can you answer a few questions?
What do your days consist of? What do you do most days?
How do you wear your hair and are you stuck on that style?
Is your photo pretty much how you look now?
Do you hate make up?
What do you wear more of, pants or dresses?
Your skin color, is it light or medium?
What is your race of origin?
What do YOU think needs changing?

If you answer these questions I can give you a list of things to try.
I'd be happy to help, and anyone who wants to have suggestions needs to give me a bit of you to work with so it fits YOU and not someone else!
dancer9
P.S. We could work by email but it would be fun for the boomer sisters to have a "look," at a new you!

#134631 - 12/20/07 04:41 AM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: dancer9]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dancer, you'd be so much fun at a pajama party. I can go girly, or I can go horse back riding. Right now I dress for work, but no longer in suits. I wear Chico's, Coldwater Creek, and Talbots. I love sequins, beads, bugles, fringe, and doo-dads on my clothes. I'd prefer Bohemian to tailored, but I don't like long skirts. I wear more pants these days only because shoes (all shoes) hurt my feet, and I can't wear heels. I do have a bit better luck with the Clark brand of shoes. Good thing they have a 30 day return policy! I do not hate make up. I wear a Clinique foundation, and when that is gone, I'd love to invest in the Minerals I saw an ad on TV. I am a light skinned Italian so that I wear the lightest shade of foundation of any brand. I look best with pixie type short hair, but it's been a while since I had a hair cut. Yes, I do look a lot like that picture. I do want a shorter more Kickie bob. My real problem is with under eye concealer. I have very dark circles, part of the genetic code. Right now I am using the Clinique concealer that comes in a tube like mascara but has a foam tip. It is only serving to INCREASE the appearance of under eye wrinkles. My under eyes look like flesh colored cracked egg shells glued on my face. I am hairy like a guerilla, so I need to wax the hairs on my chinny-chin chin. Except for my head of hair, which is very thin. Hey, "salon" is a French word, just thought of that. I did try not lining my eyes, like you said, but so far just got down to the half way lower lid. I do not like blush as it seems to stand out too much on my fair skin, so this summer I tried a Clinique bronzer. But you know what? The bronzer seems to be for more autumn colored complexions, and I am a winter. What is this brush on lip liner you mentioned? I love these tips. Please keep them coming if you want!

Edited by Princess Lenora (12/20/07 04:49 AM)

#134632 - 12/20/07 12:31 PM Re: Ideas for changes in make up when we're older [Re: Princess Lenora]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I too am struggling with dark circles....my thinning, aging skin. I've tried everything but it doesn't do what it used to. Also, would love a discussion on haircuts. I'm on the verge of wanting something....but not sure what I should do. My hair is very fine but plenty of it (according to my hairdresser) so I have to stick with layers.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved