The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#129421 - 10/16/07 03:01 PM trying something new
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know some of you have been listening to me rant and go on about walking all these miles and gaining weight.

I've appreciated all your feedback and am doing soemthing differently. Here you go:

Thanks to orchid mentioning that I need to add something or do something differently, I've decided to do so. And in doing so, I'm realizing that all this walking isn't getting my heart pumping enough.

I've been to the Y twice the past couple days and done the elyptical. My heart has pounded more and I have sweat more than any of the times I've walked. I guess I need to run to make a difference and I can't do that because of my knees.

So anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've had a rude awakening. Doing something different is exactly what I need. I'm considering stopping the walking because it is dark for half the walk, which I don't like. And now I feel like it's a waste of time. Sigh... after all these years.

However, I will find time to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors because that does so much for me emotionally!

What are you doing for exercise these days?

#129422 - 10/16/07 06:03 PM Re: trying something new
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Boy, wish I could join you Dotsie. I don't lose weight walking either. I'm feeling motivated after reading your post. You go girl...and me go too!!!!!

#129423 - 10/16/07 06:25 PM Re: trying something new [Re: Edelweiss]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Hmmm...this sounds too familiar...I walk our dog 3 miles every day but haven't lost an ounce in 4 years. We recently bought a big trampoline and put it at the bottom of our field (completely out of sight from anyone other than cattle!) and I bounce on it sometimes with my MP3 player on...it is SO much fun!! Absolute silly, joyous bouncing...I feel like Tigger! Apparantly 10 mins of bouncing is the same as a 2 mile run! BOING!!

#129424 - 10/18/07 10:20 PM Re: trying something new [Re: Countrygirl]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hannelore, I wish you were here too.

Countrygirl, I guess you are a real country girl if you have cattle. The bouncing sounds like fun. I'm afraid I couldn't do it due to my crazy knees. Good for you that you can still do this.

#129425 - 10/19/07 11:09 AM Re: trying something new
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Dotsie, the cattle belong to our neighbors, thank goodness! And well...I can still do bouncing, but only for a couple of minutes at a time!! Hee Hee Hee!

#129426 - 10/29/07 01:11 PM Re: trying something new [Re: Countrygirl]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm still mixing in going to the Y with walking. I'm getting use to it. Sigh... It's about time I use that membership.

#129427 - 10/29/07 10:00 PM Re: trying something new
muskateerette Offline

Loc: southwestern Idaho
Dotsie, I was so glad to read on your post that you like to walk because it helps you emotionally. Me too! I wondered why I would start to feel kinda depressed if I hadn't walked in 3 or 4 days, until one day, while listening to Dr. Laura, she mentioned some of us need the help of physical exercise "chemically". A good walk is like taking medicine for me. And, when my hubby and I walk together it's good conversation time together.

[url=http://theheartofthehomeblog.blogspot.com
"A recipe and hospitality blog"

#129428 - 01/01/08 09:46 PM Re: trying something new
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Dotsie
Two years ago I gave up the walking for the very same reason. However, I didn't do anything different so the weight piled on. So 6 months ago I started walking again. It about did me in to walk 2 miles which I use to be able to do in less than 1/2 hour but I walk with two other ladies who are seasoned walkers. For a time they slowed down for me then one day we all realized that they didn't have to slow down any more. I could walk without huffing and puffing and even talk at the same time! Now we do 4 miles 5 days a week and even with all our gabbing have managed to set a new record - 4 miles in 53 minutes. I have dropped 21 pounds and two dress sizes because the inches are melting away. I've kind of reached a plateau so I just started strength training exercises with light weights and a few pilates. I feel beter already.

"If you want something you've never had, you've got to do something you've never done."

#129429 - 01/01/08 10:39 PM Re: trying something new [Re: Bookie]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I walk every day too and don't lose any weight. I joined a gym and went five times a week for a year. Spent an hour on the treadmill and did not lose a pound. My doctor told me that 92% of weight loss is diet. I have a friend who had gastic bypass surgery. She lost over 100 pounds in one year and didn't exercise or walk at all. The reason she lost weight is because she cut her calorie intake. There have been studies with people who cut calories and didn't exercise and people who just exercised and ate the same and the people who cut calories lost the weight.

I thought I didn't eat very much and I don't compared to what I used to eat years ago but it has to be my portions.
So my new years resolution is to keep a food diary. I eat without even thinking and I'm sure I am consuming much more calories than I realize.

Exercise keeps the doctor away, keeps stress away and makes you feel wonderful, but, doing exercise and not cutting the calories will not help you lose weight. There was a show on this subject on CNN and they were not discouraging exercising at all but the scientists and doctors did come to the conclusion that it's all about calorie intake, not exercise.

This was a controversial show because they talked about the billion dollar fitness industry, diet industry etc. etc. They do not want people to know this.

I for one love to walk outdoors and mix it up with the gym. I lift weights and that is good for boomer women as we need to do weight training for our health and bones and to maintain muscle.

I'm trying the calorie reduction and will continue to exercise and hope it slowly comes off. I started the G.I. Diet today. http://www.gidiet.com
My fitness instructor at the gym told me this is what I need to lose the weight, in combination with working out of course. So, it's a new year and I'm going to try it.

Also, I was sent a wonderful book by Darlene full of helpful exercises which you write down and work through. Her info has been invaluable to me.

Here's hoping I'm on to something. But it's really simple we just don't want to admit it. Cut out all the white stuff, process stuff, sugar etc. Eat lots of vegetables and lean meat and fish. Cut out the red meat (contributes to cancer in women) Cut down on cheese, fat, butter dairy products in general and of course desserts. The sad but true fact and deep down we all know it.
Kate

#129430 - 01/02/08 03:02 AM Re: trying something new [Re: katebcca]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Bookie, good for you for getting back in to it. Maybe I'm not walking fast enough.

Kate, I'm not keeping a food diary, but I am going to exercise mroe and eat less. My approach is not to go all out, but to do it gradually . Hopefully the new habits will stick and the weight won't stick.

We were at a party today and their was a hubby and wife team there. He needs to lose 8 pounds and she needs to lose 3 pounds. I giggled to myself and thought, are you kidding me? And you're worried aobut THAT!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved