The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#129441 - 01/14/08 08:16 PM older women: cycling-response to chatty,Hannelore [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Before I answer to my own changed topic title above to chatty, would like to respond to Hannelore:

Wow, that is a long bike trip if your family didn't do much cycling prior to the castle trip. Yes, sounds memorable. Yes, we've had the occasional day that it rained while cycling to next destination..cycling for 5-6 hrs.

My lst multi-day bike trip (and hauling my own sleeping bag, clothing) was 500kms. in Vermont. I didn't know how to use my multiple bike gears properly. Vermont has rolling hills. And drove my partner a little nuts from frustation.

Needless to say, I learned after returning from trip how to make my cycling easier by understanding which gears to use.

For chatty & others:
I asked the cycling women forum members to tell you all their stories of: benefits of cycling, their age and why they love it. Also weight loss stories. I didn't realize until now, how many women in our age bracket and up.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=277970#post277970

Dotsie: You told me you loved your bike as a child...well, here is evidence, it is never too late to return to childhood bliss.

#129442 - 01/15/08 08:58 PM Re: older women: cycling-response to chatty,Hannelore [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks orchid. Hmmm, I might have to think about biking again, but it would definetly have to be something I'd do with hubby. We have talked about it, but that's as far as we've gotten.

I recall riding bikes everywhere. Even when I was as old as 14 and 15, we would ride bikes soemtimes 8-9 miles from home. Gosh, that was fun. I think if I got back into riding bikes, it would have to be on trails because I can't stand dodging traffic. That means we'd have to get bikes and a bike rack.

#129443 - 01/15/08 09:54 PM Re: older women: cycling-response to chatty,Hannelore
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WOW, Orchid these are great. Answered all my questions, and what a nice looking forum too. I put it in my Favorites to refer back to from time to time. Thanks!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#129444 - 01/17/08 12:49 AM Re: older women: cycling-response to chatty,Hannelore [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Exercise?

#129445 - 01/17/08 12:55 PM Re: older women: cycling-response to chatty,Hannelore [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I say WOW too... and thank the ladies for sharing.
Can you ask them a couple of other questions?

The age ranges vary, as do the years cycling.
I think both tires are flat on our bikes, but...

1. If we are on the upper end of the scale & haven't biked for ages, how would we get started and do as little harm as possible to our bodies?

2. What is the best type of bike for older ones to use?

3. Should we seek a pro to advise because of current lifestyles?

I remember riding as a child. I'd ride for hours, up and down the neighborhood streets. I've not none that feeling since. I think it would be fun to get it back, and the weight loss would be a BIG bonus. Darn it, there is so much I'd like to do, get into, change... my life is in such an unwelcomed mess, right now, though. But any information can be stored for a later date.

Thanks orchid for taking the time on this... I can't believe you've won my interest to biking.

#129446 - 01/17/08 08:54 PM Re: older women: cycling-response to chatty,Hannelore [Re: gims]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
1. If we are on the upper end of the scale & haven't biked for ages, how would we get started and do as little harm as possible to our bodies?

It is recommended that you use a bike that fits you. Do drop by several bike stores. Not Walmart. You can always go home and try cycling the one that you have already to compare. But keep in mind, during first few days of cycling, you will be abit sore. Go only a few miles first time. And helpful if you aren't comfortable to go with another cyclist who bikes abit more often.

A helmet is highly advisable. Later you might want to wear sunglasses so that bugs and dirt don't suddenly blind you while biking.

I would not recommend a beach cruiser bike for regular bike rides. A bike with several different bike gearing speeds is most helpful, to help you go up and down little hills, or to cope with a headwind. Even a bike over 20 gear speeds is helpful. You will thank yourself, believe me.

Wear looser clothing that don't have thick seams that chafe. ie. wearing jeans, unless very loose is just a lousy idea.

Wearing sneakers and beach rubber thongs is painful thought (to me) while cycling. There is no sole shoe stiffness to push the pedal around and around. For returning to cycling, start off with a running shoes that aren't too bulky at the sole. You'll want to feel the pedal.

After a few years, I got toe cages which hold my feet on pedal and prevents my feet from slipping off pedals when I want spin pedals faster or ride longer.

2. What is the best type of bike for older ones to use?

For returning to cycling, a bike that puts you in a slightly more upright position. However if you've always biked dropped down, more horizontal back on bike, then great. A hybrid bike of light weight frame is good. A heavy bike is abit of a curse when pulling yourself up a hill or going for long rides. Mountain bikes are ok but unless you are into riding off-road rocky/stony trails alot or cycling on snow/ice, what's the point? Usually they tend to be abit heavier, because the wheels are alot knobbier and heavier for dirt traction/grip.

You want your handlebars to be shoulder-width, your leg on ground while seated on bike, must have a slight bend at knee....in case you suddenly need to stop without falling on your face. I will try to find an article on bike fit.

3. Should we seek a pro to advise because of current lifestyles?

I strongly recommend dealing with bike shop personnel who don't treat you like an idiot just because you are a woman.

Do any of your children bike /live in same city? If yes,to both, it might help you...and they might welcome a different activity with mother that they had forgotten.

#129447 - 01/21/08 03:46 PM Re: trying something new
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Hello all you fabulon women! I"ve read all the posts to this original one from Dotsie and have to say there is so much good info here. I didn't know where else to post this but it will surely be something different for some of you, ever considered joining a walking club and entering some form of "race?" I say race but really for me and some friends it's just a goal rather than a competition.
For a 3rd year in a row, my best friend and I will power walk, (Well she jogs but I'm in the unhappy knee category so no pounding for this girl) the MORE Magazine Half Marathon for women over 40. We started as a "well what the hell and it will be something different" for her birthday as the date coincided that year. We trained little, figured "how bad could it be?" and lived to tell the story but not in full sentences. But we were hooked.
So last year we shaved 15 minutes off of our time and had done a better job of getting ready physically. This year I had a vision of coming in at 2:46:03 on the clock over the finish line. You can see we are not talking speed here just the joyous feeling of doing something which celebrates our health, friendship, and finishing the job.
Last year we decided that a few spa treatments, starting with a sauna, then a massage and finally foot pampering were in order and boy did that feel good.
I've got 2 medallions on beautiful ribbons from the two previous races and I can't wait to add my 3rd. If you'd like to follow our pre-race training and occasional bitching and moaning about said training we've got a blog-www.chrisandgreg.wordpress.com.
Whatever you choose my BW, keep moving for your mental and physical health. It's important whether the scale moves or not.
best
G

#129448 - 01/21/08 03:50 PM Re: trying something new [Re: mscoach]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
mscoach, that sounds great. Did I overlook the miles you two walked for the MORE challenge?

And who gave you the medallions?

#129449 - 01/22/08 02:30 AM Re: trying something new [Re: jawjaw]
mscoach Offline

Loc: Hampton Bays, NY
Ah, distance, it's 13.2 miles and the medallions are given by MORE mag and are placed around your neck after you get our official time. Very exciting I must say. I've kept my number tags as well, you know those things you see on people's chest when they are doing something like this? I have no use for them but I keep them none the less.

#129450 - 01/23/08 05:45 PM Re: trying something new [Re: mscoach]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
orchid, I want to thank you for all your input about cycling. I was seriously considering it. I priced bikes - that was a big "Good Grief$$$" and a number one stop sign. I found a used one at a thrift store, but it needed help...more $$.
Also, I tried balancing myself on my DH's (which has dry rotted tires) and couldn't... even with a retainer wall right next to me as a mental crutch. I can actually say I was timid (not a better word for how I was feeling) with the bike between my legs. It was very upsetting for me... As a child, I rode up and down and all around (of course, the variant speed bikes hadn't even come onto the scene, at least not in my life) - I was free when I rode my bike, and I loved the feeling... I could even stand on the seat, after getting it moving. I guess, in my mind, I thought I could revisit those years, with your type of cycling, to recondition my body. I'm laughing at the very idea that I thought I might be able to do it. But, I want to thank you for giving us all of the information that you did. Maybe some can use it, and use it well.
Blessings (I envy you girl!, but not in a bad way.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved