The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#132300 - 11/21/07 10:09 PM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: dancer9]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I googled both of them. Still, not having much experience with mental illness, it's hard for me to put a label on, even though it seems obvious to all that he's just not "right."

Poet and essayist

#132301 - 11/21/07 11:44 PM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: meredithbead]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Your right,Meredith, he should be seen by someone and diagnosed. It could just be that he doesn't care!
Whatever is wrong, I'm so sorry.
dancer

"Question your privilege"

#132302 - 11/22/07 01:27 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: dancer9]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
if having knowlage of his condistion helps you in anyway withn the situasion then it might be usefull, otherwise its onlie a lable you know about but that in itself might not do much. You have good intusion Merbead and trust itif you think something amise then go with your feelingsa on it, afterall you know him well enough.

Apart from cousing trouble with your siblings and hopefullie that being healed in some way. What would you like to see for your brother and you mother individualie. Is it for him to stand on his own two feet, do you think he is capable of such things. Is it he just stop lieing and manipulating. Dose he manipulate just your mother or any familie member he gets close too. Just wonderring how you like to see it pan out in the long run. Is he capible of looking after your mum would you as a familie trust him to do so?
i know questions questions questions lol.

#132303 - 11/22/07 01:29 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

DANCER
what was your experinces with PPD and how you get through it undiagnosed and with no meds. Did you have any understanding of it at the time or did you just feel you weer going crazie or worse you weer just a bad person, due to some of the thoughts that went on or rather can go on?

just inviting ya to share in case your feeling shy,

#132304 - 11/22/07 01:30 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

LADIEJANE
when you look back at that time how do you feel about it now?

#132306 - 11/22/07 04:49 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Pretty horrendous that the police would be called in for a very depressed/suicidal person. That would be only necessary if the person was physically hurting someone else or destroying property which could hurt a bystander (ie. smashing windows, furniture, etc.)

I honestly see for alot of people, the use of drugs, only for a short-term. But counselling for a longer time period. How did I cope without drugs...I guess in my heart, despite my depression at time, I knew that in my heart, the problems lay in ...becoming an adult, asserting my own identity and independence of my life decisions away from pressuring parents/their expectations.

Drugs probably would have made me lethargic and unable to study...I hear this too much from people who are treated with drugs for temporary/or whatever for depression. To me, that is even scarier.

Just give me an excellent counsellor. And I did have one. Counselling sessions for me was thankfully was free...because she was part of the university's counselling /therapeutic staff for tuition-paying students on campus like myself.

I regretted never using any of the university's fine exercise/sports facilities at all during my 5 years there,...but their counselling staff and their expertise, can be a lifesaver for many students who are struggling to find themselves.

As we all survivors know, the scariest and hardest is taking real action beyond counselling/drugs, to improve/lift oneself up to walk well again.

#132307 - 11/22/07 05:49 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: dancer9]
MotherWarrior Offline

My son was diagnosed with early onset bipolar disorder at the age of 12. He is now 19 and his current psychiatrist just told me he thinks he has a thought disorder instead of a mood disorder, meaning he thinks he's schizophrenic. We're awaiting neuropsych test results, but he sure doesn't seem schizophrenic to me and his symptoms seem to fall under those of early onset bpd. But docs are extremely reluctant to go with that diagnosis because, I think, they don't know enough about it.

See my blog at www.motherwarriors.blogspot.com

#132308 - 11/22/07 05:54 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: dancer9]
MotherWarrior Offline

Yes! My son was diagnosed with early onset bpd at age 12. Having a mental illness made him high risk for drug addiction. We tried, but failed, to prevent it. He is now recovering from his addictions and is dealing with his bpd. It's tough, but getting better due to his maturity and sobriety. See my blog about adolescent addiction at motherwarriors.blogspot.com

#132309 - 11/22/07 11:45 PM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: MotherWarrior]
dancer9 Offline

Motherwarrior,
Thank you for posting about your blog, I can't wait to read it. I'll bet you are full of information and your experiences are very interesting and helpful to others!
dancer

#132310 - 11/23/07 12:07 AM Re: Has mental illness affected your life? [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

You sound like you are very lucky and very strong! Somehow I picture you like that!
I'm glad you got through that time in the amount of time you did and were able to continue your life!
dancer

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved