The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 217 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1321 - 08/30/05 01:47 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Also, been put off by the church. Searching for a home church for awhile now.
Last church was school and college. Happened to volunteer for the library, before school opened.
While there met a wonderful lady in her early 70"s by the name of Jinny. Jinny and her husband had come to the church as teachers in 1998, moved and settled here. Taught for couple of years, before the church found replacements. Jinny's husband actually worked for Penny's for two years after teaching for two. Jinny was moved to child care, for couple of years and then off to the library for less than 32 hours a week, so no insurance. Her husband has had several setbacks health-wise this last year. So, insurance would greatly benefit them. Realize the church has kept them on, but I honostly feel "they can afford to do more". Most of the members seem to just float on air. Not even sure they will notice we are not attending any longer.
So sad people seems to busy to care anymore.
Hurts my heart.

#1322 - 08/30/05 03:16 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Brenda, I can relate to your sadness that even people in church seem to be too busy to care anymore. Before we moved to Ottawa, we were very active in a very warm, dynamic church with incredible music and powerful ministry. Then we moved here, "shopped" around for quite awhile before finding a congregation that seemed dynamic and authentic. But we went to that church (well, hubby gave up after a couple of months, but I, the eternal optimist at the time, kept persevering), sat in the same general area, every Sunday for over a year. Both hubby and I would greet the same faces around us every Sunday and try to get involved in conversations with the people close by, but nobody ever seemed to remember us from one Sunday to the next.

When my Dad died, it was too painful to go back to that church where I was clearly an invisible nobody. I went back once, a few weeks after Dad's death, and sobbed all the way through. Even then nobody seemed to care in the least. So after a lifetime of being heavily involved in church, I stopped going altogether.

It took me a long time to find the one we go to now. It's a completely different denomination, ministered by a guy I used to babysit when he was just a little boy. It's a wonderful, caring, warm congregation...a lot like here! It was well worth the pain and searching that it took to get us there. So don't give up. Some congregation out there needs you as much as you need them!

#1323 - 08/31/05 12:25 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Eagle Heart, I will continue to keep searching. Just so thought this was the church God had lead me to. Several months ago we had made a visit to a church near our home. Sadly, once was enough. After arriving home hubby and I were sitting on the front porch discussing our visit, telling hubby just wish God would give me a sign, lead me to where he wants.
Words had just left my mouth...when a large white van pulls up front... name of the church all over the side door, my friend waving from the driver's seat. Now, would that seem like a sign to you?
Sounds really strange but he has been showing me so many things lately, mainly people not doing the right thing. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not without fault, no one is perfect except God. But, it just seems he has put me in so many circumstances where I just want to yell "that is so wrong"! Know there is a lesson in all of this, think instead of whispering he needs to just yell at me, cause I beginning to feel a bit dense.
Still praying for guidance, in Jesus precious name.

#1324 - 08/31/05 03:44 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
Eagle Heart Offline

Brenda, I would have jumped to the same conclusion too about that the white van driving by just as your hubby was asking God for a sign...if that wasn't "God-incidence", what is?! Sometimes the answers come by way of a series of stepping stones which ultimately lead to the ultimate answer we are looking for. Maybe this is the case, where this church served a needed purpose in your life for that length of time, but now it's time to move on to the next stepping stone to the church that will either be your "home church" or lead to the next stepping stone.

It's frustrating being a pilgrim, especially when we hunger for a community that feels like home for our souls. Unfortunately, no congregation will ever be perfect, and no church will ever be without its share of dark corners. Something I read in an Ann Lander's column way back in the 1970's has often helped me when I've been faced with frustrating situations and people in the church...she suggested that the church was never meant to be "a hotel for saints, but a hospital for sinners." Personally, it has always given me hope that there might even be room for me within that definition of church.

[ August 30, 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#1325 - 08/31/05 04:29 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
yepthatsme2 Offline

"Church was never meant to be "a hotel for saints, but a hospital for sinners."
So, true... thanks so much for sharing.

#1326 - 08/31/05 05:00 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I love that saying. Its a keeper!

JJ

#1327 - 08/31/05 09:42 PM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
So it was Ann Landers who said that? I've posted that in here before as something my old minister said. I thought he made it up.

Your posts remind me of a dear friend who recently relocated and is dying to join a church. They have visited churches all summer and NO ONE has introduced themsleves, or welcomed them. Pretty sad.

This just makes me want to reach out more within my sanctuary.

For those not faithfully attending a specific church:
This happened to me after working at my church. I wandered, checking out other church homes in the area. It was during that time that I chose to do daily Bible reading, journaling, and keeping a prayer folder. Though I wasn't feeling connected to a church family, I felt more connected to God than ever before. Community is important, and so is daily communication with our Lord.

This is a great topic.

#1328 - 08/31/05 10:01 PM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
Eagle Heart Offline

Dotsie, I don't know for sure if it was Ann Landers who created the saying or if she was quoting it. But it sure found a home in my heart. I remember an aquaintance of mine sharing that she had stopped going to church because it was so full of hypocrites...her comments almost made ME stop going, because I'm fully aware that I'm one of those hypocrites; no matter how hard I try to be the "perfect Christian", I will never be able to attain that goal. That imperfection used to bring me shame. Now it just brings me closer to God's mercy and unconditional love. And it was this quote that reminded me that church is exactly where "hypocrites" (like me) need to be.

#1329 - 09/01/05 12:36 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Just love that fellowship, believers who are joined with joy & love to praise the Lord. Gathered together in one place for one purpose.

Really big need for me, as a child dad was a very strict, controlling, physically abusive man that drank much.
Brother and myself, never left the yard, except for school. In fact we couldn't even play with the next door children between the fence, no reason given.

Mom had a friend who lived across the street, Mrs. Winters, I'll never forget that woman's name. Come what may, this lady was in church ever Sunday.

Mrs. Winters asked mom about my going to church with her....mom referred her to dad.
Imagine, my delight to find out he had agreed.
Baptisted at the age of 7, found my new best friend Jesus.

Remember riding my bike round and round the yard singing "I have a joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart."

Sometimes, I am not able to put into words what I truly feel in my heart so....
(Please, don't get me wrong I loved my dad, he just had alot of things within. Never able to find the peace he needed, died of a self inflicted gunshot wound).

Just looking for a bit of joy.
In the time being, already started a online bible study. Prayers, & bible reading are a constant, couldn't make it without them.
So, I keep lookin and praying for a church home. [Smile]

#1330 - 09/01/05 03:21 AM Re: ignoring God's whispers?
Eagle Heart Offline

I spent over 20 years heavily involved in the Charismatic Renewal, going to prayer meetings 2-3 times a week, conferences several times a year all over North America, healing Masses and weekend retreats. How I miss those gatherings now. The powerful joy and healing presence of hundreds (thousands at the conferences) of people praying and singing praise to God was beyond description.

I've never felt that exquisite joy and peace in any other setting. But the memory of all those voices lifting up with praise and singing like that still makes my heart leap for joy. Sigh. I really miss that level of fellowship.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved